Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/29/2018 10:51:23 PM EDT
I kaboomed a Noveske rifle today...  Have some pics and things I'd like to share.  Where would the best section or place be here to do that?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is as apropriate as any I would think. Could post in GD for the lolz
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ouch, Noveske receivers aren't cheap!

In for story and pics.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ouch, Noveske receivers aren't cheap!

In for story and pics.
View Quote
In for the story.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
In for kaboomed pics
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ost
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Gun is a Noveske built Rouge Hunter.  18" stainless barrel.  I've shot several loads both factory and hand loads from this gun with no issue until today.  These were my 55gr handloads from "once fired" LC brass.  This is the first time I've loaded these cases as I had to swage them.  Using 23.9 gr of H335.  These aren't super hot loads, I'll have to see if I have any chrono data for them.  Today, shooting at 100 yds, the last mag of the day, and the last round in the mag... KABOOM!

I've always seen videos of this, but nevertheless, I had the same scared/surprised reaction.  Initially not knowing what happened.  Overall, the damage wasn't major.  I lost the BCG and upper receiver, but the lower (minus the broken bolt hold open) seems fine.  I haven't "cleared" the barrel yet, but that seems fine at this point as well.  Here is what I'm working with:

I started by sticking a cleaning rod down the business end.  I measure, and I was getting 14" of the rod down an 18" barrel, so I knew something was lodged in there.  I wanted to try and keep whatever was in there as intact as possible so I didn't want to back it through the reverse direction.  I also didn't want to ruin my cleaning rod and/or risk scratching rifling.  Since the BCG was lodged in there, I wasn't sure if that would even work.  I disassembled the gun as best I could before taking a dremel to the already ruined upper:

I eventually broke the case head off.  Notice the black marks around the primer.  If I shine a light in there, I can still see the base of the bullet.  So the power just burned up.  The eject is ruined, but the rest of the bolt seems intact.  No warps or cracks.

My question here... Is this case head separation?  What else should I examine or take into account?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Only one bullet in the barrel?

Looks eerily like a squib...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it possible to have squib that ejects and feeds in a new round?  It was business as usual when I was shooting.  No type of stopage before the Kaboom.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is it possible to have squib that ejects and feeds in a new round?  It was business as usual when I was shooting.  No type of stopage before the Kaboom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's certainly possible... but it seems highly unlikely if you got 14" of cleaning rod down the barrel. If the squib didn't get to the gas port, I don't see how the rifle could have cycled.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've read about it happening in pistols. Not knowledgeable enough to know in this case though...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's certainly possible... but it seems highly unlikely if you got 14" of cleaning rod down the barrel. If the squib didn't get to the gas port, I don't see how the rifle could have cycled.
View Quote
Ah, that makes sense.  I did some quick reading and some threads said it's nearly if not completely impossible to fire an AR out of battery.  So there goes that theory...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ah, that makes sense.  I did some quick reading and some threads said it's nearly if not completely impossible to fire an AR out of battery.  So there goes that theory...
View Quote
I would find it a fantastic combination of factors for a bullet to not have enough gas pressure to exit the barrel and wedge just at the very last few inches of BBL, yet there be enough pressure to cycle the action, in an action designed to cycle at 10's of thousands of PSI.  And if it did, the impulse from which did not to feel remarkably different.? In short - no, someone is going to have to show me a documented case of that occurring before I'll believe it's possible.

As to OPs Kaboom - I don"t know. This one is odd.  Since there apparently is a barrel obstruction near the throat of the barrel, I'm going to suspect something very amiss with the reload.  Perhaps a pistol powder contamination, but I'm more wondering if something else - like 300 blackout snuck in that magazine.  Or the bullet jacket shed on the prior shot.  Or the casing had something else inside of it.  Or the casing neck broke and got wedged in the throat.  Or a blown primer cycled back into the barrel.

Right now, 300 blackout. Or similar event of oversized diameter bullet, is most consistent with the data.

So on that note, where did the prior shot impact? Were you shooting on paper?  Do you own a 300 blackout?  Do you reload ammo for any other calibers, that are slightly bigger than. 224 dia? Do you use the same equipment for rifle reloading, also for pistol reloading?  Did you retain the brass and reload ammo, and can post some pics of prior shots fired brass?  Can you break down some of the non kaboomed ammo and show us the powder, and check that weight?  What was the specific reload recipe used?  Who made the bullets and where did you get them from.  In brass prep, describe how you do that.  Do you crimp?  Do you tumble after living the inside of the neck for resizing?  Do you wet or dry tumble, and what media?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Also, we can see from the photo this was not an OOB or simple weak brass failure, as there was enough pressure to flow brass back into the ejector - that takes a lot of pressure.  So the bolt was closed, and massive pressure built up, we can see that much.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you reload pistol rounds on the same set-up?
View Quote
This would be my question as well .

