Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 1:14:15 PM EDT
OR so the shopkeeper says. Anybody know what the serial number range would be for a WWII SA Garand? He says '42 production.

Havent had a chance to see if all parts are serialized and match. Rifle looked used, but clean, got the greenish parkerizing. Don't know what the bore looks like, but it from an individual on consignment.

I'm I complete Noob when it comes to Garands, so any tips appreciated here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Your answers lie here...

www.jouster.com/serial/Springfield.html

Rich

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your answers lie here...

www.jouster.com/serial/iSpringfield.html

Rich

Thank you Sir
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
my pleasure.  Anything to make Garand-itis spread.  MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
my pleasure.  Anything to make Garand-itis spread.  MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich

I was infected at the range 2 weeks ago.
There I was, minding my own business, zeroing my LE6920, when these two gentlemen and their WWII Winchester Garand caught me looking at it and ask me if I wanted to shoot it. Never shot one before, so I said "sure" and shot a couple of clips! I was set up! Now I want one, bad!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rich

I was infected at the range 2 weeks ago.
There I was, minding my own business, zeroing my LE6920, when these two gentlemen and their WWII Winchester Garand caught me looking at it and ask me if I wanted to shoot it. Never shot one before, so I said "sure" and shot a couple of clips! I was set up! Now I want one, bad!

The first taste is always free said the pusherman
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OR so the shopkeeper says. Anybody know what the serial number range would be for a WWII SA Garand? He says '42 production.

Havent had a chance to see if all parts are serialized and match. Rifle looked used, but clean, got the greenish parkerizing. Don't know what the bore looks like, but it from an individual on consignment.

I'm I complete Noob when it comes to Garands, so any tips appreciated here.

M1 Garand parts are not serialized and they will never match. Most of the major parts on the Garand have a drawing number followed by a revision number and each part is different. In order to find out if the parts are "correct" for this particular rifle you will most likely need one of Scott Duff's books. He has several and in them you can find the correct drawing and revision number for that part for that rifle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, learning more everyday.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I don't worry about parts being "correct" - only if the rifle WORKS. Offhand all I can say is the serial should be under about 1 million if the rifle was made in 1942. The Jouster site has info on dates of production. My 1.8 million SA was made Aug 1943 I believe. Also, the barrel will have a month and year date.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Personally, I don't worry about parts being "correct" - only if the rifle WORKS. Offhand all I can say is the serial should be under about 3 million if the rifle was made in 1942. The Jouster site has info on dates of production. My 3.6 million SA was made Aug 1943 I believe. Also, the barrel will have a month and year date.

My 2.78 Million Springfield Armory Garand that I had a few years ago I was told was built in April of 1944 so I don't see how a 3.6 million could be made in August 1943. I also have heard that 3 million and up Springfield Garands are 1945 and later dated rifles. Or maybe the local Garand Collectors are wrong. I don't know. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Personally, I don't worry about parts being "correct" - only if the rifle WORKS. Offhand all I can say is the serial should be under about 3 million if the rifle was made in 1942. The Jouster site has info on dates of production. My 3.6 million SA was made Aug 1943 I believe. Also, the barrel will have a month and year date.

My 2.78 Million Springfield Armory Garand that I had a few years ago I was told was built in April of 1944 so I don't see how a 3.6 million could be made in August 1943. I also have heard that 3 million and up Springfield Garands are 1945 and later dated rifles. Or maybe the local Garand Collectors are wrong. I don't know. Thanks Arvin

Arvin is correct.

An SA 3.6 million would have been made in March or April of 1945. I seriously doubt an M1 produced that late saw any WWII action.

A 1942 production SA M1 would be in the range of 429812 to 1090310 serial number range according to Scott Duff's book.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag, need that info for later.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got my first Garand today, a Winchester made in October 1942. It's definitely "shooter" grade, though the stock is awfully nice. Paid $750 (including S&H and transfer fee, plus 16 clips, an ammo belt, and a rusty old bayonet). Probably more than it's worth, but what the hell. I needed a Garand!

Here it is with my Ithaca and IBM:

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet trio!
Too bad our gov't has made it so hard because a B.A.R. and Thompson would look nice in there too  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sweet trio!
Too bad our gov't has made it so hard because a B.A.R. and Thompson would look nice in there too  

Wouldn't they, though? The guy I bought the Ithaca from let me handle his WWII Thompson. Heavy as hell and the worst ergonomics of any gun ever, but I still want one. It cost more than my entire net worth, though .
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The one thing I have noticed about owning a M1 Garand is...............You'll want more than one

and you can never have enough USGI M2 Ball ammo
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The one thing I have noticed about owning a M1 Garand is...............You'll want more than one

Exactly.  You gotta have at least three so you can use the stacking swivels.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Personally, I don't worry about parts being "correct" - only if the rifle WORKS. Offhand all I can say is the serial should be under about 1 million if the rifle was made in 1942. The Jouster site has info on dates of production. My 1.8 million SA was made Aug 1943 I believe. Also, the barrel will have a month and year date.

This is a 1943 Springfield that I built from parts. There are no matchiing numbers,
but this thing is a blaster! It gobbles up Korean surplus like it's going out of style.

I ordered a barrelled receiver from the now defunct FAC for $169, bought a parts kit
for a hundred bucks out of the local paper and viola'!

ETA $600 is not a bad price for a decent Garand of any brand. I paid that much
for my pristine International Harvester, which is a very pretty gun but doesn't
cycle like it's supposed to.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

1942 SA production:  429,812 - 1,090,310
WW2 SA production:  (12/1/1941 - 8/31/1945)  401,530 - 1,640,000

Unless there is something special about this Garand, (uncut op rod, original WW2 barrel, cartouched stock, something) it is highly likely it was refurbished and has post war parts.  In that case, $600 is too much.  I doubt the rifle is any better than what you can get from the CMP for $350.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep think I'm goint to wait until I get my CMP rounds fired certificate in October.
Thanks for the info guys. This stuff is all new to me (after all, the Garand was my Dad's service rifle!)

_DR
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rich

+1

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rich

+1

img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/M1-Matt/3M1Garands.jpg

At the risk of sounding like an idiot...what's a stacking swivel?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It is so you can do what is in the pic. just above your post.

The stacking swivel is on the gas tube forward of the front sling swivel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is so you can do what is in the pic. just above your post.

The stacking swivel is on the gas tube forward of the front sling swivel.

I see, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top