Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2022 1:44:38 PM EDT
I need a good pellet gun. I’m looking for a .22 caliber… non-indigenous bird control at about 50 or so feet.

Was looking at some semi-auto PCP ones but I’m not too familiar with the fill methods.  Does it reality hk take hours to pump one up?  Do dive shops fill tanks?

Compressors are very pricey and don’t seem to have any good reviews.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Can’t use .22LR as the over penetration will damage the feeders, etc.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:22:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
A regulated PCP is the way to go. I had a Taipan Mutant with a hand pump. Took a while to get it up to pressure the first time, but after that it wasn't that many pumps to bring it back up to full pressure, and I got around 50 shots out of it in regulation.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If you didn't want to invest a lot a springer is the way to go, some models have .177 and 22 barrels. Even cheaper a blowgun is silent but deadly. Had pidgeons show up in my backyard, cracked the window a tad, right in the head.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorgb] [#4]
I have a  Beeman R7 with a good Hawke scope that's working for starlings and other smaller stuff. Will take a squirl but not always 100% on first shot.
Picked up a cheapo Crosman .22 cal Shockwave this past Saturday. Still need a scope but for 20 yards it is damn accurate. Put 100 rounds into my trap yesterday and was holding 1/2 dollar on irons (plastics ). Playing around with .22 weigths right now.

Question. With the PCP air rifles. Can you leave them charged? I like the break action pump for the purpose of grab and go when vermin are in the yard.

4/4/2023 - Don't buy cheap air rifles. I sold the Crossman and bought a Weihrauch HW97 KT Air Rifle in .22
Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:34:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8654] [#5]
I have a Benjamin 392 inbound. That is a or could be just a temporary fix. I’m still interested in the PCP route but just need more info…

Compressors
Hand pumps
Leaving them charged

Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 8654:
I have a Benjamin 392 inbound. That is a or could be just a temporary fix. I’m still interested in the PCP route but just need more info…

Compressors
Hand pumps
Leaving them charged

Thanks,
View Quote

That Benjamin is a decent gun, but it's loud.

Compressors are $$$, but are good if you are going to shoot a ton. Hand pumps are fine for the casual shooter.

The Hill hand pump is made in the UK, and is very nice. Much better than the Benji pump in terms of quality and ease of pumping.

I always charged my PCPs up and left them that way if I was going to be shooting them. I never had one that leaked.  For long-term storage, I'd take them down to 500lbs just to keep moisture out and the seals intact.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:53:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: h00ktern] [#7]
PCP air gun reservoirs and fill tanks can be left pressurized. You do not want to leave the air gun "cocked with a pellet in the chamber" for quick use - that will deform your seals. Always dump the shot on a PCP.

Hand pumping a small reservoir is no problem, nor is "topping off" a large bottle reservoir after a few shots. The Hill pump is the de facto standard. PCPs require clean dry air, be it from a hand pump with filter/dessicant/water drain, a high pressure Nitrogen tank (rented from gas supply shop,) paintball store fill, dive shop (scuba tanks,) local fire department (if they will do so,) or your own high pressure air compressor.

The large bottle reservoirs (usually filled to around 3k psi,) and fill tanks are usually filled to 4.5k psi. Fill pressures vary down from there, particular to each gun. They can be as low as 2k psi. Maximum fill pressures are usually marked on the receiver of the air gun. I built a Benjamin Marauder pistol that was tuned for max fill of 1800 psi, and had a dual tube reservoir. Very accurate, very quiet, and had a stock. My FX Royale 400 gets filled to 3200 psi, and refilled around 2700 psi.

So, it really depends upon how much you want to spend on an airgun, and which one you buy. Hand pumping can be affordable, scuba next up, then N2 and HPA. In any event, you will need to shoot a varied lot of pellet manufactures and weights to find what shoots best in your gun. My FX and Weinrauch HW44 pistol are pellet stacking wonders with H&N pellets and JSB diablos (different weights.)

