Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 10:54:57 AM EDT
New to me anyway

I put a mag down her this morning with no problems, and I was surprised at just how accurate it was, and the crappy bipod it came with wasn't all that bad.

I think I'm going to use this gun as the first gun I will try to paint, a little Krylon maybe.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Value man! What ja Pay? I am getting mine on layaway....$550 but someone before me already changed the fake Flashhider out for the real McCoy. I Like the bipods, but yeah.... paint that Bling. And if you have not tried it there is a hammered metal spraypaint that reacts with normal wet spraypaint, it bubbles up from below the wet coat to form random dots of under color. Nice effect on wood. I am going to attempt it on my stock when I get it this weekend.

Edit... I was talking about painting the wood... not the steel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice...!

Now lose the bipod...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nice...!

Now lose the bipod...

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice M14. They're fun to shoot.

Yes...lose the cheapass bipod. Cheaper Than Dirt has a Chicom bipod for about $30 in their catalog, but it will scratch your stock. Looks cool though.

Fiddle with the rear sights and see if you have a good assembly or one that needs swapping out.

Check bolt headspace. Might need a USGI bolt which will be expensive.

Springfield has a "special" now for a real flash hider with bayo lug, bayo, bayo sheath, and castle nut pliers for $150.

Also, Armalite is selling 20 round USGI mags for $25 a piece. NOwhere will you find that cheaper.

Have fun my swamp-dwelling friend.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, for the complements As for how much I paid, too much.

I'm gonna try painting it tomorrow, just need to come up with a color scheme, I picked up some Rustolem cammo colors today and I'll see what I can come up with.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Started painting, and yes I left the bipod on, Why? because I am lazy. I used Rustoleum High Heat, supposed to withstand up to 1200F, I doubt the gun will get that hot but we'll see how it holds up.

Questions, comment, or snide remarks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Started painting, and yes I left the bipod on, Why? because I am lazy. I used Rustoleum High Heat, supposed to withstand up to 1200F, I doubt the gun will get that hot but we'll see how it holds up.

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/RyanJR/IMG_1151.jpg

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/RyanJR/IMG_1150.jpg

Questions, comment, or snide remarks

Did you prep it good as in totally degrease it?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#8]
While you're at it, don't forget to squirt Elmer's glue on it so you can stick some pieces of elbow macaroni, glitter and a few pine cones on there before you spray paint it.

Please don't use the bubble paint mantioned above. OH the humanity!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Uh it is your gun, and you can do what you want with it but ...  You might want to listen to your peers and profit from their previous mistakes and triumphs brother!

(1)  You will get MUCH better accuracy if you pitch that bipod in the ditch! (hey or put it up on the Equipement Exchange!)

You don't want to have anything attached to the bbl or the gas system as that WILL affect accuracy!  (Longhorn 789 for the same reason the G.I. M-14 bipod is not any improvement as it was meant for sustained automatic (machinegun fire) for the m-14E2 Squad Automatic Rifle / BAR replacement rather than accuracy like the M-21 or M-25 or Nimrod Sniper Rifles!

Mount a harris or other bipod on the forearm of the rifle, never on the gas system or bbl!

(2)  You should ask and listen for your friends here, as the experience of the difficulties we have overcome can save you a lot of pain and Oh Why Oh Why Oh Why...s

I sure would have throughly degreased the rifle prior to painting it.  Otherwise your paint will either never set up and harden or worse yet will flake off since it has no grip on the oily surface of the metal!

I just got my second Polytech (yes I like them THAT much)  The more accurate One is getting set  up as a Israeli Nimrod Scoped Sniper Rifle Clone and the second is going to be G.I. Rack Grade Service Rifle for the rough stuff!

They can be excellent rifles, but give them some help and they will do the same for you!

Good Shooting Partner!

BIGGER_HAMMER

B.T.W. - One of the BIGGEST improvements on the Chicom M-14s is to ditch the sorry factory stock and switch to a U.S.G.I. Sythetic Stock (can find them all day for under $50 with all the metal and buttplate - the G.I. stock is a better fit and won't compress out like the Cheapo Commie Chu Wood (I guess it is called that because it is SO soft that it gets chewed up by any little thing!)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#10]
That bipod would make an excellent target holder
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I did degrease it first, and I guess I'll ditch the bipod since so many have requested so.

Can anyone suggest a color scheme?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I did degrease it first, and I guess I'll ditch the bipod since so many have requested so.

Can anyone suggest a color scheme?

How about a woodland or maybe a woodland digital paint scheme?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Listen to Biggerhammer about swapping out for a syntheitc stock- my crapo Norinco wood stock had compressed enough at the trigger group over time that the trigger group raised just enough to prevent mags from locking in.

Hmm...the finish on mine is pretty worn too, maybe I'll do a nice dark gray/flat black color like on yours, and camo the synthetic stock...

[ETA] what is the proper Harris adapter for the M14 stock?  I already have a bipod (heck, just found it- totlaly forgot  that I owned it!) and I think my synthetic is going to be the "all go no show" stock.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Dawg,

Harris makes an adaptor (I THINK it is the #12 - I will have to check to verify the number) that mounts inside the forearm.  You drill a hole through the stock (never mount a bipod in the gas relief hole!) and when you tighten the bidpod stud to the adaptor plate it pulls the whole thing tight.

I will snap a picture or two of the one on my Israeli Nimrod Sniper Stock.

Heck it is such an easy thing to do, that I will probably put one on my rack grade rifle too (never know when you might want it!)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Bigger_Hammer, as usual you da man!

When you find out the number for sure, please let  me know.  I have to place an order with Brownells for a few items and I will add a Harris adapter to the order if I know the right one.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#16]
OK, how's this look, I like it. My first time painting one of my guns.......be gentle

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Dawg,

Fultons website says it is a Harris #2A or 2R adaptor.

I will upload some picutures of my Nimrod and see if I can make out the markings on it!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is mine and my unwilling hostage. My Black lab Bleaux.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:48:45 AM EDT
[#19]
LArifleman, 1IV, adn Biggerhammer (and anyone else who has a Polytech or Norinco)

Different has a Polytech and Norinco Serial number and ID thread running over at M14forum.com.  Make sure you go over there and enter your info.  Different doesn't mind if you replace the last two didgits with "x's" as he is maninly interested in trying to figure out the overall number of rifles imported and by whom they were imported.

www.m-14forum.com/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=2186ed8824eb320c1cd26b5bbd7bc07e
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
LArifleman, 1IV, adn Biggerhammer (and anyone else who has a Polytech or Norinco)

Different has a Polytech and Norinco Serial number and ID thread

These links may be easier to follow...

Polytech

Norinco
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks H20, just woke up and my brain isn't working 100%...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top