how do you like the setup
reviews please
and comparison to regular scopes also
what do you feel works best
ie magnification 10x 4x 5.5x 16x 20 x etc
scope height
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Need more info, What is the primary application of the rifle?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Many will answer with optics input.
What I will address is scope mounting height.
You need to mount the device as LOW as possible. The mounts that are secured to the receiver usually allow the use of very low rings, even with optics with large objective lenses.
If you are using a GI configuration stock, this is extremely important.
Take your rifle, and have somebody hold a toilet paper tube (no tissue on it) and rest it on top of the rear sight aperture.
You will see what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The best setup IMO is a ARMS 18 which is the lowest mount and the 3.5 TA 11 series.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
ACOG's on M1A's~!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
application for just plain shooting out to maybe avg 3-700 yds
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
im debating between a sn12 or sn4 by usoptics on the new troy stock. i cant decide if ill need to "dial it down" or not. obviously the adjustable gives me a larger useable range, but only if ill ever adjust it. if not then the sn12 would be fine.

mine is for 300~400 yards and less

anyone have any input on a variable 1~4 vs a fixeed 3.5?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ACOG's on M1A's~!!!

==============
Amen!  the SBCT in Alaska just bought some ACOGs with TA 70 mounts () from ADS and paid through the a$$ ($54K) for them.  Beyond stupid, IMHO.  They could have gotten really great SADLAK or SEI mounts and the Leupold Mark4 1.5-5X20 MR/T M2 w/SPR to meet their requirement in the numbers specified for about thirty percent less than what they paid.  Of course, do they care?  And will theis "Prime vendor" give them a lifetime warrant like Leupold will? NOT.  

Sorry for the rant...just a little tired of idiots in procurement not knowing what to order.  Anyway, the best all purpose scope for most apps from my perspective (i.e. mil) would be either the new 1.5-5 MR/T w/SPR, above or the Mark 4 3.5-10X40 LR/T M3 (M118LR) MIL DOT/TMR ILLUM.  SEI sells zillions of these to the military these days.  

Now as for civilians......whatever floats your boat.  Get a Burris or a Tasco.  I suppose they work fine enough on civie street (not to mention cheaper than L&S) and I've even seen a few in combat on M14s, believe it or not.    
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ACOG's on M1A's~!!!

==============
Amen!  the SBCT in Alaska just bought some ACOGs with TA 70 mounts () from ADS and paid through the a$$ ($54K) for them.  Beyond stupid, IMHO.  They could have gotten really great SADLAK or SEI mounts and the Leupold Mark4 1.5-5X20 MR/T M2 w/SPR to meet their requirement in the numbers specified for about thirty percent less than what they paid.  Of course, do they care?  And will theis "Prime vendor" give them a lifetime warrant like Leupold will? NOT.  

Sorry for the rant...just a little tired of idiots in procurement not knowing what to order.  Anyway, the best all purpose scope for most apps from my perspective (i.e. mil) would be either the new 1.5-5 MR/T w/SPR, above or the Mark 4 3.5-10X40 LR/T M3 (M118LR) MIL DOT/TMR ILLUM.  SEI sells zillions of these to the military these days.  

Well, speaking from experience, the units in Alaska aren't exactly known for getting the Army's best and brightest every time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
anyone have pics of ACOG'ed M1A's
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#10]
White Devils (82d ABN) here in Afghanistan are running around with quite a few ACOG'd woodstock M14's.  Don't know WHICH ACOG- the kids I've asked said "dunno- It was like this when I got it..."
All The Way,
RED
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top