Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2018 7:35:29 PM EDT
Wanting either a cotton or leather military style sling that won't break the bank for my mini 14.  I noticed the sling loops or whatever the technical term is are narrower than a 1 1/4".
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Leather looks cool on the M1A-M14-ish looking rifles....

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#2]
M1 Carbine repro slings work well with a bit of fiddling to get them through the loops.  I replaced the 1" Ruger front sling loop with a 1.25" aftermarket loop and a removable rear sling swivel to allow my M1 Carbine sling to function freely.  As you can see, I've also done a bit more to my Mini to give it a more M14 vibe.

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I always liked the classic look of green canvas or leather on the traditional wood stock Mini-14.  I never thought the common black nylon ones looked correct with them.  The swivels are narrow for a Garand or m14 style sling (changing to 1.25" swivel would be best - but I didn't do that- So I went with an inexpensive Uzi sling that had leather keepers.  Not correct to the rifle, but fits the original loops and and keeps a classic look.  PS they are inexpensive - These are $6.95 at DS Arms.
and other places.

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#4]

1" GI web sling from Tech Sights, was $15.  Works well.  With the OE straight mags, people on the range have asked me which version of Carbine I'm shooting.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With the OE straight mags, people on the range have asked me which version of Carbine I'm shooting.
View Quote
As to people confusing my Mini M14 for something else, a few have told me, " Nice M1A you got there."  Also, once I had both my M1A and my Mini sitting on the bench and a couple guys came up and asked if my Mini was a SOCOM model M1A.

Those 20rd straight mags do make it look like an M1A/M14 which is the point of getting them (and the fact that they were $14 and work 100% didn't hurt either.)
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leather looks cool on the M1A-M14-ish looking rifles....

www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C51D6
View Quote
Maybe, however, as a US Army Armorer with 350ea M14s and 1911s in my care back in the day (early '68), I can tell you that the M-14 was never issued to the regular troops with a leather sling.  Every one I had in my arms room had a wood stock, fiberglass handguard (wooden handguards were issued on the very early M14s, however, in testing they smoked with full auto fire and were deemed unsafe), and a green cotton sling.  Yes, parade M14s usually had a leather sling but not on regular issue M14s.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys appreciate all the feed back.  I got a cj weapons green cotton sling on my M1A and love it for $17.  It just too wide for the mini.  Think I may go with the cotton tech sight sling.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
A VZ58 sling works fine
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Leather looks fine:

But I prefer the green nylon slings from Tech Sights:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top