So, for hunting, you want an accurate, repeatable airgun with enough terminal ft/lbs to take your prey. If you are in a neighborhood, you may need quiet too. If you get a springer, hard on optics due to "reverse recoil," and loud, it can negate the hassle of HPA sourcing.

There is a reason why some PCPs can approach premium centerfire rifle prices, but you won't have to spend that much if you are willing to tweak and tune whatever you buy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]

My squirrel killer.

I've been doing the PCP thing for about 2 years now and love it.
Here is what I learned that may help you.

I looked at a Air source first, how will I fill my gun. I decided to go hand pump, cheap, and I'm not afraid to exert a little energy for my fun.
For my first air gun I researched a long time and when the smoke cleared, I had chosen the Benjamin Cayden.

It hit on all the points I wanted.
3000PSI Max fill, so not bad with a pump
Side lever, did not want a bolt, just my preference.
Reputable name with a 5 yr warranty.
Magazine fed gets about 60 shoots per fill
traditional wood stock/rifle style
Wanted .22 cal so sourcing pellets would be easy.

Loved the gun, nice adjustable trigger, incredibly accurate about $425 shipped (look for deals)

Only thing I was not a fan of, was the length and weight for hunting.

So the Brocock Concept XR you see in camo above was my next pick. Great Air rifle, Light, compact with a folding stock, very refined, absolutely love taking this in the woods. You can get about 60 shots on a fill as well.

Both guns have an adjustable air system, so I can turn down the power and shoot 10 meter in the basement. With moderators on them, super quiet. and the shot count increases as well.

I like having an adjustable air system for indoor/outdoor use.

Now Pumping is taking too much, so I ponied up for a 74CF SCBA tank. I have a local dive shop fil for $10 a fill. Only issue is they don't want to fill to my max 4500PSI, bust I get is around 3600psi which still gets me about a dozen fills per bottle fill.

I've been saving for a buy once cry once compressor (going to be an Alkin W31 or a Coltri MH6( both around $3500-4K)

Once I have that, I will be free of the dive shop and can fill my SCBA to it's max fill and shoot until my fingers bleed.

PCP air rifle technology has been incredible over the last 5 years, it's not your Daddy's red Ryder anymore, and I don't see it slowing down.

I could never go back to hunting with a 22LR, Loud, lets everyone in the woods know your there, ammo not as cheap as it use too.

I still like 22lr, and shoot my bolt guns at the range, but once Squirrel season ends end of Jan, I can spend the rest of the winter shooting 10meter in the basement and enjoy the pure sport that is air rifle and shooting.  

That was my foray into the PCP world, and if I had it to do over again, there is not much I would have changed. Start out with a decent mid range gun that you can pump and once you use it, you will want to get another.....
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorgb] [#9]
Shit… now I’m going to go down the PCP rabbit hole. Probably have one by Jan 1…

Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I was having problems with gray squirrels and my fruit trees.  The .177 single shot springer was not doing the job.  I picked up an Air Venturi Avenger in .22 caliber off of Amazon for $349.00 threw a Simmons variable scope I had laying around on it and proceeded to decimate the local pest population.  Kills at 30+ yards are not a problem.  The bicycle type pumps work fine for limited use.  I went with the Four Uncles based upon Amazon reviews and it works fine for my purposes.

Air Venturi Avenger
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]
@Bushman_269

I'm actually looking at that one now in .22 cal. Considering hand pump for the amount of shooting I do.

The marauder seems to be recommended also and is quiet. Looking for more specs on the Avenger.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bushman_269] [#12]
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
@Bushman_269

I'm actually looking at that one now in .22 cal. Considering hand pump for the amount of shooting I do.

