Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2023 4:45:33 PM EDT
I have a crap ton of steel cased x39 set aside over the years and very seldom shoot my AK's anymore. It ranges from Yugo Corrosive to Wolf and Tula. Most of it is FMJ but some is HP which is probably no better than FMJ.
For those of you shooting 7.62x39 in a bolt action, do you shoot and hunt with steel cased ammo? Does steel run OK in bolt actions? Is it decently accurate? What is the effect on game with these rounds?
I am toying with the idea of getting a Ruger American or Howa Mini, but hesitant if I have to buy and reload brass cased ammo.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
my RAR eats tula steel case all day. id say its ~1moa.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my RAR eats tula steel case all day. id say its ~1moa.
View Quote

Thanks, good to know as the RAR is on my short list. Have you taken any game with it? results?
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks, good to know as the RAR is on my short list. Have you taken any game with it? results?
View Quote

bought it after hunting season so it will be used next year. i have some Winchester Super x that i plan on using but ive heard of people using the softpoint steel case stuff on deer with good results.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

bought it after hunting season so it will be used next year. i have some Winchester Super x that i plan on using but ive heard of people using the softpoint steel case stuff on deer with good results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. How smooth is your bolt? I looked at one today at Academy here in TX and the bolt was really rough. I was thinking something was wrong with it as I had to work really hard to cycle the action without any rounds. Sometimes it would hang up going into the chamber and I'd have to back up and start again. I know it's not going to be Tikka smooth, but I expected better than what I saw.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
When I had my CZ527 in 7.62x39 I used Hornady steel cased SST for field work and Wolf steel case for range and practice. Ran 100% and the SST was accurate enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks. How smooth is your bolt? I looked at one today at Academy here in TX and the bolt was really rough. I was thinking something was wrong with it as I had to work really hard to cycle the action without any rounds. Sometimes it would hang up going into the chamber and I'd have to back up and start again. I know it's not going to be Tikka smooth, but I expected better than what I saw.
View Quote

its OK. nothing to write home about but the one you tried probably had something wrong with it. when its loaded you cant be too gentle or it will hang up occasionally.

i have about 100 rounds thru mine and havent even cleaned the factory grease/oil off of it so im sure theres room for improvement.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Skip the RAR, it feels cheap compared to the Howa Mini.

My Howa mini eats the steel case just fine.  I've got a 2moa dot on it, but it is accurate enough with that that I'm happy (2-3moa which is all I can ask for from my eyes without magnification).  Shoots .308" reloads just fine as well (125gr TNT over 22.1gr 5744 gives ~2moa).  

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Skip the RAR, it feels cheap compared to the Howa Mini.

My Howa mini eats the steel case just fine.  I've got a 2moa dot on it, but it is accurate enough with that that I'm happy (2-3moa which is all I can ask for from my eyes without magnification).  Shoots .308" reloads just fine as well (125gr TNT over 22.1gr 5744 gives ~2moa).  

View Quote

Interesting.  I'll have to checkout the Howa. I have a ton of 125Gr TNTs because I use them in my 300 BLK. I guess being .308 versus .310 you get a little less accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I'll have to checkout the Howa. I have a ton of 125Gr TNTs because I use them in my 300 BLK. I guess being .308 versus .310 you get a little less accuracy.
View Quote

Nah, about what the Golden Tiger or Wolf steel case FMJ stuff gives me...  lack of magnified optics is what is holding it back...and while I could put one of my Hubble-like scopes on it would only be for accuracy testing since it would really destroy the balance of the rifle.

50 yards, 2moa cheap dot, 50 year old eyeballs, 22.1gr 5744 Speer TNT 125gr .308 bullet

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got 10 years on your eyes. I've got another thread going on an optic. That looks like plenty good enough accuracy for my needs. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a cz527 and a custom savage I built and both run steel just fine and most accuracy runs between 1.25 to 2.25 moa depending on the ammo.  Both of my rifles really like golden tiger, wolf and hornady sst for deer and pigs.  I killed 4 deer and 4 pigs this year with the hornady sst.  I have been looking for a rar, cz600, or possibly a howa.  16-18” barrel threaded for the hush.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont get the rough bolt hate, I have three Ruger Americans and mine were fine from the start and just got better after shooting a few rounds out of them. I shoot the hell out of my X39.

