Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/28/2022 5:04:04 PM EDT
So I submitted an eForm 1 to build a .22 can. Haven't bought anything at all yet, was waiting for it to get approved.

Was disapproved today with this:

A SILENCER IS DEFINED UNDER FEDERAL LAW TO INCLUDE, IN RELEVANT PART, ANY COMBINATION OF PARTS, DESIGNED OR
REDESIGNED, AND INTENDED FOR USE IN ASSEMBLING OR FABRICATING A FIREARM SILENCER OR FIREARM MUFFLER, AND
ANY PART INTENDED ONLY FOR USE IN SUCH ASSEMBLY OR FABRICATION. SEE GUN CONTROL ACT (GCA) AT 18 U.S.C.
921(A)(24) AND NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT (NFA) AT 26 U.S.C. 5845. PARTS THAT FALL UNDER THE DEFINITION OF SILENCER MUST
COMPLY WITH THE REGISTRATION, TAX, AND TRANSFER PROVISIONS OF THE NFA. UPON REVIEW OF YOUR EFORM 1
APPLICATION, THE PART FROM WHICH YOU INTEND TO MAKE A SILENCER ALREADY MEETS THE NFAS DEFINITION OF
SILENCER. THE PART WAS NOT REGISTERED NOR TRANSFERRED IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE NFA, THEREFORE, YOUR EFORM 1
APPLICATION TO MAKE A SILENCER IS DISAPPROVED. NFA DIVISION NOTES THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR YOU TO POSSESS A
SILENCER MADE OR TRANSFERRED IN VIOLATION OF THE NFA. 26 U.S.C. 5861(B)(C).

What's the deal here. Looks like they are shutting down homebrew suppressors completely?
The name signed is a Kerri Hingman I think.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got the exact same denial, except the signature is Keith D. H something.

My question is how can they say what I'm making one from is already a suppressor when there is nothing on the form saying what I'm using?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
hmmmm. Going to guess blanket denial on all F1 silencers now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
That's fucked up. This shit is ridiculous

Just tryin' to protect their fucking hearing. Unreal.

Edit: there's another thread. Same shit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My question is how can they say what I'm making one from is already a suppressor when there is nothing on the form saying what I'm using?
View Quote

Exact same thing just happened to me today.  Same examiner.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Buddy of mine has his denied today also. Said he's on a discord thread with 100s of them saying the same thing
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

same guy mass denying them?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

How do they know what you're using to make the can??

There is nowhere on the form to list your building materials.

Dafuq are those fuckers up to over there???
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was afraid this could happen once all the stuff with DM start getting more and more clear as far as what the ATF was thinking.  The federal definition of a silencer is vague enough that it basically lets them say anything they want is a silencer/silencer part.  The whole "designed or redesigned" part of the definition gives them that ability.  

A raw metal tube.. even if it needs lathe work for the OD, ID, and threading.. they can still say its a silencer part because someone "redesigned it" to be a silencer tube.  

It's total horseshit, but I'd bet that's what they are doing.  This would effectively end all form 1 silencer building.  Now I just wonder where it all stops.  Are they going to start revoking already approved form 1's for silencers and saying its all contraband?  That's what they are saying they are doing with form 1 cans built from DM parts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Different person for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I just sent an inquiry through "ask the expert".  Will post their response when I hear back.

So do we get refunded the $200 for the denial or do we have to eat it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just sent an inquiry through "ask the expert".  Will post their response when I hear back.

So do we get refunded the $200 for the denial or do we have to eat it.
View Quote

Denials get refunded
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was afraid this could happen once all the stuff with DM start getting more and more clear as far as what the ATF was thinking.  The federal definition of a silencer is vague enough that it basically lets them say anything they want is a silencer/silencer part.  The whole "designed or redesigned" part of the definition gives them that ability.  

A raw metal tube.. even if it needs lathe work for the OD, ID, and threading.. they can still say its a silencer part because someone "redesigned it" to be a silencer tube.  