The marauder seems to be recommended also and is quiet. Looking for more specs on the Avenger.
View Quote

I looked at the Benjamin as well but didn't want to spend the extra dollars.  Make sure which ever PCP you choose that it is regulated, it makes a big difference and the Avenger was the least expensive (but still recommended) regulated PCP I found in my searches.  As far as quiet, I have no experience to compare with other PCP rifles but the Avenger is quieter than my .177 break barrel springer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]
That's what I was looking for, just a bit quieter than my two springers.
Now off to research pumps.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
That's what I was looking for, just a bit quieter than my two springers.
Now off to research pumps.
View Quote

Happy to be of assistance.  The Four Uncles has worked well for me and was not as expensive as most while still getting good reviews.  Some people complained of air leaks at the fittings but a little Teflon tape and few minutes solved the problem.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m from the spring/piston camp. My RWS 460 Mag in .22 can sink a 16 gr JSB pellet 1/2” deep into a 2x4 @100 yards. It’s killed many a crow, squirrel, starling, and even 30lb beavers. No air tank to lug around with you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had air rifles including PCP's for years off and on. If I were to get into it again for pest control, I'd step it up to .25cal. No worries about them going supersonic and making noise, and they hit hard.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AdLucem] [#17]
I went in the opposite direction...  Weihrauch HW97 it has an under lever system, a fixed barrel and a match trigger.. it doesn't require an external air supply, is deadly accurate, quiet and powerful (approaching 1000 fps),  I chose the 177 as it is flatter shooting.... and will go through a paperback.. it is murder on squirrels and quiet enough to allow doubles if the opportunity presents itself.

You can buy them directly from Krale overseas for something close to 40% off ($400 and change as opposed to $600 and change in the US).

Weihrauch HW97 Black Line $445 to US buyers

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#18]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Many dive shops fill tanks for PCP guns.  The one here got interested in PCP air rifles as a result.  If you buy a tank, make certain the pressure is greater than or equal to the gun's requirement.  A 3000 psi scuba tank will not work well, or maybe not at all, for a 4500 psi rifle.

I use an Air Venturi tank.  I sold a like new scuba tank to use with a PCP free pistol.

Hand pumping is possible and some hardy folks start that way. Most don't stick with it long.

I wouldn't fart around with a semi auto, get a serious gun with a magazine.

I have an Air Arms S510.  Bought partly for the magazine, and partly for the adjustable power, and the accuracy of other models I had tried.  I bought a .177 caliber gun only because the club's backstops were too thin to stop some .22 pellets and guns.  Otherwise I would have bought the .22.

This gun is a very good value.  Not pretty in my view, but there is no denying the accuracy.  Several have been sold in my buddies shop -

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-avenger-regulated-pcp-air-rifle?m=5136#10278

This is a great rifle if you want a spring gun instead -

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-arms-tx200-mkiii-air-rifle?m=174#516

There will be others along shortly that will recommend a Benjamin Marauder.

View Quote

A .177 will take down most flying birds, and the Air Venturi Avenger is still my recommendation for rhe best bang-for-the-buck PCP.

I've had the .22 Avenger for a while now, and can filly recommend it. Tunable. Built-in adjustable regulator (the std Benjamin Marauder doesn't have a built-in regulator. You have to step up to the more expensive Field and Target version to get the regulator).

The Avenger is really accurate, and unlike some guns where you really need to test 5 - 10 different pellets/weights to find the pellet type that works well in that particular rifle, the Avenger works well with a wide variety (although the designer specifically designed the .22 Avenger around the JSB Diabolo Exact Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr pellets, which the rifle shoots really well).

Coupled with a DonnyFL moderator, it's cheaper and quieter than a std Marauder, while having the built-in adjustable regulator, and better general accuracy over a wider variety of pellets (and slugs).

Use the savings over a Marauder to get a compressor. I got the Benjamin Nomad Traveler Gen2 when it was on sale. No complaints. Can run off 120v or 12v off your vehicle battery for off-site (onsite?) use.

Tried the hand pump, and it's doable, but a workout, especially if you're trying to fill the Avenger to its max pressure (and you'd better be not just strong enough, but also heavy enough at the higher pressures, or you'll just end up doing weird dips/ narrow grip pushups, lol).

Long video, but gives a really good idea of what the Avenger is capable of (and a guide to tuning if you don't have the time/inclination to mess around yourself).