I also have no issues with the stocks they are just fine for me from the factory except I shortened them. The X39 gun is a 1 1/2 gun with steel case ammo I would say the they must be doing something right at Ruger.

At this time I have several hundred rounds thru the X39 and have let friends shoot it and some folks at the range and some of them have mentioned the bolt and stock criticism and ask me what I did to correct it. I told the I just shot it a lot.

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I really like my 527M but it’s almost too nice to beat on. I’m going to probably buy a Howa to thread and use for running a little rougher.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really like my 527M but it’s almost too nice to beat on. I’m going to probably buy a Howa to thread and use for running a little rougher.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/B8E4D46F-0467-4A6F-96E5-19925493F94A_jpe-2716781.JPG
View Quote

The Howas come threaded. 5/8x24

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#16]
howa has a CHF barrel, and the bolt handle is one piece to the bolt, very tough little guns..  mine shoots steel case fine, every brand i have tried.   very accurate with handload brass case for hunting.   the magazines are a little expensive but they are tougher then they look and work good
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#17]
No issues at all with the Ruger American. I polished the bolt with Flitz, but that was just me being picky. I did deburr the magazine feed lips as well. The cartridges would drag.

I cannot tell the difference between FMJ and hollow point on hogs, both work about the same although I have never recovered any bullets to compare.

If I had to choose I'd go with hollow point since it seems to group just a bit tighter.

I did want the Mini, but they were unobtainable at the time (beginning of Covid) so I went with the Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No issues at all with the Ruger American. I polished the bolt with Flitz, but that was just me being picky. I did deburr the magazine feed lips as well. The cartridges would drag.

I cannot tell the difference between FMJ and hollow point on hogs, both work about the same although I have never recovered any bullets to compare.

If I had to choose I'd go with hollow point since it seems to group just a bit tighter.

I did want the Mini, but they were unobtainable at the time (beginning of Covid) so I went with the Ruger.
View Quote

Same.  I polished the Ruger bolt after I completely disassembled it, and it’s slick now.   I did while I was watching college ball (gasp!) and it went quickly.

I traded into a CZ and a Howa Mini.  I bought the magazine adapter for the Howa so I can use CZ magazines with it.  I agree, they have been unobtainable for awhile.  Once I found some magazines, I bought 20, yes I know.  Way too excessive.

I’ve only shot paper, they all seem to be about the same (now).  The biggest and obvious difference is the CZ is NOT threaded.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Rugers will get better as they wear in (mine did) but IMHO that three lug bolt will never be as smooth as a Hiwa or CZ.
That never bothered me when Rugers were $400 but at $600 I'm not sure I wouldn't take a closer look at a CZ.
But Rugers do take AR mags which is a big plus for me.
If accuracy is your top priority, I think a CZ is hard to beat. Of course, if accuracy is your top priority skip 7.62x39 and look at 6,5 Grendel.
For hunting, I think I'd stick with Ruger.
BTW the newer Rugers with interchangeable magwells can take either type. So if you buy a 7.62x39 Ruger bolt action it'll come with magwell for Mini-14 mags, which are fine, but you can order the AR magwell straight from Ruger and swap it to run AR 7.62x39 mags instead.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#20]
A CZ 527 would be my choice in x39.  I already have a 527 full stock in 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the shortest threaded barrel length available?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly the 527 is discontinued, and they don't show on the used market often....
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:28:33 AM EDT
[#23]
The RAR feels cheaper than the Howa because it IS cheaper. About $150 cheaper is what I typically see. I gave a RAR and I hate the stock. Its garbage. The entire is rifle is built very cheaply. I dont really like it. I wanted a 527 and couldn’t get one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The RAR feels cheaper than the Howa because it IS cheaper. About $150 cheaper is what I typically see. I gave a RAR and I hate the stock. Its garbage. The entire is rifle is built very cheaply. I dont really like it. I wanted a 527 and couldn’t get one.
View Quote

Bought my Howa for $509+tax (BassPro, no ship or xfer) and a month and a half later my RAR for $519 plus ship and transfer.