It's total horseshit, but I'd bet that's what they are doing.  This would effectively end all form 1 silencer building.  Now I just wonder where it all stops.  Are they going to start revoking already approved form 1's for silencers and saying its all contraband?  That's what they are saying they are doing with form 1 cans built from DM parts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, by their definition a piece of 1" 6061 bar stock is a suppressor. And I haven't bought anything from Diversified Machine.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have ESP now?

Or...

They listened to your phone calls, read your texts and looked through your browsing history?  Violating a slew of laws...

Either way, it is bullshit.  To shut down all home builds, they can't claim to know what you are building one from when they don't.  And they cannot possibly claim a tube or a solid piece of billet aluminum or steel is already a silencer, either.  They can't claim all potential pieces of metal that once machined can operate as a suppressor are ALREADY a suppressor.  Yet that is what they are trying to achieve with their redefinition sin the new proposal.

Seems they are trying to pretend their new proposed rule went through already
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They have ESP now?

Or...

They listened to your phone calls, read your texts and looked through your browsing history?  Violating a slew of laws...

Either way, it is bullshit.  To shut down all home builds, they can't claim to know what you are building one from when they don't.  And they cannot possibly claim a tube or a solid piece of billet aluminum or steel is already a silencer, either.  They can't claim all potential pieces of metal that once machined can operate as a suppressor are ALREADY a suppressor.  Yet that is what they are trying to achieve with their redefinition sin the new proposal.

View Quote

If they continue that line of thought, Any AR-15 receiver, once drilled correctly, can be a machine gun. So, all AR-15 receivers are already machine guns.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If they continue that line of thought, Any AR-15 receiver, once drilled correctly, can be a machine gun. So, all AR-15 receivers are already machine guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have ESP now?

Or...

Don't even need to drill it if they decide you can convert it w/ something like a swift link (which I realize is the MG.)   Wouldn't take much for them to declare you can print one in 20 min or bend a coat hanger in less so all ARs are MGs.   They seem to be going down that path.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have ESP now?

Or...

It is worse than that.  In the proposed rule, they redefine "readily" to mean a full 8 hour day in a fully stocked and functioning machine shop.  They reference a court case that used that definition.  And when you apply that definition, any piece of metal, much less a semi auto, can be "readily converted" to a machine gun, cause it takes a lot less than 8 hours when you have access to cmc machines and all the other high tech goodies.  

...And what is "readily converted into a machine gun" is per their fucked up thinking the same thing as "a machine gun."

So Lowe's and Home Depot must register as FFL's and so must Alcoa and every aluminum and steel processor.  And all 80% receivers and all current semi autos are machine guns.  

That is where they are trying to go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is worse than that.  In the proposed rule, they redefine "readily" to mean a full 8 hour day in a fully stocked and functioning machine shop.  They reference a court case that used that definition.  And when you apply that definition, any piece of metal, much less a semi auto, can be "readily converted" to a machine gun, cause it takes a lot less than 8 hours when you have access to cmc machines and all the other high tech goodies.  

...And what is "readily converted into a machine gun" is per their fucked up thinking the same thing as "a machine gun."

So Lowe's and Home Depot must register as FFL's and so must Alcoa and every aluminum and steel processor.  And all 80% receivers and all current semi autos are machine guns.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have ESP now?

Or...

At some point after the first the rest are free.  I've said many times over the years that w/ 8 hours in a fully equipped machine shop raw aluminum &/or steel is a gun.  It's whatever you want.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I put this in another thread when the word got out that they had created a searchable firearms database in violation of the law yet again, but I am gonna make it available again for anyone who wants to use it to contact their congressional reps and senators.  Feel free to use it in whole or in parts, or use it as a letter to the editor for your local paper or whatever you want...

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

At some point after the first the rest are free.  I've said many times over the years that w/ 8 hours in a fully equipped machine shop raw aluminum &/or steel is a gun.  It's whatever you want.
View Quote

And you're right on both counts.  Hell, 20 minutes after you get home from any hardware store you can have a fully functional shotgun.  