Could have not got all the pistol powder out of the hopper and filled it with
Rifle powder ,

1st few rounds would be a mutt .
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do you reload pistol rounds on the same set-up?
View Quote
This, on a progressive press.  did you last load pistol ammo, then switched to rifle.  You could have had pistol powder in the powder drop even though the hopper appeared empty.  Your first drop of 5.56 could have been a mix.  Especillay if you just have a setting on the powder drop and just turned the drop to that without doing a few test drops before starting the batch.

I also bet the LAST round you fired was the FIRST round you loaded in the mag was also the first round you got out of the press as you were running the 5.56 batch.

I find that I can't load 5.56 as cheap as I can buy it these days.  I just get the 5.50 a box stuff.  My other rifles I roll my own.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the reply guys.  I planned on going through some of the other brass and looking for pressure signs.  Based on several types of ammo I shot yesterday, I think I can identify my batch of handloads.  I think the LC brass I used was all from 2011 and has brass colored primers.  The other stuff I shot that day (Black Hills) has nickel colored primers or WCC cases.

1. Impossible to have pistol power in there.  I reload on a 650 and have separate tool heads.  So pistol power has never been in that powder drop.
2. I did have 300 blackout that day, but in my experience, I've never been able to actually chamber 300 round in a 556 barrel.
3. I made a large batch of these rounds last winter.  Probably 1500 or so.  I've fired a few hundred from this batch with no issues.  Though, the 1st time shooting from an 18" barrel.  I usually fire them a 14.5"  I will pull some of the rounds a check the powder charge.  I think it's just under 24 gr of H335.  Bullets are 55gr from xtreme.
4. These cases were "once fired" LC.  Bought a large batch of them from fast and friendly brass.  I believe them to be once fired as I had to swage all of them.  I reamed them out the RCBS case prep.  Wet tumbled them and re-sized/loaded as normal.
5.  I was shooting steel that day at 100 yards.  It was the end of the day and last mag so I was trying double taps.  To my memory, it was business as usual.  I may have missed the 2nd shot before the kaboom, but I can't be certain.  It's not something I usually do, just screwing around before packing up... go figure!

I'm thinking at this point, I should bang the round out of the barrel.  I have a long Dewey cleaning rod, but I'm assuming that will be trashed if I bang on it with a hammer.  Would picking up a cheap steel cleaning rod wrapped electrical tape be sufficient to remove the obstruction without scratching the rifling/chamber?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply guys.  I planned on going through some of the other brass and looking for pressure signs.  Based on several types of ammo I shot yesterday, I think I can identify my batch of handloads.  I think the LC brass I used was all from 2011 and has brass colored primers.  The other stuff I shot that day (Black Hills) has nickel colored primers or WCC cases.

1. Impossible to have pistol power in there.  I reload on a 650 and have separate tool heads.  So pistol power has never been in that powder drop.
2. I did have 300 blackout that day, but in my experience, I've never been able to actually chamber 300 round in a 556 barrel.
3. I made a large batch of these rounds last winter.  Probably 1500 or so.  I've fired a few hundred from this batch with no issues.  Though, the 1st time shooting from an 18" barrel.  I usually fire them a 14.5"  I will pull some of the rounds a check the powder charge.  I think it's just under 24 gr of H335.  Bullets are 55gr from xtreme.
4. These cases were "once fired" LC.  Bought a large batch of them from fast and friendly brass.  I believe them to be once fired as I had to swage all of them.  I reamed them out the RCBS case prep.  Wet tumbled them and re-sized/loaded as normal.
5.  I was shooting steel that day at 100 yards.  It was the end of the day and last mag so I was trying double taps.  To my memory, it was business as usual.  I may have missed the 2nd shot before the kaboom, but I can't be certain.  It's not something I usually do, just screwing around before packing up... go figure!

I'm thinking at this point, I should bang the round out of the barrel.  I have a long Dewey cleaning rod, but I'm assuming that will be trashed if I bang on it with a hammer.  Would picking up a cheap steel cleaning rod wrapped electrical tape be sufficient to remove the obstruction without scratching the rifling/chamber?
View Quote
...and there it is.  Makes sense as it would have been the first round you would have loaded in. Then maybe got distracted and switched back to 556.  Had you mentioned you have 300 blackout "around," someone else would have deduced it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is another shot of the bolt/carrier.  I think the bolt might actually be usable if I get a new extractor.