Still say the Ruger feels like a $350-400 gun, not a $500-550 gun
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I paid $429 and there was a Howa on the rack for $599. I was really butthurt about missing out on a 527 so I cheaped out. I kinda wish I had bought the howa. The ruger is very accurate and easy to shoot well. It just feels like a cheap piece of shit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#26]
If the Howa took AR mags I think a lot more people would go that way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Howa mini and CZ is the way to go. I know the ruger is cheaper but with that comes the feeling of it being cheaper too. The action is also meh.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#28]
My father and daughter have killed deer with a cz.  So far all shots under 100 yds.  Tula 154 sp to the neck and I've not had to track one yet

I'll need to find another cz or get a howa for my son.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Looking at current prices I’d definitely go with the Howa. CZ527’s are going for $1250+. Looks like there’s a CZ600 Alpha suppressor ready 7.62x39 with a $749 MSRP though. Haven’t seen one in person.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#30]
one other option to keep an eye out for is teh Zastava Mini Mauser, as imported by Interarms (Mini Mark X), Remington (799), Charles Daly, and Zastava-USA themselves.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I’m going to order the Ruger or howa in 7.62x39 today as a birthday present to myself.  I am leaning to the howa are there any bad marks for the howa?
I will for sure cut the barrel back to 16” and thread for suppressor.  I am thinking about the magazine conversion to cz magazines.  Is the bottom metal swap as easy as a few screws or does it take tuning to feed?  
Some background I already have a cz527 and a custom built savage in 7.62x39.  
I’m also wondering how heavy and the feel of the gun.  I want something light and handy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I’m going to order the Ruger or howa in 7.62x39 today as a birthday present to myself.  I am leaning to the howa are there any bad marks for the howa?
I will for sure cut the barrel back to 16” and thread for suppressor.  I am thinking about the magazine conversion to cz magazines.  Is the bottom metal swap as easy as a few screws or does it take tuning to feed?  
I’m also wondering how heavy and the feel of the gun.  I want something light and handy.
View Quote

Mine has the 20" threaded factory barrel, I have a chinesium cheap 2moa red dot mounted on it.  Super light and handy as it is, I'm not sure chopping the barrel etc would be needed/worth it configured like mine it is still under 6lbs and an appropriate scope wouldn't push it over 7

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Mine has the 20" threaded factory barrel, I have a chinesium cheap 2moa red dot mounted on it.  Super light and handy as it is, I'm not sure chopping the barrel etc would be needed/worth it configured like mine it is still under 6lbs and an appropriate scope wouldn't push it over 7

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will chop the barrel to 16” because I’m going to add back 6” with my suppressor.   I’m glad it’s handy for you that’s exactly what I want.  They were in stock at buds gun shop yesterday and now out of stock just my luck.  Have you seen them in stock at a trusted seller or distributor?  How is guns.com?

My cz527 I cut down to 16” weights 6lb 8oz with a scope and mounts.  When I add my titanium Nomad it weighs 7lb 3 oz.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I will chop the barrel to 16” because I’m going to add back 6” with my suppressor.   I’m glad it’s handy for you that’s exactly what I want.  They were in stock at buds gun shop yesterday and now out of stock just my luck.  Have you seen them in stock at a trusted seller or distributor?  How is guns.com?

My cz527 I cut down to 16” weights 6lb 8oz with a scope and mounts.  When I add my titanium Nomad it weighs 7lb 3 oz.
View Quote

They were in stock when I posted :)

Think they are a regular stock item for Bass Pro/Cabelas if there is one near you, that is where I got mine.  

