Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 7:02:33 PM EDT
Kinda confused.

Seen this here and on LRBarms.com.

But a buddy of mine sends me this over the internet today.

The gas cylinder lock is crooked. And whats that other cylinder underneath the barrel?

'Splain this to me, Lucy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
interesting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Kinda confused.

www.tinypic.com/ih6trd.jpg

www.tinypic.com/ih6wx3.jpg
The gas cylinder lock is crooked. And whats that other cylinder underneath the barrel?

That is not a cylinder underneath the barrel. It is the end of the op rod where the piston would normally push on a standard M14. This is a compact system that moves the piston to the side and rearward on the barrel. The piston pushes on another flat surface farther back on the op rod. Personally I never like to see a gas port moved closer to the chamber, but whatever. When are long barrels and velocity going to come back in style?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
very interesting ! ....looks like front of op-rod? ......could gas cylinder have been shifted 45* and OR modified? ........call Lou

Longhunter
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a friend with a sopmod and am waiting for a e-mail back about what's going on there (gas or oprod)

I the meantime, here is another interesting (well, to me anyway) pic of a sort of wanna be sopmod:

Note:  This is a big pic and I suck at resizing them, so rather than post a huge pic, I put it in my photo album and hot linked it.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/cool-e/CSA-2005-10-28-093217.jpg
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Not that I don't like this variation (bastardization) of the M14/M1A, but at what point is a rifle not the same rifle anymore? I'd be hard-pressed to call that an M14. Other than the receiver itself, virtually every single part and component is different than an M14.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as I know the SOPMOD was designed for NSWC, but the SAGE Chop Mod stock was chosen.

Navy Seal MK14 Mod 0 - first issue.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a friend with a sopmod and am waiting for a e-mail back about what's going on there (gas or oprod)

Did you guys see my post above? I promise you that is the end of the oprod directly below the barrel. I have handled a few of these.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you guys see my post above? I promise you that is the end of the oprod directly below the barrel. I have handled a few of these.

+ 1 that is the end of the op rod.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am told the modification to relocate the gas cylinder does
involve welds and it is reversible, but only at the factory.

This is just one of the reasons the SAGE was chosen.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that a resin material I see? ...Is it lighter than a Sage? ...It looks like it could be, I kinda like the look of the SOPMOD over a Sage.

Longhunter
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it still a $3K+ conversion performed on a complete rifle that you supply?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:54:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Kinda confused.

www.tinypic.com/ih6trd.jpg

www.tinypic.com/ih6wx3.jpg

Either way, I'll take one!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

In the description it says you buy it complete,receiver ,barrel and all !

Longhunter
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the description it says you buy it complete,receiver ,barrel and all !

Longhunter

Roger that - how much $ ?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted by ChrisGene
When are long barrels and velocity going to come back in style?

Yeah, what is wrong with this?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When are long barrels and velocity going to come back in style?

Yeah, what is wrong with this?
www.tinypic.com/imp8xh.jpg

Nothing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]
'Cept maybe the lack of a "go fast" switch...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
...and I'd like to know just who in DoD has adopted this so-called "SOPMOD" system?  Okay, I'm waiting.  Still waiting.  Jeez, if I see one more bit of kit marked or hyped as "Special Operations"...

So correct me if I'm wrong, but there is only one "Special Ops Peculiar" M14-based system in the inventory: the USN and USAF MK14 Mod O.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#19]
This system is actually called Rock M-14 SOPMOD, designed by Mike Rock of Rock Creek Barrels.  Mike made it at the request of Crane NSWC, but Crane noticed Mike was using a Sage buttstock assembly in the conversion and decided to cut some of the fat from the bid by going directly to Sage Intl and having them make a similar system.  They went with Sage's design. Sage was also better equipped to put this out in the needed quantities.

Regarding the gas system, it's just a standard M-14 gas cylinder that has been moved rearward and canted.  The idea is that this redesign eliminates the double bend in the M-14 oprod (oprods usually break or crack at the bend due to the torque).  An M-14 oprod is shortened by cutting the bends out, so the gas piston now impacts the oprod where the first bend off the receiver would normally be. The result a straight oprod, and the gas piston and the oprod are in a direct line. Less torque and the oprods won't crack at that bend.  There's no modification to the receiver, just the barrel and a few parts.  The conversion can be reversed with a new barrel, oprod, oprod guide and spring (and a standard M-14 stock).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
An M-14 oprod is shortened by cutting the bends out, so the gas piston now impacts the oprod where the first bend off the receiver would normally be.

What a waste of USGI op rods
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#21]
If I remember correctly this system was designed for artic warfare for the US Military. Seems I saw it on one of the M-14 boards.  They look cool but personally I don't care for the bulky rail system nor have I handled a folding or Collapsing stock that I was really fond of when extended.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If I remember correctly this system was designed for artic warfare for the US Military. Seems I saw it on one of the M-14 boards.

You may be thinking of THIS
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
 They look cool but personally I don't care for the bulky rail system nor have I handled a folding or Collapsing stock that I was really fond of when extended.

+ 1 ...agreed...especially on a battle rifle !

Longhunter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top