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
300BO will chamber in a 5.56 chamber and promptly kaboom.  I think it is the most common kaboom for the AR15.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#25]
When I reload or purchase ammo the .300 and the 5.56 never ends up in close proximity to each other,  NEVER, the .300 WILL chamber in a 5.56 and it will go kaboom, here at the house, those two calibers are NEVER on the bench at the same time, my rule is one caliber on the shooting bench at a time and when we change to the other, the first caliber goes back in the shop.

As far as using that bolt again, throw it away and get a new one, the pressures created can cause micro fractures that you have no idea about and fail at any time, anytime you have a malfunction of this nature, that gun is done, do use any parts in the Fire control area again.  If you do, you are inviting a failure in the future.

Glad you are okay, but you need to really pay attention, next time it might not be a broken gun and a small powder burn.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...and there it is.  Makes sense as it would have been the first round you would have loaded in. Then maybe got distracted and switched back to 556.  Had you mentioned you have 300 blackout "around," someone else would have deduced it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeup, there it is.  We had a .300 BO kaboom thread just last week in fact, complete with video; and quite similar to OP's story.  good luck getting that bullet out.  Easiest way to test is to see how far the cleaning rod goes down one end, and how far down the other.  If the difference in length is quite a bit longer than a typical 223 bullet...

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#27]
GREAT PICTURE OF SOME AWESOME MILLWORK!!!!

Does the OP have any chance in hell of ever getting a 300BO bullet out of the barrel without trashing the rifling???
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
...and there it is.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Does the OP have any chance in hell of ever getting a 300BO bullet out of the barrel without trashing the rifling???
View All Quotes
Quoted:

i guess he could try and melt it out

i'd just get another barrel, they're not that expensive
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

[color=#ff0000]I'm thinking at this point, I should bang the round out of the barrel.  I have a long Dewey cleaning rod, but I'm assuming that will be trashed if I bang on it with a hammer.  Would picking up a cheap steel cleaning rod wrapped electrical tape be sufficient to remove the obstruction without scratching the rifling/chamber?
View Quote
[/color]

I have a few brass rods in different diameters from the local surplus metals place that are handy for bore obstructions, ( And if you need to make a punch or drift)

Pretty sure you can pick some up at your hardware store if you don't mind paying for it.

ETA: If you swaged a .300 Blackout in there, your wasting your time with a hammer and rod. follow the advice above to determine the length of the obstruction.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys.  I'll keep everyone posted with what I find.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:07:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t dream of using this bolt for anything but a paperweight.
View Quote
I was going to say something similar.

After something this catastrophic it would be insane to use that bolt again.  Especially as cheap as a good one is right now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:08:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeup, there it is.  We had a .300 BO kaboom thread just last week in fact, complete with video; and quite similar to OP's story.  good luck getting that bullet out.  Easiest way to test is to see how far the cleaning rod goes down one end, and how far down the other.  If the difference in length is quite a bit longer than a typical 223 bullet...

https://www.weapon-blog.com/wp-content/uplods/2014/03/300-aac-blackout-5.56-rifle.jpg
View Quote
This is such a cool pic.  The 30 cal bullet swaged down to .224" and pushed well into the bore.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:11:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is quite easy to build a fitting to screw onto the muzzle threads and connect a grease gun.  Fill the bore up w water, connect the grease gun and fitting and give it a few pumps.  Hydraulic pressure will push anything out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:38:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It is quite easy to build a fitting to screw onto the muzzle threads and connect a grease gun.  Fill the bore up w water, connect the grease gun and fitting and give it a few pumps.  Hydraulic pressure will push anything out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this isn't a squib brother, it's not stuck in there as a result of a low power charge.  whatever happened here infers normal chamber pressures being exceeded

industrial grease guns produce around,  what... like 15,000 pounds of pressure?

and typical rifle chamber pressures are around 50,000 pounds?

if normal chamber pressure was exceeded,  and it seems it was... that bullet got stuck before the remaining pressure broke the bolt and bent up the lower receiver

i'm guessing physical strength and equipment limits will keep that bullet right where it is. besides,  the gas outlet wouldn't allow enough pressure to build

even if you managed to seal that gas outlet (without damaging the barrel) any grease gun that can move that lodged projectile would be more than a new barrel.

thermodynamics is pretty cool
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When I reload or purchase ammo the .300 and the 5.56 never ends up in close proximity to each other,  NEVER, the .300 WILL chamber in a 5.56 and it will go kaboom, here at the house, those two calibers are NEVER on the bench at the same time, my rule is one caliber on the shooting bench at a time and when we change to the other, the first caliber goes back in the shop.

