Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 2:53:17 AM EDT
I have a Springfield Armory M1A which is rear lugged.  It currently sits in a McMillan NM stock, but does not see much use (I switched to a mouse gun).  My question is:  Is there enough room in a standard (not oversized) walnut stock for a lugged action to sit?
Chris
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
not really.. as you'll have to remove enough wood for the rear lug to sit properly.. and on a GI stock, the stock would be weakened too much with that much wood removed...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're lookling to get a more "standard" M1A, your best bet would be selling or trading that M1A for it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Selling or trading it????  El grande negatory, amigo, that rifle earned me 18 leg points!  Besides, I've sold enough guns that I 'oughta nota for a lifetime of regret!
Thanks though, the answer was sort of what I had suspected anyway...
Chris
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a rear lugged SA M1A that is bedded in a very wide Fajan walnut stock. Before that it was bedded into a birch GI stock which I used for match shooting. In that stock, it was still fine after 6,500 shots. Another SA M1A that I have has a Pinned on front lug (Armscorp product) that is bedded into a synthetic GI stock which I use for my "rain gun". That stock is even thinner than the wood GI stock but I have never had a problem with that either.  Since all the thrust is to the rear, the width means nothing unless you use it as a club.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top