Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 2:35:57 PM EDT
That is the question. Im looking for opinions on whether or not to refinish the stock on my M1 rifle

what I can tell about the rifle history is

Springfield  M1-  manufactured in Nov '43

It has been re-built, barrel serial number does not match the receiver
actually none of the numbers match
The only marking on the stock is the Circle - P on the grip, no other marks I can see, not even a re-build mark.
The stock is walnut, very dark, a little greasy, it has a few dings and gouges but over all in pretty good shape.

So my question is, do you think It would take away from the historical or monitary value if I  refinished the stock?

Should  I just give the stock a thorough cleaning, If so what should I use to clean it.

or should I leave the stock as is and keep it until I can date it, then  buy another stock to refinish

thanks for any opinions, I hope to post some pics in a few days
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
the # on the barrel will not match the receiver, however the date on the barrel should be within a few months
the # is a drawing #, from the blueprints used to make the rifle, all the #'s except the serial # are drawing #'s
-the barrel should have a drawing #, and something like sa-7-53
meaning springfield armory made in july 1953
if you are interested in the history i would recommend scott duff's book on the garand
or hatchers book on the garand
have fun
rc
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the Info RC

I guess what i ment was he date on the barrel does not match the month or year as the receiver manufacture date.  looks like the barrel is  SA ####### 7 66

I didnt realize they made barrels until 66, but then what do I know Im just a newbie to M1's
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
springfield and winchester made replacements in the 60's
i have used fine steel wool and laquer thinner to get alot of the crud off of them
then refinished with tung oil
hope that helps
rc
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Post a picture of your stock, I can tell you what it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top