Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 6:02:41 PM EDT
I too, took my new Garand to the range yesterday. I had only ever shot one once, over a year ago and I was sold when it went 'sproing'!
I've been hunting one down ever since and I'm not a citizen so all I can I do is drool over all your CMP stories. Well two weeks back I found one up for trade on the EE and I traded a Combat Commander for a '53 Springfield Armory.
The wood isnt pretty but I just finished stripping and cleaning and she's a beauty inside. Very little wear, all SA parts, good park all around, bright shiny bore, good crown and sharp rifling. I dont have a TE guage but I suspect it would check fine judging by the rest of the barrel.
Anyway back to yesterday.
Not knowing shit, it didnt take me long to figure out windage and elevation and I got her dialed in and was shooting 'minute of grapefruit' in no time!
Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, SPROING!
Jeez, I felt like a kid at Christmas! It took me a few clips to get her dialed in but then I was just shooting for fun. The gun was making me grin a bit. Only thing was, sometimes it didnt hurt and others it was biting my shoulder a bit. It felt like when I held it correctly it hurt more and when I put it out on my bicep it didnt hurt at all. Ant pointers? I was shooting from a bench.
Next year I am applying for my citizenship and then look out. I am gonna start buying these things.
I dont know if I should replace or refinish the stock. I dont want to destroy any value in the gun but I love the look of fine furniture and I like to tinker with my guns. What say you all? To me, the gun is just a shooter and I doubt I would ever sell it.
I had my new 10/22 at the range as well and it was a grinner too.
By the way, thanks for the gun jtb33.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
REFINISH the stock ! i dont think you will hurt the value there are lots of the m1 around.

use a shooting chaff this will take the bite from the 30/06..

where are you from ?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
REFINISH the stock ! i dont think you will hurt the value there are lots of the m1 around.

use a shooting chaff this will take the bite from the 30/06..

where are you from ?  

Canada eh?

Stock will be refinished. Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Canada!?   With your beady eyes and flappin heads.  
I'm from Alberta myself.
Oh, if you would have voted Liberal, I'm gonna hafta drive down to FL and whoop up on ya!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Canada!?   With your beady eyes and flappin heads.  
I'm from Alberta myself.
Oh, if you would have voted Liberal, I'm gonna hafta drive down to FL and whoop up on ya!

I've been here for 8 years. I uh, cough, MAY have voted liberal when I was young and stupid. I never voted a straight party. I always voted issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top