Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 4:08:28 PM EDT
would you trust a grand as a "SHTF" rifle?

i just courious as ive never owned one but may sell my ar to get one....

i just love the clasic look of them and am a big ww2 buff.

go easy on me please
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure.  Other than low ammo capacity as compared to more modern rifles its a fine weapon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I wpuld'nt worry about the low ammo capacity, M1's can be reloaded very rapidly, faster than a Ak...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I sure would,
once you shoot one, you will love it.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Low ammo?  8 rds of 30-06,,clips self eject reload as to avoid Garand thumb.
There's a reason this rifle lasted from WWII til Korea,,it's dependable.
You  can easily hunt with 30-06,,clips are about a buck,,

I'd take my Garand before my 14,,just MHO
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I can reload and accurately shoot my Garand very nearly as fast as I can my M1A. Don't have to worry about losing my mags either.

I would feel VERY well armed with any one of my Garands but especially my near new post war Springfield and HRAs.

Truely, you can run but you can't hide from me and my Garand.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
SHTF?  The Garand has been there... and back.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Low ammo?  8 rds of 30-06,,clips self eject reload as to avoid Garand thumb.
There's a reason this rifle lasted from WWII til Korea,,it's dependable.
You  can easily hunt with 30-06,,clips are about a buck,,

I'd take my Garand before my 14,,just MHO

The reason the Garand lasted as long as it did is because the government (military) was in a draw down after WWII.  they did not have money to spend on new rifle development when the was no forseeable need due to all "evil had been defeated in the world".
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The Garand has proven itself in SHTF situations more so than any other rifle on the planet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The only bad thing about the Garand is that it ejects the clip which can become lost or damaged and in a SHTF scenario replacements would not be a phone call away.That being said,the 8 rd capacity of the Garand is not a hindrance.If the SHTF the last thing you want to do is engage in a protracted gun fight.You'll likely be sorely lacking in logistics as well as medical aid,even a non life threatening wound could become fatal or at the very least compromise your ability to stay alive.To survive  common sense dictates avoidance.Engaging a foreign invader or zombie horde changes things ..Then the aim is not staying alive but victory,preferably with you still vertical when it's over.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
My Garand would not be my first choice. My first choice would be one of my FNs. Then my M1A, then my Garand. Simply because of mag capacity.

However, if I had to, I would not hesitate to depend on my Garand. She has been very reliable and more than accurate enough to keep the BGs out of my AO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The only bad thing about the Garand is that it ejects the clip which can become lost or damaged and in a SHTF scenario replacements would not be a phone call away.That being said,the 8 rd capacity of the Garand is not a hindrance.If the SHTF the last thing you want to do is engage in a protracted gun fight.You'll likely be sorely lacking in logistics as well as medical aid,even a non life threatening wound could become fatal or at the very least compromise your ability to stay alive.To survive  common sense dictates avoidance.Engaging a foreign invader or zombie horde changes things ..Then the aim is not staying alive but victory,preferably with you still vertical when it's over.

I have over 2000 rounds of 30/06 M2 ball loaded in enblock clips and then in bandoleers. You can store your ammo in enblock clips forever without worring about springs wearing out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't have a Garand, and I do have an AR (and new M1A). But I have no beef with the Garand, and I intend to get one eventually. But for SHTF purposes, I simply cannot imagine choosing a Garand over an AR. You may have heavy firepower with the M1, but you'll have a LOT more with the AR. There are a few cases where the .30-06 round would be much nicer to have than the .223, but most would not require a round of that size. If that was not the case, then the miliary would still be handing Garands, M14's, or some other large-bore rifle to the average infantryman. I recommend you keep your AR if SHTF is part of your reason for owning a rifle, and save to get the Garand. It took me months, but I managed to keep my AR and get an M1A. It was worth waiting for...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
It worked for the guy in "Jaws":

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top