Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 7:36:41 PM EDT
I looked at a Springfield M1A Scout tonight used but never fired for $949  i'm wondering if this is a good price and if anyone has any expieriences with these rifles  good or bad.  I like the scout for its size, its small but not to small.  i was looking at adding the leupold 2x5 scout scope to it.  Any thoughts?   What kind of accuracy should i expect?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
that's a steal of a price for new. I'd check the 3 major areas for USGI parts--bolt (visible), op rod and trigger group.  If you find any of the following, that's just gravy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell if you pass on that deal let me know I will take it. I would like to add another Scout to my safe.
This one needs a friend.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the heads up no question i'll buy it now.  What kind of bipod is that i'd like to put it on my soon to be scout.  Any thoughts on optics?  Hows the reliability of the scouts, do i need to do anything to make it more reliable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
thanks for the heads up no question i'll buy it now.  What kind of bipod is that i'd like to put it on my soon to be scout.  Any thoughts on optics?  Hows the reliability of the scouts, do i need to do anything to make it more reliable.

Before you shoot it.
Clean and grease the rifle. Make note of the ID stamp on all parts.
Secure a few GI mags and some NATO ball ammo.

Shoot with the iron sights and then consider your scope options.
I like the EOTech and the Leupold Scout scope on the forward rail.

The best way to mount a Harris bipod it with a QD stud installed in the stock.

Great deal BTW!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hows the reliability of the scouts, do i need to do anything to make it more reliable.

I've owned two, 132xxx and 139xxx. One was shipped from the factory with an extractor spring that was 2 coils too short, so extractor tension was nil. Once i replaced that little spring, it ran just fine.  I put about 2500 rounds through it before my brother liberated it from me.  The second one was troublefree, but it had less than 1000 rounds though it before i had to sell it.  Both had NO USGI parts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Get a USGI Bi Pod from Sarco. I got mine from there after having a cheep China copy at first.

Read up on some good info here.
www.m-14forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14376

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=186781

And if you want to go all out get  a SAGE stock. This is going to be the path for my Scout.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the help, this will be my first M14 platform weapon, though i've handeled and shot them quite a bit i've just never bought one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Is there any drama in mounting that vortex on the scout (or more accurately any trouble in getting the original muzzle break off)?

Quoted:
img144.imageshack.us/img144/2194/flag20ra.jpg

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
You need a 1/16" hex head wrench and M14 flash suppressor nut pliers to remove  the SA, Inc. muzzle brake (or traditional flash suppressor).
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Scout (actually in Bush configuration now). I like it--it's currently my "go-to" rifle (until I break in my 6920 at least). I've put exactly 1383rds through the tube, mostly Aussie, some Lake City. I've had three stoppages--1 failure-to-fire (probably ammo-related) and 2 failure-to-extracts (one of which required pliers to remove). Not 100%, but adequate.

I've said this here before, but since you asked, I'll say it again. I had a problem with SA Inc.'s op rod--it developed a worrying gouge after just a couple hundred rounds--cast junk apparently. I sold it and replaced it with a USGI op rod--no more problems. The SA Inc. bolt is also impossible to disassemble, even with a bolt tool. Replaced it with a USGI bolt and problem solved.

As for accuracy, it's more accurate than me and the mil-surp ammo I use.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Well i have sad news,  I'm not the only guy who thought it was a good idea, someone bought it an hour before i arrived.  So i put money on a Remmington 700 LTR in .308  Thanks again for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top