Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 6:06:59 PM EDT
I got my first M1A today!!!!

Its a SOCOM-16, today I ordered a USGI synthetic stock from Fred's Stocks with the intention of taking off about 1-1/2 inches off the butt, then use a slim pachmyer or some similar pad in lue of the metal but plate.

Has anyone here done this?  I am trying to make this rifle as compact as possible without spending $700 on a retractable stock.

Any pictures or other mods that I can incorporate into this new stock would be much appreciated...

Thanks!
Fargo
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Also,,... does anyone make a vortex flash hider for the SOCOM-16?  I havenot shot this shorty yet but I am guessing it needs a flash hider, not a muzzle brake.  What were they thinking?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I ordered a USGI synthetic stock from Fred's Stocks with the intention of taking off about 1-1/2 inches off the butt, then use a slim pachmyer or some similar pad in lue of the metal but plate.

Has anyone here done this?  I am trying to make this rifle as compact as possible without spending $700 on a retractable stock.

Any pictures or other mods that I can incorporate into this new stock would be much appreciated...

Track down member QuinlanV, his stock is pictured HERE on LAW483's web site.

Inspired, I had Tony build me a hybrid SAGE Chop Mod stock with a reduced LOP.

HTH ~
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't SEI make a Vortex FH that will work. I have done a bunch of Stubby Stocks and working on 3 right now. I section mine and put the stock back together still using the USGI butt plate.

These can be seen at www.imageseek.com/karsten in the Gallery.

Karsten
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think there are any aftermarket muzzle devices for the SOCOM yet, due to the unique construction, as in combining the gas cylinder lock with the comp. The normal M14 flash hiders, whether USGI style or aftermarket, won't work.
I have seen a custom piece done by Arizona Response Systems where the original comp/brake was removed from the gas cyl. lock and a short open ended FAL flash hider welded on, which  resembles a Vortex at first glance.Made for a good looking piece. From the pictures, you couldn't tell it wasn't factory.Was posted over on the FALfiles a month or two back. Gunplumber (Mark Graham) is the smith that did it and I *think* stated he would do the work with customer supplied parts , but don't quote me on that. I've slept since then.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
It's kind of hard to tell if there is enough metal behind the ported section of the factory brake for one to just hack off the ported bit, thread, and install the muzzle accessory of your choice.  Anybody tried?  Would this bring it shorter than 16", hence the welding done in the above account about the Gunplumber work?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Would this bring it shorter than 16", hence the welding done in the above account about the Gunplumber work?

Since the factory piece is easily removable, the SOCOM barrel is 16+" on its own.   Gunplumber's welding was probably his method of attaching a flashhider to a gas lock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Also,,... does anyone make a vortex flash hider for the SOCOM-16?  I havenot shot this shorty yet but I am guessing it needs a flash hider, not a muzzle brake.  What were they thinking?

Scroll down to the bottom of this page
This is the one bishopm14 is talking about.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Threaded, not welded. D'ohhhh. Damn late night posting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#10]
just replacing the flappered m14 buttplate with a garand buttplate will lose you a 1/2 in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Talk to QuinlanV.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
just replacing the flappered m14 buttplate with a garand buttplate will lose you a 1/2 in.

You don't even have to replace the buttplate, just press a couple roll pins out of the '14 piece and remove the shoulder rest. Doesn't leave a big honkin' gap in front of the buttplate as the Garand piece does. Although the length saved is more like  a quarter inch instead of a half inch.I'm not sure the Garand plate would save any more length, doesn't look like it to me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Talk to QuinlanV.

I sent Q a IM
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I went all out and had some work done by GAP. They shortened my M1A USGI to 18 inches and made an adapter to fit a 5/8 thread so I can place my vortex as will as my sound suppressor on it.  I am still waiting to get my rifle back to tell all how it went out. I also added a few other mods to it as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I have cut down several M14 stocks to shorten the LOP it is not very hard at all.

I just used my  chop saw so I could get a square cut.  The length that works best for me and will give about 11.5 LOPis right behind the rear sling hook up back about .5inches.

Once you cut it off all the styrofoam in the rear of the stock will neen to come out.(I used a drill with a spade bit)I also just drilled out the cleaning compartment.

To fill the end of the stock I used fiberglass fill that you would use on a car. (I got it at the auto pars store)Follow directions on can.

Once it hardens I sanded the butt flat and smooth again.Power sander is your friend for this project.

Get a pussy pad from yor sporting goods store Declerator worked best for me. Put it over the back and trace around it and rough cut it to fit, then sand smooth to size attach and it is done.

Sorry for any Spelling hope that helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top