None of these proposed regs are kosher with the Bill of Rights or statutory law.  They cannot usurp the legislature's authority to define words in law, nor can any agency legally create or alter criminal law, which is what both proposed regs do: they will each result in currently lawful activity and possession of legally acquired property to become a felony.  They will create millions of felons overnight, rather than decrease crime, and will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on crimes against persons, violence, shootings, armed robbery, murders, etc.

Frankly, everything that is ostensibly controlled and covered by the NFA is owned in such numbers that it's per SCOTUS definition "in common use".  Only have to exceed 140,000 which is what Caetano held was the number of tazers in use when they were categorized in common use and thus protected.  So SBR's, machine guns and suppressors are all protected as they are all owned in numbers to qualify as "in common use".  Aside from which... every gun law by its nature is an infringement and unconstitutional...

And if you wanna nitpick, even the Attorney General and Congress admitted during debate of the NFA that they had no policing powers over firearms, and that they could not legally ban machine guns from public ownership!  That is public record, and referenced in the verdict of US v Rock Island Arms, as well as the congressional records.

All ownership, possession and ban laws and regs need to be abolished to comply with the Constitution.  There isn't a victim created by the behaviors, anyhow, so these laws do not save a single life nor deter a single criminal.

Ok, rant over.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

US v Rock Island Arms is what you seek.
View Quote

That's it.  Apologize for the brain fart.  Will correct it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got the exact same thing.  I have no idea what it means.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
You can build a .177 air gun suppressor from Legos.  Since it's not attached to the air gun while building it, it has to be Form 1'd.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And you're right on both counts.  Hell, 20 minutes after you get home from any hardware store you can have a fully functional shotgun.  

None of these proposed regs are kosher with the Bill of Rights or statutory law.  They cannot usurp the legislature's authority to define words in law, nor can any agency legally create or alter criminal law, which is what both proposed regs do: they will each result in currently lawful activity and possession of legally acquired property to become a felony.  They will create millions of felons overnight, rather than decrease crime, and will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on crimes against persons, violence, shootings, armed robbery, murders, etc.

Frankly, everything that is ostensibly controlled and covered by the NFA is owned in such numbers that it's per SCOTUS definition "in common use".  Only have to exceed 140,000 which is what Caetano held was the number of tazers in use when they were categorized in common use and thus protected.  So SBR's, machine guns and suppressors are all protected as they are all owned in numbers to qualify as "in common use".  Aside from which... every gun law by its nature is an infringement and unconstitutional...

And if you wanna nitpick, even the Attorney General and Congress admitted during debate of the NFA that they had no policing powers over firearms, and that they could not legally ban machine guns from public ownership!  That is public record, and referenced in the verdict of US v Rock Island Arms, as well as the congressional records.

All ownership, possession and ban laws and regs need to be abolished to comply with the Constitution.  There isn't a victim created by the behaviors, anyhow, so these laws do not save a single life nor deter a single criminal.

Ok, rant over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, rant over.

Would be nice if things went that way but I don't see it happening.  We've got another 3 years of the idiot in chief and he's going to go after guns pretty aggressively I think.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can build a .177 air gun suppressor from Legos.  Since it's not attached to the air gun while building it, it has to be Form 1'd.
View Quote
Does that mean all legos need an individual F1 to acquire them since they're all suppressor parts?

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Seems abundantly clear now
Even when citizens attempt to hand over rights on a silver platter, it is broken off in your ass anyways.

Do they really intend to become cohesive with things now after writing all the brace opinion letters in the past?

Unless that was the plan...
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Seems abundantly clear now
Even when citizens attempt to hand over rights on a silver platter, it is broken off in your ass anyways.

Do they really intend to become cohesive with things now after writing all the brace opinion letters in the past?

Unless that was the plan...
View Quote

Might be a good opportunity for a lawsuit if they really have stopped denying all F1 suppressor builds.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Might be a good opportunity for a lawsuit if they really have stopped denying all F1 suppressor builds.
View Quote

It appears they have.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#29]
They won't stop until every gun owner has been legislated into a criminal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Legislated?

