Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2005 1:52:50 PM EDT
I just picked one of these up for my M1A. Someone on another board pointed them out to me and it sure is slick. It's a bolt stop/release that is a lot like the M16's bolt release and works the same. After you insert a new mag, you just tap the release and your off and running. No more reaching over the top or switching hands to hit the op rod handle. Here's what it looks like:

The pic shows it with the bolt locked back. It sits flat against the receiver when the bolt is forward.

I got this one from   Smith Enterprise Inc it goes for $55 + s&h.

There is another boy who makes one like it and I wanted to get it first, but he is real slow on responding to emails and after waiting a week for a reply, I ordered the one above. Of course, 15 minutes after I did, I got a response from this boy.   :rolleyes:    He gets $50 + s&h for his. I still may get one off him though and see which I like best and sell the one I dont. Here's the link to his web page:

www.whamocamo.bizland.com/rooster33/id8.html  

Its about halfway down the page.

Link Posted: 4/9/2005 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the rooster33 release and it's looks great. I'm sure the Smith release is as good. Give Lazlo at Rooster33 a little bit of time. He'll come through and it's worth it. He also has an awesome op rod spring guide

RJ
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I originally wanted the rooster33 and his rod guide, but it took him over a week to email me back. I'm still waiting for a response to another question and where to send the money and its been another week now. So far, the Smith release works great. If I can ever get a reply from Lazlo, I'll probably still get one off him, and the guide rod.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I originally wanted the rooster33 and his rod guide, but it took him over a week to email me back. I'm still waiting for a response to another question and where to send the money and its been another week now. So far, the Smith release works great. If I can ever get a reply from Lazlo, I'll probably still get one off him, and the guide rod.

Don't be putoff by the wait. His products are most excellent...!

Also remember he's in Canada and they have to haul the emails in/out on pack mules...

...!
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 4:13:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I installed my SEI extended bolt stop about 6 months ago.
This is a slick item - I think every M14 type rifle should have one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Every receiver I have seen with these has a scratch in the park.  Is it not possible to get the pin out without scratching the finish?

Link Posted: 4/10/2005 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#6]
just put electric tape on the reciever when you tap it out.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Every receiver I have seen with these has a scratch in the park.  Is it not possible to get the pin out without scratching the finish?

Yep, you can get a scratch on you rifle.
It's more like a re-birth mark.

I have read that LRB receivers don't share this problem.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I used 100mph tape on mine. That mark you see is actually just tape residue. Its not a scratch. There is a knack for getting them in and I'm sure there is probably a special tool just for it. You need a long flexible drift to get it done. I ended up starting with a punch and finishing with two drill bits. One to drift and one used as a wedge under the first. Just watch you dont get over zelous and bust the reciever.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]
The scratch occurs with LRB receivers as well. I know...Smith Enterprises built my rifle and scratched the finish of my receiver. I have a pic posted at the Index showing how they screwed it up.

They scratched it and touched it up with cold blue. The cold blue was not neutrailized, caused rusting and I had to have it re-parked.

You think someone like SEI would know better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Cha-Ching - you guys cost me money. These are tool cool so I could not resist. Had to get it. hee hee.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Best accessory ever, and Smith quality.  All M14s should be issued with them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I have three Smith Enterprise, Inc. extended bolt stops installed on my M1A rifles.  I agree, it's a great accessory.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Cha-Ching - you guys cost me money. These are tool cool so I could not resist. Had to get it. hee hee.

Got mine on. Thanks for the tips. I used good old duct tape to prevent scratches. Broke a punch and two drill bits getting this thing in, but no damage to the rifle :D

It is must have!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got mine on. Thanks for the tips. I used good old duct tape to prevent scratches. Broke a punch and two drill bits getting this thing in, but no damage to the rifle :D

It is must have!!!

Wow! Is it that much of a pain in the a$$? It deffinately looks like my first purchase will be one of those but you guys have me wondering what the deal is with the removal of the stock ones...
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure they must have a task specific tool for this. (does anyone know?) The problem with most punches is, they bottom out on the receiver before the pin is out and the punch itself is to short to "git'er done". You need something that is long enough and flexible enough to let you tap it out. I'd just be careful that you dont put to much "upward" stress on whatever you use, so as not to break or crack the flange. I read somewhere that one boy used a piece of cut down bicycle spoke for the tool.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wow! Is it that much of a pain in the a$$? It deffinately looks like my first purchase will be one of those but you guys have me wondering what the deal is with the removal of the stock ones...

The deal is that the 'pin' is really a roll pin (at least, I think that is what they call it). It is not a solid pin, but a peice of metal that they roll into a tubular shape. It stays in there and will not fall out because of he tension.

I had a problem because the drift I had was too small, and the next bigger size was too big. If you get the right size drift, you can use duct take so that you can lay it right against the stock and not scratch the stock or receiver. With out the tape, you need to keep the drift at an angle, and it is will not go in far enough.

So really not that big of a deal. Just take you time, use a lot of tape and it will come out.

One other tip - when I was putting the new pin back in, I did not use a drift. I have a punch that is used to countersink nails. It has a small concave tip and hold the roll pin so that when you bang on it, it will not hop off the pin.

Not too bad, definately something you don't need a gunsmith for!
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the explanation guys it doesn't sound like too big a deal after all. I don't really care about scratching it up so much as I don't want to break something out of ignorance. None of my rifles are safe queens.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
[tim allen]OH NOOOOOOOO, not a scratch[/tim allen]

Its a war gun, not a Faberge egg

Link Posted: 4/17/2005 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Plan on possibly ruining a punch.  I simply used a smaller one that would flex.  Duct tape will protect scratching or, heck, if you do scratch it, get a Q tip and Brownells OxphoBlue and the scratch will disappear.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#21]
So Lump...when was the last time you took your M1A to War....or first time for that matter...Your comment sort of reminds me of a couple of lines in Full Metal Jacket...I am paraphrasing now...