Air Venturi Avenger (AIRGUN TUNING GUIDE) ! + ACCURACY TEST - Airgun Regulator & Hammer Spring Setup
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Question. With the PCP air rifles. Can you leave them charged? I like the break action pump for the purpose of grab and go when vermin are in the yard.
View Quote

Yep.

It's actually recommended to leave them at least partially filled (maintains the seal integrity better. Leave it unfilled/empty for too long, and you might not ever be able to pressurize the tank again without changing the seals).
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]
PCPs are cool, but so are springers. A guy should have both in my opinion. Something cool about being completely independent with a springer. Carry it with you in your car/truck and you're only limited to the amount of pellets you have.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:18:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorgb] [#21]
@Adlucem

Just ordered the HW97 Blackline from Krale. They shipped same day (+1) for overseas.

Shopping for scope, what is that mounted to yours? Looks like a 32mm objective?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 3:18:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AdLucem] [#22]
@Adlucem

Just ordered the HW97 Blackline from Krale. They shipped same day (+1) for overseas.

Shopping for scope, what is that mounted to yours? Looks like a 32mm objective?
View Quote

@outdoorgb

Lol, my friend recently ordered one after shooting mine... he waited a month b/f they were back in stock.. he could'nt pass especially at that price! (they are $700 plus tax and shipping at air gun depot when you can get one) He received it w/in a week

My scope is a Japanese made Optisan Prestige 6Z 1-6x24 lit retical (now discontinued)  I cant remember its objective but you can speak to to Krale and they will make recommendations just make sure you tell them its for an air rifle....  the Optisan glass is great btw... don't forget mounts (get the lowest you can, as you are shooting close range...

They have a sale on a scope that looks similar at almost 40% on a https://www.krale.shop/us/rifle-scope-optisan-prestige-6z-2-13x44-raq/

ETA reviews show a fixed parellax of 100 https://www.balistas.com/optisan-prestige-6z-213x44-raq
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 3:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorgb] [#23]
I'm having a hell of time picking a scope. Thought the Hawke 4-12x40 AO AMX would be nice but reviews on air gun sites say, avoid.

And yes, finding the right ring height is tricky.

ETA, contacted Krale with questions about the Optisan. That seems like a lot of scope for the money. Thanks for the link.

ETA - that Optisan is gone. Should have pounced.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jagdterrier] [#24]
HW100 .22 Carbine

If you want an airgun for shooting slugs, this isn't the one for you, but if you want an extremely quiet, super accurate, high quality, air efficient. pellet firing airgun, that has one of the best mag systems, this is would be one to consider.

ETA: Mine came with a longer airtube than is pictured.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
RWS/Diana 48 .22
Mine likes heavy pellets. Crosman and H&N 14+ grains.  
Side-lever cocking springer.
Kinda heavy and loud, though.
Add a good scope and rubber mount the rings.
Practice your artillery hold.
I've had one for 10 years, now getting its 3rd spring and (Maccari) tuning; probably shot it more than any other and hope to for another 10.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Just about any rifle will drop a starling regardless of caliber.

One time I waited 10 meters from the antenna they were roosting on and dropped them with the weakest pistol in my arsenal that was capable of scoring a lung hit on a starling at 10M. About the best they could do after taking a wadcutter in the lungs at 350fps was set their wings, glide to the ground, and die without ever taking a step. When I used a rifle they'd be dead when they fell off the antenna. When the rifle was a Crosman 160 the .22 pellets would knock them off the antenna with an audible whack.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Whatever you get it will get out of control!  After bout with cancer and not being able to go to the range I dug out my FWB 65.  It needed seals so I ordered from Pyramyd Air and they came with a catalog.  Now $15,000 later I have 8 PCPs, 3 compressors and 10,000 pellets and slugs!  Whaatever you choose you will love it!
Enjoy
Jack
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a benjamin 177 marauder field and target and have it zeroed at 40 yards and drop squirrels and black birds like nothing. I am planning on a fx dreamline in 22 and plan on pellets for now.  I have a gx compressor from Amazon that has been great. I have a springer Gamo that I let my kids start on now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top