Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2022 12:49:06 PM EDT
I am doing some end of life estate planning and trying to get rid of my NFA stuff.

I have a Mossberg factory sbs 590A1.  I want to turn it into a 18 inch + Title I shotgun and annotate the registry.  I have contacted Mossberg and they will not help.  Just FYI this gun uses the same barrel as a shockwave.  

I have searched and searched for a longer barrel and can not find one.

Anyone out there tried to do this or at least put a longer barrel on a shockwave?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Do what?

I wasn't aware you could turn a factory NFA item into a non-NFA item by swapping parts.  I thought your only option was chop up the gun into a parts kit and rebuild it with a different receiver or reweld it.

With a gun that was form-1'd from a title 1, you can remove the feature that makes it an NFA item such as installing a longer barrel or removing the stock and VFG if the item was originally a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Cant you use a barrel from an 835?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried reaching out to the NFA folks in W. Virginia?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RumbleTruck] [#4]
I believe Mossberg, under pressure from ATF, designs their SBS (and apparently Shockwave) barrels so they cannot be installed on non-SBS shotguns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's a factory sbs, sell it, use funds for new shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Do what?

I wasn't aware you could turn a factory NFA item into a non-NFA item by swapping parts.  I thought your only option was chop up the gun into a parts kit and rebuild it with a different receiver or reweld it.

With a gun that was form-1'd from a title 1, you can remove the feature that makes it an NFA item such as installing a longer barrel or removing the stock and VFG if the item was originally a pistol.
View Quote

Taking the barrel off makes it a title 1 gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:56:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shortround] [#7]
You need a regular length magazine tube and a 590 barrel along with a regular length spring.

There was a time before the shockwave that Mossberg would sell you the shorter components and you could configure a Cruiser (never had a stock) to shockwave specs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
If you’re really worried just sell it off now. Is a tax free transfer to an heir really a big deal?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By vengarr:
View Quote

Not so with a factory NFA gun.  It can't revert back to a title1 firearm if it never was one to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Not so with a factory NFA gun.  It can't revert back to a title1 firearm if it never was one to begin with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vengarr:

My understanding is that revert has nothing to do with it. It is either in NFA configuration or Title 1 configuration. If you put a 16" barrel on a SBR it's not an SBR.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

My understanding is that revert has nothing to do with it. It is either in NFA configuration or Title 1 configuration. If you put a 16" barrel on a SBR it's not an SBR.
View Quote

You're probably right.  
I think I was mixing up the concept of you cant turn a factory SBR into a pistol without chopping it up, and you cannot just weld up the 3rd pin hole and turn a machine gun receiver into a semiauto one.

The same does not apply to an SBR or a SBS.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input guys...

The problem is solved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top