Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 4:59:46 PM EDT
Ok here is the deal.  I have a problem I think I am dumping my M1a needs.  My collection has a huge gap in it. A MBR!!!  I have a poly tek m14s that I have been wanting to build up for a long time.  
It still needs to have the GI bolt lapped into place and the headspace set really well.
I have a TRW bolt for it
GI trigger group.
m-14E2 stock
Gi flash hider
NM front sight.
GI new piston
a couple of fiberglass GI stocks
and some Gi mags for it.
The only Chicom parts are Reciver, op rod, and barrel.  Which according to the M1A experts says are really great parts and almost as good as GI

I dont have the original bolt since I lent that to a friend who has since commited suicide and No telling where it is.
Now I have a rifle that is not shooting and I dont have the $575 to get Ron smith to get it fitted and running.   I am now married and having a new additon to my family soon.  
I have thrown it together sans bolt the other day and to me it didnt "feel good" anymore.  The pistol grip was kind of quirky and the reagular stock felt strange too.

I think I am "over" the M1a.  I have shot them for years since I was 12.  My dad had a FA and I spent many a day on the ranch with that rifle.    I am thinking that this package might have to go.  Would I be nuts to try to trade it for a FAL ish rifle that is already set up and running and just call it quits.  I have a pile "like 20" of L4A4 bren 30 round 7.62 mags and even if I get a metric rifle I can always make them fit a metric gun.  
I have never wanted a "super match M1a " anyway and all this would be  is a "rack grade" anyway.  I am looking for a good basic MBR that I could carry around the desert and shoot all of the piles of 7.62X51 I have stacked in my ammo dump.
AM I CRAZY?????? or should I just wait and put away the pennies to have this beast raised from the ashes? I am posting this on an M1A forum so of course I can expect a bit of a Bias but please let me know your $.002.  I think I need some direction from my peers.

THANKS James
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
My favorite is the FAL. I have 3 of them and 2 M1A's, and the go to rifle would be one of the FAL's, although I must admit I would not feel bad about taking a M1A instead----its all about what feels good to you. If you don't have much interest in the M1A platform, I sure wouldn't pursue it or sink more money into the rifle. LIFE IS TO SHORT! GET WHAT YOU WANT
By the way, I would take the E2 stock off you for a reasonable price if you can't stand looking at it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
DUDE I will buy the bolt.... But I think you should follow thru with what you started.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't send it to Smith Enterprises, sav your money and send it to Warbird.  He will do the bolt fitting, etc  a lot cheaper.  I read through the list of SE stuff and IMHO they may go a tad overkill- I mean for cripes sakes $600 work on a rifle that originally cost $399?  

Beyond a bolt fitting it sounds like you should be able to swap the rest on your own.  Warbird fits bolts for around $100 plus I think $40 to repark the reciever and bolt (which is required after fitting).

On the other hand, if you are bored with it, either let it sit around some more until you like it again, or sell it and the parts and get an FAL.  The collection you have should easily fund a NIB DSA FAL (how is that for acronyms!).  

I suspect some of your "boredem" is more hesitation to go forward, as you have to spend money before you even have a functioning rifle, and you are afraid that after spending the money you won't really like what you have.  I can totally understand that.

I say ponder it fora  few days.  If an FAL gets your blood runnning, go for it!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Dawg Who is Warbird and how can I contact him?  I dont know I am feeling kind of crazy now.  I have way too many guns that I dont shoot but I really need to get my gear in line.  I love working on rifles but I personaly hate working on the M1A series.  So if there is a good smith that could fit my bolt a bit cheaper than SE I will give them a try I can always get rid of the rifle later.  Plus the other guys are right I can always get rid of the parts and get an FN.  But please I would like to hear the pros or cons from any of you.

James
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You can find Warbird here.

http://users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.HTM

Just my thoughts but you have all the makings of a great M-14S but just short a bolt. My SA M1A isn't my favorite after having a Garand rebarreled in .308 but it will alway have a home in my collection.

I say save your pennies and get it put together when you can, with any possible new BS Laws banning this and that you may never see another M14S let alone the parts to make one.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.HTM

Just my thoughts but you have all the makings of a great M-14S but just short a bolt. My SA M1A isn't my favorite after having a Garand rebarreled in .308 but it will alway have a home in my collection.

I say save your pennies and get it put together when you can, with any possible new BS Laws banning this and that you may never see another M14S let alone the parts to make one.

Karsten

Link made hot

and a Big +1 for Warbird
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

http://users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.HTM

Karsten

+1 on Warbird.  He did my Polytech M14S right.  All USGI parts and it shoots very well.  I love my rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have thrown it together sans bolt the other day and to me it didnt "feel good" anymore.  
The pistol grip was kind of quirky and the reagular stock felt strange too.

This would be a problem for me - if it does not feel good to you, maybe you've lost that loving feeling...

You do have the makings for a great rack grade blaster though and if you decide to dump your parts they will sell fast.
I'd be interested in the E2 stock
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Since you didn't detail what exactly you would get for your quoted $575.00 from ron Smith for the work, it's very hard to judge.  Since you stated you just want something to reliably launch 7.62mm NATO projos downrange, it's hard to imagine that price structure.  I've got a cople of weapons Ron's built for me over the years.  Wouldn't trade them for anything.  However, if you're heart set on an FAL, then as said above ... life is short... go for it.      
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]
As to what you get from SE for $575 is  the bolt fitted, the hedsapce checked, frame heat treated, and
I think it will be refinished.  Not too much really but I know Ron's work is top notch.  Brilliant actually

James
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As to what you get from SE for $575 is  the bolt fitted, the hedsapce checked, frame heat treated, and
I think it will be refinished.  Not too much really but I know Ron's work is top notch.  Brilliant actually

James

IIRC Warbird will fit and headspace the bolt and repark the entire weapon for around $200 or so.  The only problem is he is very busy and at the moment is not taking new work for at least a few weeks.

From everything I have read the heat treatment simply isn't necessary- I have a Norinco and did a lot of research before I purchased it, and general consensus is the receivers are some of the best out there dimensionally, and forged to boot.  I can't seem to find anyone but Smith Enterprises that says the receiver needs to be heat treated.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Heat treatment is only .003-.005 deep and depending on how much metal needs to be removed
you may be into the softer steel and even forged steel does not have a high rockwell hardness
level. that is why our government double heat treats forged recievers.
When they tried to get away with a single heat treatment of a FORGED reciever look at the results of the first 250000 03 Springfields.  American Rifleman ocasionally will reprint the warning that these rifles should not be shot and considered wall hangers.

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top