Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 5:26:45 PM EDT
This rifle is very new to me! I can tell you this....it works! but I have not been able to figure out what kind of stock this has on it, can anyone identify it? Also, I need a standard stock but I dont know which one to get or where to get it from. Oh and while I was dissassembling the rifle I noticed the slide catch didnt have a spring around the pin....is there supposed to be one there? would this explain the bolt releasing when I put a mag in?

Any help is appreciated, THX in advance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You have an aftermarket folding stock. I have no idea who manufactured it. Reese Surplus or Riverbank Armory usually has surplus stocks. Learn the difference between an M1 stock and an M2 stock, walnut and Birch as well. Boyds makes new stocks but I'm not crazy about Boyds stocks. They usually are over sized and require fitting. The slide stop isn't supposed to have a spring. If the slide is going into battery when you insert a Mag., the slide stop pin may need cleaning or it may be worn. Take off the slide and push the pin out from the top.

Who made your carbine?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]
It has ALPINE on the rear of the barrell behind the peep sight, SI on the bayonet band, Q-NL stamped on the trigger assy, Rock-Ola stamped on the recoil plate, the barrel has a six digit ser #, other than that....I still need to clean the gunk out of it to see if I can find any more markings or stamps.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Alpine was a commercial manufacturer like National Ordnance and Plainfield.  Your stock looks like one of the ones sold by Federal Ordnance years ago.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you know the approx time frame the alpine barrels were made? or is it one I should keep? It shoots really well considering the condition I recieved it it and the fact that I only paid a couple of bucks for it. But from what I'm hearing, I will prolly need to rebuild it for my own piece of mind. What is your view on these stocks from bobs gun shop

are they worth it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Alpine's have a good rep. As for re-building, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Stock #1 looks like a commercial copy M2 carbine "pot belly" stock. It looks too good to be a genuine G.I. stock. M2 stocks were made larger in the forend to accomodate the F/A parts thus the "pot belly" nickname. Stock # 3 looks like a G.I M1 stock. I prefer these as they are slimmer in the forend and proper for an M1. Stock #4 looks like a Butler Creek or Ram-line synthetic. A good beater stock. I just don't like the look of them. Stock #2 looks like a POS. Personally, I'd keep your folder and get an M1 stock as well.

I can't tell you if the stocks are worth it since I don't know what his asking price is.  Cheaper than Dirt has Carbine stocks from time to time as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top