Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2013 9:13:55 PM EDT
So I've had an RWS 48 .22 for a while and I think it's time to put some optics on it, however I've heard the 48 is rough on scopes.

I'd like some real world advice on a scope and mounts for general plinking and hunting,  

My requirements are as follows

1.  Parallax - i want to be able to focus on short range targets 10 - 50 yards. Do I need adjustable parallax.

2. External knobs - i want to be able to easily adjust for wind and drop

3. Durability - needs to be able to stand up to the RWS 48

4.  30mm tube ? Is it necessary or just nice to have

5.  $500 is about my limit but I will listen if there is a reason to do it.

6. Fixed power is ok at about 8-12x

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Although I have never owned one (so I can not speak from personal experience), from what I have read the Hawke line of optic's are heavy springer rated... they are very well known and popular in pretty much every country outside of the U.S., and their reputation has started to spread over here as well.

Bushnell make's quite a few offerings that claim to be heavy-spring rated (some of which I have owned, but not installed on a springer)... Elite series are at the limit of your budget, made in Japan=Good!

Leupold has 2 offerings labeled as EFR, both of which are heavy springer rated from what I have read...

Personally, I ended up purchasing a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO for my new springer, which is within your allotted budget  
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40AO with BDC. These have a reputation for holding up on magnum springers. Also, the Clearidge 3-9X32 are are said to be springer rated.

I have both, the Vortex is on a PCP and the Clearidge is on an FWB300S, and would highly recommend either.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Primary Arms 4x16 on my .22 crosman nitro venom , very nice and does the job well.  had it on a 308 before so I know it will hold up and is good to go. had about 500 pellets thru it so far and no issues.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_16X44_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Scope_p/pa416x.htm

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have had luck with calling Pyramid Air when I was stumped.

It is my understanding that the forward recoil will kill even the sturdiest rifle scope, unless designed for an air gun.

That is true because springer airguns recoil in two directions and most scopes are only hardened for rearward recoil.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been using a Centerpoint 4-16 X 40 Walmart special for thousands of pellets on my 48.
I have also used a Redfield Revolution 4-9 X 40 with great success too.

I have never killed a scope with a heavy springer, maybe I have been lucky?
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I screwed up and actually have an RWS 460 Mag not a 48,  that being said I'm going to give the Hawke Optics a try.  

Thanks for the input guys.

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Diamond Back on an HW95 .22 and the Clearidge on a PW HW50S.
I had done some homework on the Vortex and exchanged emails with the company who confirmed the Diamond Back is springer rated and is the only scope of theirs that is.
I've owned 3 or 4 Clearidge's which are distributed by The Optic Zone who confirmed the scope's springer rated, they are a very nice scope, John & Tammy are very nice people to deal with..and handle the Vortex line as well,  both of the scopes focus to 10 yd's
I've had 8 or 10 of the older Bushnell Legend's, they focused down to 10yd's, the newer Legends are Not the same...I never had an older Legend take a dump on any thing.
I still have a few Legends but the Diamond Back will be my next "go to scope"
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been using a Centerpoint 4-16 X 40 Walmart special for thousands of pellets on my 48.
I have also used a Redfield Revolution 4-9 X 40 with great success too.

I have never killed a scope with a heavy springer, maybe I have been lucky?
View Quote

Have one of those here and it is still going on a Hatsan NP after about 1200 pellets.
For $69 bucks from Wally World, I am satisfied!
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I put a Truglo 2-7x32 on my Gamo Big Cat.    Has around 250 or so pellets under its belt, hopefully it holds up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top