If only......
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing saying they are going after already approved diversified machine approved form1s. Quite the opposite if you read their letter. They say to turn in, destroy or form1 your contraband.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There is nothing saying they are going after already approved diversified machine approved form1s. Quite the opposite if you read their letter. They say to turn in, destroy or form1 your contraband.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot has changed since that letter went out 2 months ago.  I've followed it closely.  For most of January and February the answer from the ATF changed several times a week.  The letter was nearly obsolete the day it was delivered to everyone.  The guidance from the ATF went from "if you have an approved form 1 you are good" to "it's all contraband and must be destroyed or turned in" over a period of 2 months.

Heres a blog post from Prince Law with the latest as of today: https://blog.princelaw.com/2022/02/28/update-on-diversified-machine-products/

TL;DR:  Form 1 cans (I assume of DM customers only) will be removed from the NFRTR.  They can be turned in to a local field office or destroy them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A lot has changed since that letter went out 2 months ago.  I've followed it closely.  For most of January and February the answer from the ATF changed several times a week.  The letter was nearly obsolete the day it was delivered to everyone.  The guidance from the ATF went from "if you have an approved form 1 you are good" to "it's all contraband and must be destroyed or turned in" over a period of 2 months.

Heres a blog post from Prince Law with the latest as of today: https://blog.princelaw.com/2022/02/28/update-on-diversified-machine-products/

TL;DR:  Form 1 cans (I assume of DM customers only) will be removed from the NFRTR.  They can be turned in to a local field office or destroy them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s BS. Jump through all these hoops to make your property legal and then they tell you you have to destroy it anyways.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Disturbing.

I wonder how long before an 02 manufacturer has the same issue as they are not buying registered parts
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Got mine today as well

Denied
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

they're already there. There's so many bullshit gun law on the books it's almost impossible to follow them all.

these retards need shut down.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Using the same "logic", how can suppressor manufactures make suppressors either?  

Unlike private Joe's they can make a suppressor prior to registering it, using their SOT 7 or whatever it is to make NFA items - but the same logic would apply.  They would make a suppressor from something that's already a suppressor, but doesn't have a serial number on it.  Thus, they're breaking the law too.

Same logic with an SBR.  You can't make it after a Form 1, as it's already an SBR since it takes less than 8 hours in a machine shop to make into a SBR.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Guess I'm just waiting in my denail now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Using the same "logic", how can suppressor manufactures make suppressors either?  

Unlike private Joe's they can make a suppressor prior to registering it, using their SOT 7 or whatever it is to make NFA items - but the same logic would apply.  They would make a suppressor from something that's already a suppressor, but doesn't have a serial number on it.  Thus, they're breaking the law too.

Same logic with an SBR.  You can't make it after a Form 1, as it's already an SBR since it takes less than 8 hours in a machine shop to make into a SBR.

View Quote

According to their fucked up logic as applied to suppressors, the rifle is an illegal SBR the minute you decide in your mind you want to make it an SBR... likely while it is still on the shelf at the dealer, or while it is in parts at a dozen different companies before you bought them all, had them shipped to your house and built the rifle.  

Intent or desire magically transforms a perfectly legal item that can be used for numerous applications into a forbidden and evil entity.  Like holding a firearm with two hands redesigns and re-engineers it!

CLOWN WORLD.

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
hmmmm. Going to guess blanket denial on all F1 silencers now.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Stolen elections have consequences.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Wow is all I have to say
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Gotta be grounds for a lawsuit. @Nolocontendere
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Are these all Diversified Machine based?
View Quote

Supposedly people who have never bought a kit or part from DM are also getting denials.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I submitted one on the 11th. Haven't heard anything back yet. When did everyone submit theirs?
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Are these all Diversified Machine based?
View Quote

There is no where on a Form 1 to put anything concerning what is being used to make the suppressor.

I have never bought anything from Diversified Machine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just spit-balling here, I was thinking maybe ATF is matching names to confiscated records. Doesn't seem to be the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no where on a Form 1 to put anything concerning what is being used to make the suppressor.

I have never bought anything from Diversified Machine.
Just spit-balling here, I was thinking maybe ATF is matching names to confiscated records. Doesn't seem to be the case.

I had the same exact thought. Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top