Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 7:27:22 PM EDT
I have a Polytech M1A and was wondering if you guys would be helpfull with some ammo recramedations. Would Surplus Military SMA308RO be to much. It was made in 86 in India & has a brass case.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a Polytech M1A and was wondering if you guys would be helpfull with some ammo recramedations. Would Surplus Military SMA308RO be to much. It was made in 86 in India & has a brass case.

Stay away from Indian ammo.

Look for Aussie or Port.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I use south african.Im trying to get some wolf .308.I have a polytech as well....is yours an IDE MICHIGAN marked one..those were some of the best ones.My smith tested the metal and found it was hard enough.With cheap price and a chrome lined barrel I think my polytech is better than current production springfields that aerent forged receiver or parts and dont have chrome lined barrels...id love a soccom springfield at least if it were chrome lined..I have a couple of GI parts kits so rebuilding with those wouldnt be a problem.My polytech has been modified for a GI bolt and rebarreled with a springfield original GI barrel.Older springfields that have GI barrels or even completely built with a GI parts kit is a real nice find.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
is yours an IDE MICHIGAN marked one...

Yes it is.

I love my poly! Nice rifle. I have not made any changes to it minus a G.I. bolt & synthetic stock that I built up to look like the McMillan sniper stocks, oh I refinished it & painted the stock as well. Once I get a Digital Camera I will post pics of it, it is nice. I have to get a Harris Bipod for the front, a scope mount and put on a new flish hider still. I am going to top it off with a Super Sniper 10x Scope.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Where do you guys get your Port, Aussie or Indian? Would the Wolf 308 be Safe?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd also avoid Indian...  I always apply the rule of "if its a country in which I wouldn't drink the water, I won't shoot the ammo either..."  While it may work for some, for how much M1A's cost, I'd hate to have a Ka-Boom.

Port can be had from the Ammunitionstore.com, as thats the one place locally that I've gotten a few cans from.

Aussie has been more and more difficult for me to find locally, however there is a lot of argentine mfg'd aussie contract ammo which has turned up for a decent price.  

Also I think Kyimports.com has some Santa Barbara ammo which is quite good as well.  

And, for what its worth, I've been seeing some Malayasian .308 turning up locally, I'm not sure where its coming from but I'm getting it when I see it.  

I'd also check out South African.  While its not as good as port or aussie, my Fulton rack grade really likes it (With the cold weather I've only got access to an indoor range locally, but the target was shot with 20rds of SA with iron sights the other day)  Aimsurplus has it for about $154ish for 950+ rounds.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replys and the links. I found the 308 Santa Barbra, good price too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The IDE MICHIGAN ones are among the best of the chineses imports and were made properly.They hold their value used at $900 to 950.Ive got like 12000+ rounds on mines over the last 13 years..got mine new for $550 back then.Im glad I had the sense to buy the parts kits back then.I paid $600 a piece at that time 1 springfield and 1 winchester.Used the springfield one on my current rifle..thinking of getting a quality M14 receievr by LRB and assembling the parts kit onI have now.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two IDE poly's I've shot the snot out of one of them 2000's plus round's not one FTF or FTE     no headspace problem a little long for 308 but still right where it was when I bought new. DON'T SHOT INDIAN AMMO BIG KABOOM WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top