Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:05:11 AM EDT
What procedures do you guys follow when cleaning your Garand? I just got one a few weeks ago and was looking on tips for cleaning my Garand. Do I need some kind of bore guide like I use on my AR or will just using a Dewey rod suffice?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Bit difficult to clean from the breach end on a M1 Garand, don't ya think?

You can, but not with a Dewey rod type set-up, although a bore-snake allows it, so NO you don't need a bore guide.

FWIW, I clean my Garand from the muzzle, being very careful not to damage or nick the crown.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I clean Garands from the breach using an Otis cable system.  Works great.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you field strip your rifle before cleaning? How often do you break your rifle down and fully clean, oil and apply grease?

I have also seen the bore guides that you can put into the muzzle and then clean from the muzzle. Is one of these worth getting if the best way is to clean from the muzzle?

I have an Otis cable but I was under the impression they didn't clean quite as well as a good cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The Otis cable is actually better than a rod because you aren't pushing crud down the barrel into the chamber area.

Shoot only non-corrosive ammo and you won't have to field strip every time.  Every time you remove the rifle fron the stock, you loosen the fit just a bit.  And you will need several settling shots to get the rifle back to where it was.  

If I am shooting a lot, I field strip at the beginning of the season and then again when I am done and storing the rifle for a while.  

I do clean the chamber with a chamber brush after  every other outing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're cleaning from the muzzle turn the rifle upside down. Then the solvent won't run into the gas system and the action.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
A worthwile investment. 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Muzzle guide, one piece coated rod.

Slide the rod down the barrel from the muzzle end.

Place CLP soaked patch in holder tip, screw holder tip onto rod end.

Pull from breech to muzzle.

Remember, you are not shooting corrosive ammo like the GI's were back in the "good ole days", so there is no need to scrub the living crap out of the barrel after ever time you shoot it.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Bore Snakes suck ass, they are great if you like to drag the same crap through the barrel each time you clean.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top