Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 11:24:53 AM EDT
So i come out of the PX at Camp Arifjan , Kuwait and out of the corner of my eye i See a wood stocked gun. At first i thought it was a m1 and figured some little shit country was using them over here. The at with a closer look I saw he was wearing ACU's and it was one of the mew m14 semi rifles that the 101 was issued. Brand Spanking new. It was bone stock with no optics and looked heavy as shit compared to the m4s around him. I went over to talk to him and he said he was just issued it and he only got 1 mag and the rifle as a DM. I told him where he can pick up more mags cheap and cleaning supplies including this site. Was nice to see the trusty m1a in service over here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So i come out of the PX at Camp Arifjan , Kuwait and out of the corner of my eye i See a wood stocked gun. At first i thought it was a m1 and figured some little shit country was using them over here. The at with a closer look I saw he was wearing ACU's and it was one of the mew m14 semi rifles that the 101 was issued. Brand Spanking new. It was bone stock with no optics and looked heavy as shit compared to the m4s around him. I went over to talk to him and he said he was just issued it and he only got 1 mag and the rifle as a DM. I told him where he can pick up more mags cheap and cleaning supplies including this site. Was nice to see the trusty m1a M14 in service over here.

I fixed it for you
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My friend Jon was a DM over there and was only issued 2 mags with his rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I fixed it for you

Excellent
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
A real M14 semi auto, New 100% manufacture? Tell me it isn't so! It's just a refurb M14? Right!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I was told by a relaiable source they were still packed in cosmoline when the 101st recieved them
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was told by a relaiable source they were still packed in cosmoline when the 101st recieved them

With my experience concerning information flow and the military, I 'm sure with enough asking around you could find someone who saw them offloaded from a North Korean cargo ship at the Port of Baghdad.
"No shit, there I was...."

Standard M14's still in the cosmo? Realistically, probably straight from 1980s rebuilds. Lots of the M14s the gov. passed out in the last few years to law enforcement were in sealed packaging from Anniston dating to the early to mid 80s. Long term storage usually doesn't work out too well if you don't bring the stuff up to some kind of good repair beforehand.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for "refurbished" here. M14s haven't been made for decades and virtually all of them (if not all) have seen use at some point.

Many went through the shear during the 90s while the Clinton Administration was running things.

ETA: A buddy of mine has a couple of parts from a de-milled (sheared) M14. How sad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Another vote for "refurbished" here. M14s haven't been made for decades and virtually all of them (if not all) have seen use at some point.

Many went through the shear during the 90s while the Clinton Administration was running things.

ETA: A buddy of mine has a couple of parts from a de-milled (sheared) M14. How sad.

I will just give the obligatory "Clinton was a fucking idiot!" post here.

I will never understand why they would spend taxpayer dollars  to destroy stockpiled armaments like rifles which had already been paid for once with tazpayer dollars and which have no costs whatsoever if packed in cosmo and left in a warehouse.  No foresight at all, just using the "guns are bad!" illogic to make a decision...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Because guns are evil, scary and kill people.  We don't need a M14 to hund ducks either.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]
It is my understanding ( from internet reading) that there is a company that is making new semi only  M 14s for the Army.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is my understanding ( from internet reading) that there is a company that is making new semi only  M 14s for the Army.  

You know where that will get you, right?

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:52:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've got the rear of a demilled M16.  

Stupid government.    
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Smith Enterprise Crazy Horse.  This is my friend Jon with one;
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:53:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know where that will get you, right?

Yes, I do. That is why I included that caveat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:25:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/001188

Cool pic.  The Smith Enterprises are built using govt receivers right?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does it appear to still have a selector?

Interestingly, my dad (a Vietnam veteran), swears to high heaven that most M14s he saw DID NOT have selectors, including the one issued to him.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#17]
The selector is gone, but what you see is the little block/knob (it doesn't turn, but I don't know what the proper name for it is) that is installed in place of the selector.

ETA:  That's how you know it's an older M14 receiver, that it has that thing.  New semi only receivers amde by SA, LRB, etc don't have that thing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The selector is gone, but what you see is the little block/knob (it doesn't turn, but I don't know what the proper name for it is) that is installed in place of the selector.

It's called a selector lock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I went over to talk to him and he said he was just issued it and he only got 1 mag and the rifle as a DM.

1 mag?!?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool pic.  The Smith Enterprises are built using govt receivers right?

================
That is absolutely correct.  All M14SEs for the USG are based on USG-owned M14s.  the Receiver, trigger assembly, gas cylinder and bolt, op rod and rear sight assy are retained, refurbished and modified as required, thus saving the taxpayer large $$$$$.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So i come out of the PX at Camp Arifjan , Kuwait and out of the corner of my eye i See a wood stocked gun. At first i thought it was a m1 and figured some little shit country was using them over here. The at with a closer look I saw he was wearing ACU's and it was one of the mew m14 semi rifles that the 101 was issued. Brand Spanking new. It was bone stock with no optics and looked heavy as shit compared to the m4s around him. I went over to talk to him and he said he was just issued it and he only got 1 mag and the rifle as a DM. I told him where he can pick up more mags cheap and cleaning supplies including this site. Was nice to see the trusty m1a in service over here.

===========
The weapons are indeed brand spankin' new, manufactured in 1963, put away new and inspected in 1984.  The DMR's will soon receive Sage stocks (from Sage), Leupold 3.5-10 M3 TMR's, Smith NSN mounts and rings (all from SEI).  More mags on the way, too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#22]
not for nothing, but I saw a couple kids from the Red Falcons (82d ABN) carrying the EBR'd M14 when they showed up in Afghanistan this summer...I was surprised to see how experienced the M14 actions looked that were mounted in those snazzy EBR frames.  Also quite a few  wood or synthetic stocked M14's running around with an eclectic variety of 'scopes.
All The Way
-RED
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#23]
The M 14 in that pic has a gas lock front sight post.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!  

Quoted:

That's b/c the original froint sight and flash suppressor has been replaced with a SEI Vortex.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!  

Quoted:

That's b/c the original froint sight and flash suppressor has been replaced with a SEI Vortex.

====================
Keep in mind too, the entire weapon was rebuilt and converted by SEI and not just the GLFS and Vortex DC installed.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So does mine...

BTW: Mach6, I called SEI last friday (30 Sep) to order that #2008. Thought all was cool, until today I called back because they hadnt taken their money yet. They lost/shredded my order form! They were very apologetic, and quickly corrected the error. Hopefully my SEI 7" mount shows up this thursday! Thanks again for the info you provided!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Does the mean SEI is going to have GI take off barrels? (salivating)
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
What all does SEI do as part of the "Crazy Horse" package?  I didn't see it listed specifically as a package on their website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top