Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2003 5:09:36 PM EDT
Anyone have the know how to remove a flash suppressor?  I have a second barrel assembly I want to shorten to 18" and am having a little difficulty removing the suppressor.  It is a Polytech barrel, don't want to try it on a GI barrel.  
Any help would be appreciated.

Kentlik
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a set screw on the top-front side of the f/s just under the front sight. It is angled down towards the castle nut and fits between the notchs in the nut. Back out the set screw and the castle nut can be removed. There is a special tool for loosening the nut, you may need it, or you may get lucky and not.

Or being a a Chinese barrel, is the flash suppressor welded on? Some were tack welded, especially on the post ban rifles.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
This thing must be pinned or welded on or pressed because it won't budge with convention methods.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you loosen the "castle nut?"  Run it all the way forward in the slot and strike the rear of the bayonet lug with a hammer.  Put a piece of hard wood between the hammer and lug to avoid damage to the piece.

If it's welded no sweat, any barrel shortening will remove this section anyway.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of those polytechs I worked on were brazed on instead of welding.If that's the case you'll have to heat it up to remove the flashider.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I whacked it with a shot hammer and the old 26 oz ball peen and no luck.  It must be welded, although I see no signs of such, or brazed.  I will heat it up to see if it is brazed on and if that is not successful I'll just cut it off.  I want to true it up in the lathe and replace the crown at the same time.  
What if any gas port or spring tension needs to be adjusted to get it to run correctly?  ANything?  

Thanks for the responses gentlemen,
Kentlik
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The gas port may be a different size, I've no way of measuring it.  I use the USGI spring etc. in my shorty.  (Photo in the "Vortec" thread.)

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Chuck thanks for the link to the other thread, helped me get an idea about how it looks on a GI setup.  I am going after it again tomorrow.

kent
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
When ya heat it up ya don't need to get it cherry red.Only eough to soften the brazing if it's brazed on.

Only heat the part of the flashider that contacts the barrel behind the castle nut

Loosen the castle nut as much as possible then heat it a little while tapping the flahider untill it moves forward.Go easy then give it more as needed.

HTH
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Copy that, thanks.

Kent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top