Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 1:45:14 PM EDT
I have a Scout I bought last year and want to put an EO tech on the front rail.  Has anyone done this?  Plan on only shooting out to 200 yards. Good idea?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
From reports on other boards the Eotech isn't doing well on the forward rail. It seems the rail is acting like a heat sink and with the Eotech mounted directly to the rail it is having adverce effects or the sights reliablity.

Karsten
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a Scout I bought last year and want to put an EO tech on the front rail.  Has anyone done this?  Plan on only shooting out to 200 yards. Good idea?

I had my Scout set up this way and it was great out to 300 yards - I'm sure it would be fine farther out...

The problem is heat. The forward mount wraps around the barrel and heats up the optic, any optic, real fast.
Heat is not good for batteries.

My solution was to mount the rifle in a SAGE stock and use the front rail. This DAWG will hunt.

Another solution is to install a Knight's RAS on your GI stock.

HTH ~
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I put an Aimpoint Comp M2 and an old style ARMS # 18 on Mrs. Different's M1A.  It works like a champ.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm, I had to go lookup a recent thread "across the street" on this subject that I remembered.In that experiment, an Eotech on a Scout mount went 378 rounds at roughly one round every second or two before the batteries went dead from heat. That tells my "payin' for my own ammo and weapons since I'm a civilian puke now" butt that it's basically a non-issue.Since I'm no longer in the military, I no longer partake in mad minutes or spendex's, and if I'm ever in a situation that I have to fire several hundred rounds thru one of my '14 clones in under twenty minutes, I'm probably gonna be dead before my batteries go dead anyhoo.

That said, I got rid of my Eotech awhile back rather than put it on my new Bush build with an ARMS mount simply because I didn't like how much extra height and bulk the Eotech adds to a '14. I loved the Eotech on my M4gery, but when you stick one on a flattop AR you are adding very little to the profile over a traditional carry handle setup, but on a'14 it's more like adding 1/4 or 1/3 the height of the rifle on it. Just not to my liking on these rifles.

Someday, somewhere, someone will make a properly executed barrell mount for the M14. By that I mean with some sort of insulation or coating incorporated into it so heat becomes even more of a non-issue. Possibly some ventilation holes could be added as well without sacrificing strength, switching from alum. to steel, etc.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Use an EOthing on your Scout with confidence. Just have a spare set of batteries handy just in case.

Edit: I've run 220 rounds through a Scout (w/EOTech) in fairly short order (1-2 second interval between shots, only breaking to switch out mags) on an indoor range. The heat shimmer off the barrel was really bad - but the EOTech worked 100%. There's a good thread over at another site that clears this up well- someone even got an email response from someone at EOTech that said their sights were made to be used on machine guns, but the battery chemistry was the weak point.

Carry a spare set of batteries and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Eotech on a SOCOM and it works great.  Only shot it on the 25 and 50 yard targets so far.  Only had 100 rds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all the replies, looks like it's a go. I will post a pic when it's done.  I agree with bishopm14, if I am firing 300+ rounds, one every second, probably not gonna make it anyway.
Seeing the Sage stock has me hooked, anyone carry them other than Fulton?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Seeing the Sage stock has me hooked, anyone carry them other than Fulton?

Clyde Armory ask for Josh.

Check out the saga of the SAGE HERE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top