Animal Mother: Have you ever seen commmbat?

Joker: I saw some on TeeeVeee...

Bottom line Lumpster is that no one here is taking their clones to Kabul to fight the Taliban....We want nice looking rifles to enjoy and shoot...

You crack me up with your better than thou attitude...shheesh...armchair warrior

Link Posted: 4/17/2005 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2005 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#23]
"....We want nice looking rifles to enjoy and shoot..."

Whew...glad you're not looking at my rifle.

Link Posted: 4/17/2005 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#25]
tag for reading at work.

ps.  nice rifles.  i got to gat one of these.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"....We want nice looking rifles to enjoy and shoot..."

Whew...glad you're not looking at my rifle.

well I have to admit - that is how I picked out my rifle. I said "that one - that one is purty!"

then again I'm a chick
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So Lump...when was the last time you took your M1A to War....or first time for that matter...Your comment sort of reminds me of a couple of lines in Full Metal Jacket...I am paraphrasing now...

Animal Mother: Have you ever seen commmbat?

Joker: I saw some on TeeeVeee...

Bottom line Lumpster is that no one here is taking their clones to Kabul to fight the Taliban....We want nice looking rifles to enjoy and shoot...

You crack me up with your better than thou attitude...shheesh...armchair warrior

I smell a
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 5:21:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Lump....I am sorry that you are so sad. They have treatments for Manic Depression these days...you ought to look into it. Inferiority complex...? Don't think so...I think the complex descibes you...you are the one that must feel inferior as your comments are most always quick to put something else down...."Walk softly but carry a big stick" does NOT describe you...

DP...Nah man...I am not a troll. The troll in this thread is Lumpy. His Tim Allen comment about the scratch was just to solicit responses...He is a troll with a Moderators hat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Contemplating purchasing one from Smith.

Y'all definately convinced me to.

Does Smith provide a new pin or do ya gotta use the original roll pin?
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Smith gives you a new pin.
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 1:25:17 AM EDT
[#31]
ping
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Ordered!

Link Posted: 4/28/2005 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Ordered!

Excellent
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#34]
With the majority of these ending up in DoD hands (MK14 Mod O, USAF & USCG variants thereof and the USA M14SE), an NSN is expected shortly.  same goes for their GLFS and Vortex.  Someone has finally smelled the coffee at DLA & Picatinny.
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Tagged
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#36]
How long should I expect to wait for it to arrive?

Fred's style: One month or more or Bushmaster's Style: Less than a week?
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 2:29:50 AM EDT
[#37]
About a week. They dont send any email notice, it'll just show up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Arrived today!

I was hopin' for some installation instructions or something. Just a business card.

I've already bent two punches and a coupla small nails tryin' to get that roll pin out. Will not move.

Gonna hafta talk to my gunsmith.

Link Posted: 5/6/2005 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'm sure they must have a task specific tool for this. (does anyone know?) The problem with most punches is, they bottom out on the receiver before the pin is out and the punch itself is to short to "git'er done". You need something that is long enough and flexible enough to let you tap it out. I'd just be careful that you dont put to much "upward" stress on whatever you use, so as not to break or crack the flange. I read somewhere that one boy used a piece of cut down bicycle spoke for the tool.

There is a thread on this very item over on m-14forums.com. Aparently the drawing is in the TM and it is an armorer fabricted item. It looks fairly simple, probably need a drill press. Basically 3/32"drill rod offset in a 3/8" piece of round stock.
link
There's a JPEG of the drawing on the second page. I tried to print it but it didn't come out well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the link azathoth. I think I'm going to get my buddy to make me a couple up in a couple of sizes from the "discussion" over there.
Here's the pic on the link:
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine came with no new pin.

Are you sure it comes with a new one? Is this something I should call SEI about?

BTW, I broke another drill bit just now trying to get the roll pin out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#42]
So, I got it installed.

I used the broken 1/16inch drill bit that my Cornwell Dealer gave me as a "Donation to the firearms of America" and a drift punch.

I guess when you use the right tools, it makes it easier.

I made my own pin out of a coat hanger wire. I'll see how it does for awhile. Fits great, gonna super glue one end tomorrow.

Function test ran good.

I am very pleased.

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Glad you got it in without to much trauma.  Its hell beatin' on your gun with junk tool's, aint it?

Mine did come with a new pin. Maybe they are going cheap on us.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Geez, you shoulda seen the tape I put on. Massive amount of tape. Just to be sure, right?

I made my own pin out of some heavy gauge steel wire. A few drops of super-glue () to hold it in place.

Truely great accessory. I love it. With my whole body, including my pee-pee.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I ordered mine tonight for my SOCOM 16
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I had the same issue with the spring guide, so I ordered the sadlak spring guide from a different site and the rooster guy emailed me back the next day after my order was processed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

+1 !!!

I have the mark on my SOCOM...but the Smith release was worth it!

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#48]
It's just a flesh wound.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#49]
i bit today.
we will see how it goes.  Rooster33 for me.
plus a new pin.  

thanks for the pic and tips on the tool.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn.  i put in the Rooster33 today.
it took all of 15 minutes.

oh man.  this is nice.  it is what the M1A needs.  i can't say enough good things about it so i will say simply.

if you have an M1A buy one of these.
and a plastic stock from Freds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top