Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 6:22:22 PM EDT
Anyone build their M1? If so... how hard is it really? I've been told it's not so bad, but then again, I've been told it requires a whole lot of skill...

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If all the parts gauge correctly (op-rod piston,gas cylinder,and plug) it's not hard at all.
If possible use new springs where springs are required.
Books (or online) are available with diagrams to show where parts go.
The only other parts that have to be checked would be the bullet guide,follower assy.,and clip latch.
Make sure all parts are clean and moving parts oiled or greased per military weapons guide.
The one thing that must be done by a gunsmith is proper headspace of bolt and barrel.Headspace should be set at .001 over minimum,.003 maximum on std barrels. .001-.0015 with a match barrel.
If you take the time to find someone who knows how to do this you will have a well built Garand to shoot and be proud of.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
You need highly specialized tools to mount and align the barrel, that's the only issue.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. When I buckle down to tackle the project I'll post some pictures and notes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top