Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2021 12:51:57 PM EDT
What is your preferred engraving location?

Gotta get a couple SBRs engraved with my Trust.

I'm defaulting to right side of mag well because there's nothing there on my lowers.  But I'm wondering if there's a good reason to put it somewhere else.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Inside lip of mag well? That’s where all mine are. Rail channel for mp5k. Have to look hard for mine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
AR: Inside of magwell
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The barrel (depending on how many short uppers you have for it).
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The barrel (depending on how many short uppers you have for it).
View Quote

Not trying to sound rude, but what benefit does engraving the barrel rather than the lower provide?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not trying to sound rude, but what benefit does engraving the barrel rather than the lower provide?
View Quote

Barrels are cheap and relatively easy to replace. Lowers are harder to sell if they are engraved, so if you have a higher end one that holds its value, you might not want to engrave it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Barrels are cheap and relatively easy to replace. Lowers are harder to sell if they are engraved, so if you have a higher end one that holds its value, you might not want to engrave it.
View Quote

Makes sense, thanks. Can you engrave multiple barrels if you wanted to use different calipers or lengths with one stamp? IE, have a 300 BO barrel engraved and a 7.62x39 engraved so you can use one or the other?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
AR - in trigger guard area
AK - under trigger guard - it was a new build so it was done before trigger guard install

I have done AR'S in front of magwell, side and trigger area - kinda depends of lower also sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Precisely this.

If you list anything you NFA registered for sale later as a Title I (GCA) firearm, you'll wish you could get the engraving off of it.

It's easy enough to swap the original long barrel back on (assuming you keep it).

Or remove the stock (if you converted a pistol).

The SBR resale market is not good for sellers (due to the 2x tax stamps typically required).

Quoted:
Makes sense, thanks. Can you engrave multiple barrels if you wanted to use different calipers or lengths with one stamp? IE, have a 300 BO barrel engraved and a 7.62x39 engraved so you can use one or the other?
Yes, and only those barrels <16" need to be engraved (since it doesn't need NFA engraving when not in an NFA configuration).
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Precisely this.

If you list anything you NFA registered for sale later as a Title I (GCA) firearm, you'll wish you could get the engraving off of it.

It's easy enough to swap the original long barrel back on (assuming you keep it).

The SBR resale market is not good for sellers (due to the 2x tax stamps typically required).

Yes, and only those barrels <16" need to be engraved (since it doesn't need NFA engraving when not in an NFA configuration).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Precisely this.

Quoted:

Wow I didn't know this, maybe I'll get my barrels engraved instead.  I wanted to be able to swap uppers on my SBRs anyway.

Do you have a preferred engraving vendor for this?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do you have a preferred engraving vendor for this?
View Quote
I don't have anyone to recommend currently.

Hopefully others can share their preferred vendors, but it is a less commonly requested location. "Flat" engraving is far more common.

The good news is you can ship barrels off to anyone for engraving. They don't necessarily have to be an FFL.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Had mine engraved in the trigger area.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Tar Heel State Firearms in NC engraved my Colts in the trigger area. Excellent work and turnaround.

https://tarheelstatefirearms.com/
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#14]
That pic got me curious

I wonder if you can engrave in the trigger area on say a aero m4e1 lower with the integrated trigger guard
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That pic got me curious

I wonder if you can engrave in the trigger area on say a aero m4e1 lower with the integrated trigger guard
View Quote

Just sent my BA-15 (same as M4E1) and another lower to THSF to get engraved in the trigger area.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes

Local guy said those lowers or any with a built in trigger guard were usually a no go..

Edit: I’m talking like above but, the aero m4’s have a integrated guard. Hence why I was asking

Was thinking there or the inside of the mag well lip, but he advised against it, as it’s a constant contact point or something.. can damage easily is what he was getting at I think
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#18]
For AR lower, definitely trigger area by Tarheel State Firearms, period.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I wish I would have done that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That pic got me curious

View Quote

I doubt it. I’m sure you could angle the lower in whatever stabilizer you’re using to get the laser to hit inside, but it’s going to deflect and not give you exactly what you designed. Kind of like shining a flashlight onto a wall and then angling it down lower, the light is no longer round but oblong. It might not make enough of a difference depending on font size, but I can see not wanting to do it because of the additional time and difficulties. I’d probably try to do it on the inside flare of the magwell.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I debated for a while about doing it there or trying to have it done on the receiver and hope it was similar to the manufacturer markings. But now I’m glad I did. Don’t even know it’s there unless you look.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I doubt it. I’m sure you could angle the lower in whatever stabilizer you’re using to get the laser to hit inside, but it’s going to deflect and not give you exactly what you designed. Kind of like shining a flashlight onto a wall and then angling it down lower, the light is no longer round but oblong. It might not make enough of a difference depending on font size, but I can see not wanting to do it because of the additional time and difficulties. I’d probably try to do it on the inside flare of the magwell.
View Quote

I don’t know about THSF, but it seems to me if you’re doing computer controlled laser engraving, correcting for angle of incidence of the laser should be trivial.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don’t know about THSF, but it seems to me if you’re doing computer controlled laser engraving, correcting for angle of incidence of the laser should be trivial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh probably, I don't know enough about the process to be an expert, just throwing out a what if. I think the issue that would arise would be ensuring it's even since the power wouldn't be even over the rout. You might need to do more passes, adjust the power, etc. I'd guess once you get a jig made to hold it at the same angle it'd be trivial, but how often would you be doing it would be the thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Front magwell
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Any reasons not to put above the buffer threads?

ETA: NM, will be covered by charging handle and upper.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Yup.  Best area.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Some places have jigs set up and require lower to be disassembled, at least to some point.

THSF clamps them in a padded vise, no disassembly required. Buffer tube, trigger, trigger guard, etcnot a problem for engraving around the trigger hole.
View Quote
Then they're definitely getting my Colt to engrave.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I generally like inside of the magwell on factory built lowers.  Homebuilt when Im starting with a $75-100 receiver I generally dont care, put it on the side.

Here's a KAC lower I had the guy put one line on each of the inner magwell sides

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 3:42:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tar Heel State Firearms in NC engraved my Colts in the trigger area. Excellent work and turnaround.

https://tarheelstatefirearms.com/
View Quote

This is exactly the information I needed.
Top Top