Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 7:39:48 AM EDT
I just bought a pre-ban Springfield M1A...  This rifle supposedly sat in the original owner's safe for a long while before he finally decided to sell it. He was a wealthy guy with two of everything in the safe and just bought this M1A because of the "panic"  Anyway, I checked the parts like the trigger group, op rod, and the bolt and they all appear to be USGI (H&R or HRT, if I recall correctly) with the drawing numbers.  The barrel is stamped NM and has what appears to be a drawing number on the underside. The rifle also has a hooded site, which is not marked NM.  The receiver is standard with no rear lug.  It is not bedded.  It's in a walnut stock.  Is this a Sprinfield loaded with some NM parts or is this what Springfield calls their loaded model?  

And what was this "panic" the original owner was talking about?  

Also I don't think it was used a whole lot, but the bolt looks like some of the goldish, brown finish is wearing off in  areas around the roller, the top of the face, etc. Is this normal wear?  Or was this rifle probably shot without proper lubrication/grease? Should I replace the bolt?  

I was thinking about replacing the bolt with a new USGI and keeping the original as a spare. But, if this is normal wear should I not be concerned with this?

Also, are the bolts interchangeable to the point that I can buy a new one and pop it in the receiver or should I have the new bolt installed and checked by a good M14 gunsmith like Fulton-Armory?  

Any info that the more experienced rifleman out there may have would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if SA Inc had a "loaded" model back then, but the ones now don't have hooded rear sights.

As for the bolt roller, I am unsure what you are referring to, as mine is bright and shiny unfinished metal. Perhaps its dried out plastilube that's flaking off. Not sure what would happen to plastilube after ten years or so out in the open air, but plastilube is a kinda golden brown. Regardless, if its been sitting in storage for a long time, I'd strip the whole thing down for a thorough cleaning and lube all parts where appropriate.

Replacement bolts are not a drop in item. They need to be properly headspaced by carefully lapping the lugs, or by trying to find one that  headspaces properly from a large supply, which most of us don't have.

As for the "panic," not being the old guys shrink, I don't know what sort of anxiety disorders of paranoid dillusions he may suffer from. He may have been referring to the anxiety felt by some prior to the enactment of the 1994 AWB.

Congratulations on your new rifle. One last bit of advice, buy plenty of ammo (I mean lots and lots) and go out shooting as often as you can, even if you have to call in to work sick occasionally.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks TEA...  I'm probably being paranoid about maintenance because I'm still learning about the M1A.  

I bought Scott Duff's M14 owner's manual before I bought my rifle. When I got it, I disassembled it, cleaned it up with CLP and then applied TW25B grease on the bolt, receiver rails, operating rod spring, top of the hammer and anywhere that there was shiny metal showing contact.  

I'm just wondering if the shiny metal areas on the bolt and receiver from wear are normal or am I using the wrong grease/lube?  

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It is normal for the bolt, operating rod, and receiver to lose some parkering finish.  Just keep it lightly lubed with grease.  Use M1 Garand or Tetra gun grease.  I use Slick 50 One Grease (TM) on my M1A rifles.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello,
     Just a note on your preban.Did you look to see if your barrel was marked SAK.My preban #00071** came with a SAK barrel marked NM behind the front sight (flashider).These barrels were not chrome lined.Is yours chrome lined???
      TEA is on the money about the bolt and maintenence.
       AMMO?????? Glad you said that because I need more myself.
        You'll really have fun shooting your M1A.When you shoot your 1rst round, you just can't stop.

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
What condition makes a pre-ban M1A pre-ban?  How much is the price difference in the pre-bans?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Shepard, no my NM marked barrel is not chrome lined.

WWII_Nut, preban features on the M1A are pretty much limited a bayonet lug, I believe.  In California, I think a postban M1A has the flash suppressor replaced with a muzzle brake.  Other than that, there's not a whole lot of difference.  A preban might have more USGI parts.  As far as the price, whatever the market will bear in your area.  I've seen new postban M1A loaded models for the same price I paid for my preban.  I thought my rifle actually looked to be in better condition than the new rifle, which had a lot of handling marks from would-be buyers inspecting it and pawing at it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey coolhandluke- O.K. so your barrel is not chrome lined.Now,did you check to see if it was marked SAK?? This should be on the right side of the barrel (pointed down range) near the chamber.You also said there's a drawing number on the under side of the barrel.Can you tell me what it is?? Look for the SAK mark too.
   You're on the money about the preban postban for CA.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top