Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 4:02:11 PM EDT
I've been planning to get a new SA standard "loaded" model M1A. I've seen on another website a like-new pre-ban for sale. Less than 10 rounds through it, flawless, built in 06/82 with serial no. 22xxx. The price would be about the same for either one.

Any advice on one over the other? This will be my first rifle. Even if I didn't get this pre-ban I'd appreciate the pro and cons, if any, of a pre-ban versus new production for someone new to rifles. And I HAVE ordered Scott Duff's book but haven't received it yet.

TIA,
Steve
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get the pre-ban. once the pre-bans
 are gone, you will never get one for the
right money.i just bought a pre-ban and
already own a post ban. I had a pre-ban in 1985
bought it for $600.00. then I sold it. now i
just paid double.you can add to a pre-ban
a post ban has restrictions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My M1A is mid 80's. All USGI parts on the SA receiver.  It's Std grade, and has/is serving me well.  The only thing I did to it was replacement of the std sights with NM, and USGI Plastic stock vs the wood.

I HEAR that new shipping M1A's have fewer USGI parts, and some of those parts are not holding up too well (In comparison to USGI).

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd get the preban.You'll most likely have all GI parts in it and very few GI parts in the new postban.Preban M1a's are one of the better deals now.For some reason the prices didn't go through the roof like other preban weapons.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice. It doesn't surprise me that most would pick the pre-ban over recent production. From what I've been able find $1500 looks to be a bit pricey...or is that a decent price for a mint pre-ban?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a pre-ban (mid 1980's) Springfield Armory National Match for about $1200 last year. It is like new and although I consider any rifle over $1000 extremely pricy, I never regret buying mine. The only problem I have ever had with it is a tight magwell that really requires you to yank the mag hard when changing them. Is this fairly common with M1A's and is there a remedy?

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
$1500 seems high.$1200 or so seems to be the going rate.Only way I can possibly see $1500 is if it was absolutely new still in the box.

Charging Handle,never heard of that problem.These people can certainly help you out...

www.battlerifles.com
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Boxerfan, IMHO. . . Buy the preban now! Don't worry so much about $200-$300 difference. Two phrases that ring very true to me. . ."You get what you pay for" and "If you snooze, you lose". You will not regret buying the preban. It will probably have all or mostly USGI parts (most reliable) and will be the closest configuration to a real M14. If you decide later that you don't like the M1A, you will get all or most of your money back. . . . if not more!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
GreyGhost:  I spoke with the seller this afternoon and told him, as you suggested, that $1200 seems more like the going price. He's firm at $1500, saying the rifle looks absolutely new-in-box (although it lacks the box) with 9 rounds through it.

Desperado:  I'm still giving it some serious thought. I'm just afraid that once I buy the first M1A it will turn into as big an addiction as the one I have for HK P7 pistols!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can get the serial, call Springfield and ask them what kind of rifle it was.

I picked up an 88 vintage M1A for 1300 a couple years ago. Bedded stock, which I thought was weird, and NM sights. I was wondering wtf did the previous owner do to it. I called Springfield to verify that it was a preban...

..and it turned out to be a SuperMatch M1A.

Talk about a steal...the guy I bought it from had no idea what he had.

Run the serial. You might be getting a better deal than you think.

For me, $1500 for a minty Springfield M1A, pre-ban, isn't a horrible deal. You can probably do better (how many mags does it come with?)...but in a couple months, the market might swing the other way, and you might find 2k to be the going rate.

I'd say jump on it, and eat any possible bad pricing, and hang on to it. 20 years from now, you'll think you got an incredible deal on it, either way. I know I will, on mine
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Boxerfan: You don't say it, but is the Pre-ban made by Springfield Inc or someone else?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
ArmyOrdGuy: Yes, it is a Springfield pre-ban. Among other things, the heel of the receiver says "Springfield Armory 022xxx".

I called the seller this afternoon and told him I would take the rifle. He tossed in an extra 20rd USGI mag (used) along with the new one that comes with the rifle. He's also providing a plastic case to ship it in and including the shipping cost in the price. I just received Scott Duff's book today so I will do my homework during the 3-day inspection period...but I have I feeling I will be keeping the gun as the seller seems like a good guy and I trust that he hasn't embellished the description of the gun. Thanks for the advice everybody!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top