Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 6:54:48 AM EDT
    The other day I was sitting on a hillside out in rural Arkansas with my M1A cradled in my arms. The scene before me was beautiful; a long sloping hill gentley gliding down into a flat open field that leveled out 650 yard to my front. The field continued on to a tree line that ended up being 750 yards from where I sat. I looked down at my rifle and could not help but smile.
    I remember being in the Marines when the M14 and I were first introduced. At that time I was shooting in military competitions, some in Europe and a few in Hawaii. I knew one thing about the M14 right away...it was the finest rifle I ever fired. I fell in love with that rifle the first time I sqeezed off a shot.
     When I got out of the Marines I was shocked to see the prices of M1A's but i personally felt it was worth the price. I knew I wanted one, but being married that is one heck of a chunk of change out of a family budget supported by a job as a police officer. One day I found the rifle I just had to have. I traded some guns I had and gave em a little cash too, but the rifle went home with me. I was a happy man.
   The first shot I fired took me back to the first M14 i fired. I was again in love. I have amazed my friends with that rifle and I am sure that will be the one rifle I will never let go.
     I flashed back to the present and looked out across the expanse in front of me. The day was perfect, not too cold, not too warm. I had traveled two hours to this spot with a good friend of mine whom I wanted to see this place. The land is owned by my uncle who said I can go there any time to shoot or hunt. I have taken him up on that offer many times.
     That day we fired about 200 rounds at targets at various ranges. There was nothing special that happened other than it seemed a great day of shooting. At the end of the day when I returned home I recalled those times I was in the Marines and wanted an M14 of my own. As I was cleaning the rifle my wife looked at my big grin and asked why I was so happy to clean a gun. I didn't answer her...she just wouldn't understand.
    Thanks for listening to my lengthy story. I don't have a lot of people who would understand...that is why I come here. I would love to hear others tell about great times they have had with their love of firearms.

Dale
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:12:05 AM EDT
[#1]

You're not alone!

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Great story!  It gave me a smile.  It reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker about firearms, mags, and collecting habits.  Certainly we are all different and value different things- I get grief sometimes for "safe queens", being snobbish about a certain brand or style of rifle, and buying stuff "I'm never gonna use".  To cut to the chase, he began to inquire about a purchase of mine to which I replied- "It pleases me to have it".  He smiled warmly, and replied "That's whats important, and I like your answer".

GoGo
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Great story.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#4]
you are so totally NOT ALONE!!!

despite all of my mousey toys....nothing makes me feel more secure ( and I mean NOTHING ) than my full size M1A.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Your story left a smile on my face. With my job schedule Im often at the range by myself. My wife asks how can I be at the range so long with know one to talk to. I tell her I talk to my rifles. She thinks Im crazy.I normally have several rifles with me.I have more than I can shoot,. But one of the ones thats ALWAYS with me, is one of my M14's clones.Its our private time..LOL... WarDawg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top