Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 4:24:15 PM EDT
I previously build an 11.5" pistol(5.56) with an 11" Troy Alpha Battle Rail with the integrated front flip up site.  I never thought about suppressor clearance until I caught the bug recently and bought a Saker 7.62.  The suppressor won't fit on the barrel with the rail.  Would you guys buy a different barrel and take it out to 12" or a different rail?  I honestly think I have more in the rail than the barrel at this point.  
My other option is I could try to have the rail cut down half an inch.  Thoughts or opinions?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got 11.5" upper with a 9" troy alpha rail. I am wanting to have the rail go as close as possible to the muzzle but still be

able to get my specwar on. I'm thinking about getting a 11" alpha rail and cutting it if it won't work. A 10" isn't close enough.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd sell the rail and pick up a 10" KMR. save some weight while you fix your issue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd sell the rail and pick up a 10" KMR. save some weight while you fix your issue.
View Quote

This.... is the correct answer!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
... plus it's probably easier to sell a used rail than a used barrel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts on the MI-SSK? It's half an inch longer and weighs an once more and is ~$100 less than the BCM KMR.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#6]
for the KMR, has anyone experience excessive heat coming from it? I felt my buddies BCM upper with KMR was getting hotter to handle than my equal length BCM upper with DD lite 2
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, I have a half inch to give up on the backside of the rail.  I see above that someone said time to get the band saw out, has anyone ever done this?  I assume it would make it look like shit afterwords.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, I have a half inch to give up on the backside of the rail.  I see above that someone said time to get the band saw out, has anyone ever done this?  I assume it would make it look like shit afterwords.
View Quote

The KMR is nice and I"ve thought about it several times. It would definately save a few ounces. However it won't cover as much of the barrel as I want. I want my rail to come right to the back of my

specwar where I just have enough room to lock it on. Only way to do this is cut the rail. I have a 11" bravo rail that I matched up on my barrel to compare as it's the same size as the 11" alpha. It

looks like I will be about 1/4 to 3/8"  long so I will have to cut the rail. A 10.5" rail would be close but still not as close as possible.

As for what it would look like well I have seen where guys on here cut rails and painted the edge they cut after first smoothing it out with a dremel and you really couldn't even tell they had done it.

That is as long as you take your time and have the right tools so you don't make a mess of it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The KMR is nice and I"ve thought about it several times. It would definately save a few ounces. However it won't cover as much of the barrel as I want. I want my rail to come right to the back of my

specwar where I just have enough room to lock it on. Only way to do this is cut the rail. I have a 11" bravo rail that I matched up on my barrel to compare as it's the same size as the 11" alpha. It

looks like I will be about 1/4 to 3/8"  long so I will have to cut the rail. A 10.5" rail would be close but still not as close as possible.

As for what it would look like well I have seen where guys on here cut rails and painted the edge they cut after first smoothing it out with a dremel and you really couldn't even tell they had done it.

That is as long as you take your time and have the right tools so you don't make a mess of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to def look into this.  I would rather not spend the extra money at the moment.  I'll probably just wait until I can pick up the can and then go from there.  Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a cheaper rail and cut it back to just clear for my soon to be Saker.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a cheaper rail and cut it back to just clear for my soon to be Saker.
View Quote

Show some pic's when you get it all set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top