Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 1:41:49 PM EDT
I'm purchasing my 1st SBR...a factory KAC 14.5. Originally I was just going to pin and weld a brake since, what good is paying $200 for 1.5"? Then I started seriously considering going through with the SBR anyway. My thought process is that it should open me up to shorter uppers such as a 9" 300BK down the road.

This was kind of shot down today by a buddy who stated that he believes that I would have to keep it a 14.5 5.56 gun since that is what the paperwork will state.

So is he correct or will I be able to swap lengths and cals once I receive the lower? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
He's incorrect.

An SBR is not defined by a specific caliber or barrel length. You may change the caliber and barrel length of your registered SBR all day long. No further paperwork required.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Just to add to Homeinvader's input...you're going to get somebody on here tell you that you can put any upper you want on it as long as you keep the original. Don't listen to them.

The AR platform is modular. You're not going to permanently change it so that it can't be altered again in the future. You can always go back to original configuration, even if it means buying/building another upper. The BATFE recommends you notifying them of a permanent change...but doesn't require it. And the changes you'd probably make (I.e swapping an upper) are not permanent.

The only time it becomes a problem is if you tried to sell it and the specs didn't match what was in the registry. That can usually be straightened out with a written explanation if the examiner gets picky.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
First two posts nailed it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Man! Thanks for the help fellas! Dunno why I have put this off for so long.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]
So to clarify this for me, as long as you own at least one registered NFA lower receiver, you can possess multiple uppers (less than 16") and be legal?  
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So to clarify this for me, as long as you own at least one registered NFA lower receiver, you can possess multiple uppers (less than 16") and be legal?  
Thanks.
View Quote

Yes. One SBR OR pistol lower, and as many short uppers as you wish.

And before all of the "no you can't crowd:"

BATFE Letter

Last paragraph of the first page of the BATFE response (third page overall).
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
you just can't start selling/trading stuff away and end up with one short barreled upper and one rifle lower that isn't registered as an SBR...

other than that, start collecting...

the safest thing for me was to build a pistol lower (OK, I built two) to keep around while waiting on my first Form 1s
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I never see pistol lowers for sale any more.  Where are you finding them?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I never see pistol lowers for sale any more.  Where are you finding them?
View Quote

You don't need a specific 'pistol' lower. Just buy a stripped lower.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I was under the impression that you had to buy a designated/engraved "PISTOL" lower to be legal.  I used to see them but have not seen any for quite a while now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that you had to buy a designated/engraved "PISTOL" lower to be legal.  I used to see them but have not seen any for quite a while now.
View Quote

Naw, any stripped lower will do just so long as it's never been previously built up into a rifle with a butt stock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Naw, any stripped lower will do just so long as it's never been previously built up into a rifle with a butt stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

The receiver is transferred as "other" on the 4473, so how you build it determines what it is. As long as you built it as a pistol first, you're good to go. You can build it as a pistol, make it a rifle, and take it back to a pistol. You just can't build it first as a rifle and then make it a pistol.

There are some manufacturers that make lowers marked "pistol", but you can use them to build a rifle if you wish. I did buy one just in case any local LEO were completely clueless on the laws. Figured it might help a bit. But, it's was not a requirement.

JSE Surplus has 76 of the Mega pistol lowers in stock @ $131 as I type this.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you everyone for the clarification on the pistol lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top