Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2020 10:47:49 PM EDT
I had been in contact with this firm some time ago, but situations changed and a house move got in the way

Cannot find the website anymore, has the firm folded or ceased trading?

I was keen to get some parts from them to make a Lee Enfield PCC build a little easier on this side of the pond (mag adaptor, wooden forend, etc)
Plan B was to look at doing some sort of Swede Mauser build, as I have donor guns of both types to hand; no issues about spoiling good guns in either case, as both were converted to smooth-bore many decades before I purchased them due to an earlier UK law which made smooth-bored military rifles relatively easy to own, compared to intact rifles.

If I cannot find some of the SIA parts I will either see what the alternative options are from other firms, or home roll pistol spec loads (bullet weight/velocity/energy) using normal cases = for short range use indoors and for use at outdoor shoots designated for PCC only

Thanks for any help you can give
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Last I talked to him he was done with the business side of guns. He closed his old location and moved.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies
Pity, some of his kits looked very interesting

Will have to see who takes up the slack to fill the need for such things
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:52:36 AM EDT
[#4]
He made some cool stuff. I wish I would have grabbed a Novem or had one built. Don’t really need it but thought they were cool
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Crap, i had meant to buy a used .22 TCM barrel from him a few years ago and have it turned down to fit an UZI.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crap, i had meant to buy a used .22 TCM barrel from him a few years ago and have it turned down to fit an UZI.
View Quote
I think "the AR Guy" can make one. he also has a wildcat called 22 Uzi or something of the sort.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Consider yourself lucky. I had a deal with him, and it only took me over three years to finally get my gun. There was every reason given, except the dog ate it. My understanding is, the BATFE read him the riot act, because of the number of complaints about people not receiving their Title-II guns. He had transferred on paper, my gun to my dealer over nine months before the gun was finished. Hell, Richard took so long to finish the gun, my dealer got out of the business, before my gun was completed. Special Interest Arms, turned in his FFL, and got out of business, before the Feds pulled his license.

It truly is a shame, because the DeLisle I received is truly a nice gun. Knowing what I know now, no way would I have got involved.

Mobjack

Below is a picture of my gun.

" />
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Consider yourself lucky. I had a deal with him, and it only took me over three years to finally get my gun. There was every reason given, except the dog ate it. My understanding is, the BATFE read him the riot act, because of the number of complaints about people not receiving their Title-II guns. He had transferred on paper, my gun to my dealer over nine months before the gun was finished. Hell, Richard took so long to finish the gun, my dealer got out of the business, before my gun was completed. Special Interest Arms, turned in his FFL, and got out of business, before the Feds pulled his license.

It truly is a shame, because the DeLisle I received is truly a nice gun. Knowing what I know now, no way would I have got involved.

Mobjack

Below is a picture of my gun. (or not)

http://i.imgur.com/VwJCQ7ol.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/VwJCQ7ol.jpg
View Quote
Looks nice - have you used it much?

IF at some stage I go down the DeLisle route, it will HAVE to be a modernised version
First shot a DeLisle about 30 years ago - a UK repro from the Walter Gun Co
At 25-yards it grouped about 3 feet or so for 5 shots; my thoughts to this, from looking into the design features, are that having the bullets pass through a rubber wipe/baffle tends to veer them off the straight and narrow.
Making one that has the aesthetics but with a more modern design of integral sound mod. would be a much better plan, plus I'd maybe use a longer barrel than the WW2 originals.

Always fancied doing a replica of the initial design (based on the .22lr Browning take-down semi-auto)

I later had a WelRod from the same firm, in .32ACP
An utter pain in the arse to use, and similarly piss poor accuracy.

As for SIA - just wanted some parts to let me eventually convert a No.4 shotgun into a .45ACP bolt action for indoor/gallery range use
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He made some cool stuff. I wish I would have grabbed a Novem or had one built. Don’t really need it but thought they were cool
View Quote

Sorry for the late reply to this. If you are interested in a Novem type rifle without all of the hassles, American Manufacturing can build one. You would just need to supple the rifle. According to his website, they run $395 plus return shipping. I have had dealings with Mike in the past, and he is as fast as Special Interest Arms was slow. You can call him to get the latest update (636) 439-3824.

Quote from website:

9mm Bolt action Rifle

We offer a custom built 9mm bolt action rifle, these make one of the best suppressor platforms I've ever used in 9mm, especially with subsonic ammunition like Hush. With one of our suppressors they are amazingly quiet and test at 118dB with subsonic ammo. They come standard with a 16" barrel threaded 1/2x28 with a fitted thread cap and barrel lengths are available up to 20" but will add to the cost so ask about that if it's something you want. The host rifles have been difficult to come by these days but we can do the conversion on your rifle if you have one. The complete conversion service runs 395.00 plus return shipping on your rifle. This service includes a new barrel that's fitted, chambered, headspaced and threaded 1/2x28 with a thread cap, all necessary conversion work done to the action and finished in the KG Gunkote color of your choice. Drop us a line with any questions. We also offer an integrated suppressed version of this rifle, this means that the suppressor is a permanent part of the rifle and integrated into the barrel. This conversion runs 575.00.