I've bought a few things from this place, they seem to have lots in stock, including a walnut stock one (makes me a tad jelly) https://ammoandarmsstore.com/rifles/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=109&Caliber=7.62x39mm

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you for the link.  They were fast with shipping to my FFL.  Ordered late Friday the 3rd shipped Monday and received on Thursday.   I got a chance to shoot it today and I am very happy with it.  Golden Tiger printed 1” 5 shot groups easily.  I even pulled a .75 group.  Hornady was 1moa and some wolf was 1.5moa.  I did notice the stock touching the barrel on the left side and if my bag was too far forward the pressure would throw a few 2” to the right.  I will have my smith fix that when he chops my barrel.  20” is not a bad length but adding a suppressor made it feel long.  I’m going to cut 4” off to drop some length and forward weight.  
I think I’m going to keep the magazine it feed well and it was not as fragile as I have heard.  
As far as the weight it’s 1 lb 2 oz heavier than my cz527. I am hoping the 4” I cut off makes a noticeable difference.  They are outfitted similarly when I weighed them.  
3x9 scope one prostaf and one leupold
Dead air nomad titanium with xeno adapter muzzle break and ebreak
Cz527 7lb 6oz with 16” light profile barrel
Howa  8lb 8oz with 20” medium profile barrel
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thank you for the link.  They were fast with shipping to my FFL.  Ordered late Friday the 3rd shipped Monday and received on Thursday.   I got a chance to shoot it today and I am very happy with it.  Golden Tiger printed 1” 5 shot groups easily.  I even pulled a .75 group.  Hornady was 1moa and some wolf was 1.5moa.  I did notice the stock touching the barrel on the left side and if my bag was too far forward the pressure would throw a few 2” to the right.  I will have my smith fix that when he chops my barrel.  20” is not a bad length but adding a suppressor made it feel long.  I’m going to cut 4” off to drop some length and forward weight.  
I think I’m going to keep the magazine it feed well and it was not as fragile as I have heard.  
As far as the weight it’s 1 lb 2 oz heavier than my cz527. I am hoping the 4” I cut off makes a noticeable difference.  They are outfitted similarly when I weighed them.  
3x9 scope one prostaf and one leupold
Dead air nomad titanium with xeno adapter muzzle break and ebreak
Cz527 7lb 6oz with 16” light profile barrel
Howa  8lb 8oz with 20” medium profile barrel
View Quote

Check my Mousefart thread in the reloading section - 85gr .312" Hornady XTP at 1000fps pushed by 4gr of TiteGroup.

Do think my next box will be the 90gr .309 version though...
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I lucked out and found a 527 Synthetic Suppressor ready about 6 months before they discontinued. I didn't know it at the time and still don't know if it's exactly true but I read that the 527 in 7.62x39 was designed for steel case ammo. I have also read that they can be prone to light strikes in extreme cold. Mine has been great running steel but I have had some light strikes on handloads using new IMI brass.

I got a Howa mini 300BLK around the same time. The CZ is of course prettier and has a smoother action and adjustable trigger but they shoot equally and were both threaded from the get go.

I considered a Ruger for a time as well just because it takes mini-30 magazines ( bravo Ruger ). I got the CZ and the Howa in peak Covid so magazines were PITA to find.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the feedback guys. I still haven't purchased a bolt rifle yet. My options are limited given my desire for a 16" barrel. I did purchase an AK from PSA and have been really impressed with it. It's been super reliable. With an Aimpoint PRO on it I am regularly able to hit a 12x18 piece of steel out to 300 yards. With a 20 round mag it's actually pretty light and handy. I will pickup a bolt eventually, but the AK has been scratching my itch for the last month.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I read that the 527 in 7.62x39 was designed for steel case ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I read that the 527 in 7.62x39 was designed for steel case ammo.

The reason that I bought my CZ527 was that they were designed for steel case.   Background:  When I started searching for a 7.62x39 bolt action rifle the general word at the time was that American made 7.62x39 rifles were typically sized for .308 bullets where communist block were using .311 bullets.   You could still shoot the .311 in the .308 rifles but accuracy would suffer.   Marketing material for the  CZ527 said that it was designed for the .311 to accommodate steel case ammo.   I have shot quite a bit of steel case ammo through my 527 and only had one issue.   I had a case lock up the action and I had to use a mallet to break it lose.   That is the only issue after shooting several hundred rounds of various brands of steel case ammo.   I like to take the 527 to the range when the nephews are coming.   They can shoot the crap out of it without bankrupting me.  

Quoted:
I have also read that they can be prone to light strikes in extreme cold.

I have not heard that before.  I have never had an issue with light strikes in my rifle.   I have had my rifle at the range shooting Golden Bear SP at -20 Deg F without issues.   But maybe it depends on what you lube the rifle with.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top