As far as using that bolt again, throw it away and get a new one, the pressures created can cause micro fractures that you have no idea about and fail at any time, anytime you have a malfunction of this nature, that gun is done, do use any parts in the Fire control area again.  If you do, you are inviting a failure in the future.

Glad you are okay, but you need to really pay attention, next time it might not be a broken gun and a small powder burn.
View Quote
You mean any parts of the pressure-holding variety. The FCG is likely 100% fine and I'd have no issue using it. The bolt/barrel extension... not a chance.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#38]
We have a winner...

Projectiles I had loaded in 300 BO were 125 grain...

Several things I take away from this:

1. You CAN chamber a 300 BLKOUT round and fire in 5.56.  I had this happen a few times over the years but the it caused some type of malfunction like a feeding error or bolt was out of battery.
2. I fell better knowing it wasn't my 5.56 rounds loaded too hot.  I had initially checked fired cases from that batch and didn't see any signs of over pressure.  Good to know as I've always been careful when reloading.
3. I put a 300 BO in my .223 case gauge and doesn't fit.  I'm assuming the round was set back into the case some to allow the gun to go into battery.  I only have a light crimp on my BO loads.  Would a stronger crimp have prevented the this?

Guess I'll have to pay better attention when loading mags... you live and you learn.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#39]
man that stinks

that round doesn't look that bad, was the rear hanging out of the bore? subsonic?
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh hell, I'll use it until a lug breaks off.  It'll run for years as little as I shoot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
man that stinks

that round doesn't look that bad, was the rear hanging out of the bore? subsonic?
View Quote
Not subsonic.  It seemed like the rear of the projectile mushroomed some back into the case so the bullet wasn't fully swaged into the barrel.  It wasn't any tougher to bang that bullet out than say a .45ACP squib.

125 gr Speer TNT projectile loaded with 16.5 gr of IMR4227.  That round isn't super hot from a .300 BO barrel, but in 5.56... um yea!
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We have a winner...
1. You CAN chamber a 300 BLKOUT round and fire in 5.56.  I had this happen a few times over the years but the it caused some type of malfunction like a feeding error or bolt was out of battery.
View Quote
DUDE!   Change something.  Change a lot of somethings!  Get dedicated .300 BO mags that are visually highly different in appearance.  Get dedicated ammo boxes and ammo cans that are visually highly different in appearance.

Or get rid of .300 BO entirely, unless you're running suppressed; go with 6.5 Grendle or something else that won't fit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I had sort of planned on adding a 300BO to my pile of toys at some point.

I am thinking now that I don't want any of that in my stuff.

Couple of years back I bought a Marlin lever action 45/70 and did some near max loads to try it out. I did several things to keep the hot marlin ammo
away from my trapdoors but it bothered me to think of the outcome and I now only load the Marlin level ammo in small batches and always shoot it all up
in one range trip.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not subsonic.  It seemed like the rear of the projectile mushroomed some back into the case so the bullet wasn't fully swaged into the barrel.  It wasn't any tougher to bang that bullet out than say a .45ACP squib.

125 gr Speer TNT projectile loaded with 16.5 gr of IMR4227.  That round isn't super hot from a .300 BO barrel, but in 5.56... um yea!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
man that stinks

that stopped as soon as it started, it looked like a cork
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Start painting your mag basses....

Or do what i do....

Metal mags = 5.56

Plastic mags = 300 blk out
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#46]
I got some 20 round magazines for the .300 BO.  Then I pretty much stopped shooting it anyway.  Mine just won't shoot with the .223 anyway.  I don't have time for poor groups.  The plan was to put a silencer on it but I never got around to it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#47]
oy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#48]
These threads make me nervous when I am out with buddies and a bunch of rifles of various calibers.  Everyone is switching rifles and handing out mags.  Might have to banish the 300BO guys to one end of the firing line.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
My gunsmith has a setup similar to how you described & has been doing it for years.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My gunsmith has a setup similar to how you described & has been doing it for years.
View Quote
Yea, I made mine up years ago when I had to remove a stuck case that defied every attempt to get it out.  It was actually shocking how easily the grease pressure pushed out the stuck case.  Quick & simple with no potential to damage the bore.  For an AR, I just loosened the gas block and turned it slightly sideways, then retightened it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top