American Manufacturing Co. Shop Services page.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks nice - have you used it much?
snip-

As for SIA - just wanted some parts to let me eventually convert a No.4 shotgun into a .45ACP bolt action for indoor/gallery range use
View Quote

I haven't used it too much, but every time I pick it up, it puts a smile on my face. My accuracy is better than the one you shot. The SIA DeLisles  have a different baffle setup than the originals. It is REALLY quiet, there is a lot of volume to absorb the gas. Like I mentioned earlier, SIA did incredible work, "but the juice wasn't worth the squeeze". It was not cheap, and the wait was tooooooo looong. Though I don't think I would ever sell it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mobjack

Below is a picture of my gun. (or not)

http://i.imgur.com/VwJCQ7ol.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/VwJCQ7ol.jpg
View Quote

@Mobjack

I had a very similar experience with him shortly before he closed shop. I had sent him parts and payment for a No.4 to be turned into a suppressed “Tanker Carbine” as he put it, and he did the same thing to me. Gave tons of excuses about being sick, being backlogged, machines breaking, forclosures, just about any BS excuse you could think of. In the meantime when all of these “issues” were going on, he sold several of the kits i was having made on Gunbroker. He refused to give me a refund or return my parts. I finally got my a refund for the work and parts, but only after consulting litigation towards him.

I was pretty bummed i was never gonna have my little .45 Enfield, but thankfully Rhineland Arms started doing their conversions again, and at almost half what Richard was asking. That, and they’re also a legitimate company with more than a single person running the show.

Im now in the market for an De Lisle, any chance you happen to know who else may have the competence to build one?
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He took the kit you sent him to build into a gun, took your money, and then listed the kit on Gunbroker???  Holy crap....

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Basically. I sent him various surplus parts needed for the .45 conversion (sans receiver) like the bolt head, extractor, barrel bands, front sight bases, etc. He never delivered the kit i ordered, never returned the parts, and in the mean time, sold several .45 conversions on GB, while saying that he had none and it would take much longer to complete mine. I dont believe he used any parts i sent for any of those conversions, as the parts i sent were to be used for the upgraded extractor kit and Tanker front sight relocation. He had nothing to say on the subject when i showed him the screenshots of the auctions with his name on it

If i had sent a receiver, i dont think i’d have ever seen it again, and i’d have been livid. Im glad i didnt
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

IF at some stage I go down the DeLisle route, it will HAVE to be a modernised version
First shot a DeLisle about 30 years ago - a UK repro from the Walter Gun Co
At 25-yards it grouped about 3 feet or so for 5 shots; my thoughts to this, from looking into the design features, are that having the bullets pass through a rubber wipe/baffle tends to veer them off the straight and narrow.
View Quote

I know this is an older topic, but I noticed this and wanted to reply.

If you have bullet deflection that serious, you are getting baffle or endcap strikes.  And not due to wipes because there should be none in there.  The Delisle never used wipes.

Or, whoever owned the gun tried to put some wipes in it and thus, as you noticed, was a serious mistake to have done so.  I have shot my 9x39 integral at 75 yards off hand with a wipe and can ring a gong without the wipe affecting accuracy enough at that distance to cause a miss.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know this is an older topic, but I noticed this and wanted to reply.

If you have bullet deflection that serious, you are getting baffle or endcap strikes.  And not due to wipes because there should be none in there.  The Delisle never used wipes.

Or, whoever owned the gun tried to put some wipes in it and thus, as you noticed, was a serious mistake to have done so.  I have shot my 9x39 integral at 75 yards off hand with a wipe and can ring a gong without the wipe affecting accuracy enough at that distance to cause a miss.
View Quote

I'd need to check the reference books I have here, as I'm 100% sure that the original design did have a rubber wipe just inside the muzzle.
May be wrong though - but I tend to remember small details like that

I also used to shoot with a relative of the designer, but that was a few decades ago now
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I have never found a single (verifiable) source that references a wipe for that gun.  Whether in the patent information, or with any of the museums that house the last majority of the remaining surviving examples.  

Whether someone made a repro and incorporated them or not, I don't know, because anything is possible there, but the originals didn't.  

The most prolific gun that used wipes during that time period was the welrod.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a company in the I’m doing beautiful DeLisle carbines , I think it is Shandwick Manufacturing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is a company in the I’m doing beautiful DeLisle carbines , I think it is Shandwick Manufacturing.
View Quote

I am confused by the "I’m doing beautiful DeLisle carbines" statement, can you elaborate on it? Is Shandwick Manufacturing an American company? I have been following the DeLisle carbines for quite a while, I have never heard of them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't believe so.  There are more people making them in UK than in the US.

I'm making my own.  Having to build much of it forward of the trigger by hand.

I am cheating a little and using a Rhineland 45acp and mag adapter though.

Still waiting on Uncle Sugars signature to finish it, but I have a very good start on the project.  Or, at least what I'm legally allowed to do (modify wood forestock, make the front handguard, fabricate front sights, modify rear sight assembly, shorten and thread and port the new barrel, remove the old 303 barrel, etc.)

There is a surprising amount of work that has been going into making it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#20]
A gunshop near me made a few

I think he was selling them for around £5K a time (GBP currency)
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Holy excuses Batman!

I bought a novem 9 off him - one with the short barrel and cup for suppressor keeping it a non NFA gun. Took seven months to get it. If Richard worked half as hard building guns as making up excuses he'd be one hell of a smith. He got the flu twice during my build. Its a great little suppressor host and he does good work but it is unfortunate the amount of BS it takes to get a gun from him
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is a picture of my 9mm "Novem" type rifle. !6" barrel, with a Bowers Vers 9S suppressor. It was done quickly by American Man., as I posted earlier." />
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am confused by the "I’m doing beautiful DeLisle carbines" statement, can you elaborate on it? Is Shandwick Manufacturing an American company? I have been following the DeLisle carbines for quite a while, I have never heard of them.
View Quote

Sorry the I’m was supposed to me as is ,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top