Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 3:48:40 PM EDT
I'd like to get some input from guys that have owned or used the sorter bush /scout rifles.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It's fast handling.  I'm going to put an Aimpoint on Mrs. Different's M1A Scout.  That should make it scary fast.  Since she is 4'11" and less than 100 pounds she prefers the shorter length.  It is her favorite rifle. No BS.

The standard length M1A/M14 will be more accurate past 500 yards due to the longer sight radius and a longer barrel.  Inside 500 yards the M1A Scout will do very well IMO.    
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks and Mrs Different handles the 308 well ?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Also I just realized you're from Nevada I got family in Las Vegas
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I want one.....
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to this link and look for a mini-video clip entitled Mrs. Different with FA M1A, standing.  If you have Windows Media Player you can watch this five second video.  It is Mrs. Different shooting my NFA select fire M1A in automatic mode.  Yes, she can handle the M1A Scout.  

http://www.angelfire.com/nv2/salvo/guns.html
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I originally bought the SA Scout Squad, but found I did not like the feel or handling of the rifle using the barrel mount. So I converted mine to a bush and installed a Smith mount. I like the Aimpoint ML2 better over the reciever instead of on the barrel. It just feels better, just my .02.

Otherwise I LOVE my scout!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Tk,
Very satisfied with the function and ease of handling of my "bush". It has a little more felt recoil than my AR10A4C but it's not as loud.  When it comes to the synthetic stocks, the Quality and Customer Service of Springfield realy sucks.  The paint process is flawed and the paint will start chipping off.  Get a walnut stock then buy a syn at Cheaper than Dirt or gun show and paint it yourself (for about 1/3 price).  This makes a great hog/deer hunting rifle or truck gun.  Was thinking of mounting an Aimpoint but may go EOTech because of the smaller 1 moa dot.  If you will use it for hunting, 5rd mags are available if required in your area.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I personally like it better than the full length barrel since I really don't see using it for extreme distances anyhow.  

Wave, i saw in another thread that your scout has an aimpoint mounted on it. how do you like this setup? im wanting to add the 2x aimpoint to mine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both a preban Bush and a preban Standard.  The Standard is great and I love it.  The Bush is, however, my favorite.  It simply feels great to shoot.

When I first got the Bush it came from SA without the metal buttplate, instead it had a rubber butt.  I found a surplus metal buttplate from Fred, it fit right on.

With a black fiberglass stock, black handguard and black finish, it has a very high LCF (Looks Cool Factor).  Every time I go to the range, there is some other shooter that wants to try it out.

It is, simply, my best gun and is NOT for sale.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#11]
love mine...sleek, fast handling and I really think it recoils less than a full size...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Mr. Different,

Very cool mpeg of your wife. Her smile afterwards says it all. First time I've actually seen and FA M1A fired. Looks a lot more controllable than I've always heard. Doesn't look like you have a compensator on it. Would a Smith Ent Brake make it a little more controllable, do you think?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#13]
TEA, thank you for the kind words.  Yes, the M14/M1A in automatic isn't all that bad.  The more practice the better you get like everything else.

I just had the good fortune and pleasure to trade some e-mail messages with a Vietnam Veteran.  He was in Vietnam in 1966.  For nine months IIRC he was a member of a Combined Action Program squad.  This program had Marines living with RVN Popular Forces soldiers in their hamlets during the day and going on ambush at night to surprise the Viet Cong.  He and the other Marines in the CAP squad (6 Marines, 6 VN PF, 1 Navy medic) carried M14 rifles with selector switches (not selector locks).  The first magazine for each M14 was  loaded with tracer rounds.  The RVN PF men carried M3 grease guns, M2 Carbines or Thompson SMGs.    

Anyway, this gentleman is the fortunate owner of a Smith Enterprise select fire M14, NFA registered of course.  He has a Smith Enterprise Vortex flash hider on his select fire Smith Enterprise M14.  He told me in the e-mails that the Smith Enterprise Vortex reduces flash and muzzle rise as efficiently as the combination of the GI flash suppressor and GI muzzle stabilizer.  The big advantage is that using the Vortex avoids the build up of carbon residue as what occurs with the GI flash suppressor and muzzle brake.

I have a National Match flash suppressor and Taiwanese copy of the GI muzzle stabilizer on my NFA select fire Springfield Armory M1A.  The only reason I can think of to not put the Vortex on is aesthetics.  I like the look of the original flash suppressor and muzzle stabilizer.  But the Vietnam Vet is correct.  The muzzle stablizer especially accumulates sufficient carbon after 1000 rounds that you need to clean it from the interior diameter to allow easy removal from the flash suppressor.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm. . . I clean my flash suppressor every time after I shoot. Its a pain in the backside, but I do it anyway to avoid said carbong build up. I use an Otis patch on with the patch holder screwed onto the short shaft in the Otis kit. I also scrub between the slots. Takes almost as long to clean the dang flash suppressor as the rest of the rifle.

The Vortex is open ended, right? I can see a problem with that if your going through heavy brush (doesn't look like you'd have that problem where you live from the looks of those mpegs ) getting snagged on small branches and vines. A friend of mine that was in SOG said they had this problem with the three pronged flash hider on their CAR 15s. He finally welded a washer on the end of his and bored it out to match the internal diameter of the FH.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Correct, TEA.  The Smith Enterprise Vortex flash suppressor is prong shaped.  Agreed, that could be a problem if you are hiking through jungle.  It certainly is not a problem in the desert southwest United States.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top