Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2018 2:06:01 PM EDT
Hello my 2 guns for next year are the Scorion evo and I am on the fence about it, so your input is greatly needed. What do you like and dislike. What my plan is  to add a BFS trigger pack to it and SBR it. But I know NOTHING about this platform!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
For starters, it's a well made gun and covered by a good warranty and company. Compared to other carbines, it has a competitive marketing price and is backed by a great aftermarket and OEM support. OEM parts and available directly from CZ and though some parts have a wait time which is normal. The amount of aftermarket support means you can make it your own. Most people end up switching out the grips for something a little more comfortable and will change out the safeties to suit their tastes. The stock options out there are numerous from OEM to adapters for numerous other folding stocks. There are also a few sources for replacement barrels that are shorter and have integral three lugs.

There was an issue of magazine feed lips cracking very on, but that has been resolved with the newer magazines although it seems some people still have older magazines that have held out this long. The new black windowed magazines from CZ are amazing, and Prepper gunshop and a company called F5 manufacturing make magazines with steel feed lips and drum magazines, respectively.

I got my pistol through a user here, who I also believe got it used. I think right now it has a collective six thousand or so rounds through it. I have shot mine suppressed since the day I got it primarily running my 147 grain cast reloads and 147 HSTs. The only issues I have with mine was when I was initially developing my reloads, I had to adjust the powder charge weight to get it to run in the CZ. For a blowback pistol it is pretty nice to suppress, but it will not be as quiet at the ear compared to the CMMG guard 9mm or a MP5. I have shot mine with my reloads indoors and it was pleasant to me, about on par with my 8" 300 blackout with subs.

Perhaps the best accessory I did to mine was the HB springs and having Shooters Element out of Arizona polish the trigger pack. It dropped the trigger weight on mine from about seven and a half pounds down to a smooth four pounds with a nice clean break. On the CZ scorpion owners group on facebook, a guy posted about putting the HBI springs in the BFS trigger. The owner of Shooters Element chimed in that he had done a trigger polish on one before with good results.

obligatory picture of mine. I have a factory stock on the way that I will be getting a tail hook kit for to replace the SB tactical brace.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two Evos (1 pistol, one rifle carbine).  I love both.  For the pistol, you want to look into the awesome new SB Tactical retractible brace that just hit the market this month.

For upgrades, the factory trigger is heavy, but I haven't done anything to my trigger yet as I have an earlier one that has the welded "World Trigger" in it, and I don't feel like having it drilled out.

I put extended charging handles on both of mine as the one that it comes with is a little short for my liking.

The gun is excellent, has similar charging mechanism to an MP5, and has a lot of great aftermarket parts available for it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Biggest complains are/were:
- cracked mags, issue solved with aftermarket & new CZ mags
- heavy smg style trigger, easily solved with HBI springs kit

Everything else is fine out of the box.. its a solid and reliable platform.
A good amount of aftermarket parts and accessories are available.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have two Evos (1 pistol, one rifle carbine).  I love both.  For the pistol, you want to look into the awesome new SB Tactical retractible brace that just hit the market this month.

For upgrades, the factory trigger is heavy, but I haven't done anything to my trigger yet as I have an earlier one that has the welded "World Trigger" in it, and I don't feel like having it drilled out.

I put extended charging handles on both of mine as the one that it comes with is a little short for my liking.

The gun is excellent, has similar charging mechanism to an MP5, and has a lot of great aftermarket parts available for it.
View Quote
drilling out that screw isn't hard at all. The guys at Shooters element will even take it out for you if you get it polished
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you so much my friends you have all helped out! and nudged me in the right direction, I think I will be getting myself one for X-Mas. not to decide on the color.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I was wondering the same thing.  I decided to order one.  Should have it sometime next month.  Just trying to decide what mods to get done.  The springs and the right side safety blank plate sounds like all I will need.

Now to start picking up a few more things like a case and sling,
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It has been one of my  favorite all around fun guns for the last two or three years. New shooters love the thing and the only thing I did was add a red dot, KAK Blade , and shave the safety down on the right side. I have never had a mag crack , at least not yet, and have pounded 3k + rounds of mostly brown bear through it with no issues. Only negative once you fix the safety is the trigger.

Buy one and have fun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Love mine. It is a nice small package that fits in a backpack. I did the trigger spring and polish myself as well as shaving down the safety. I added the Tailhook, grip, and MI rail. I went with a Holosun shake awake red dot because of cost as well as when I pick it up the red dot comes on.
The other modifications I’d like to make are AK safety, flipper mag release, and extended charging handle.
The mags are relatively inexpensive and I’ve had no issues. PSA is now making 35rd mags with metal inserts in the feed lips. I have yet to be able to purchase any for testing.
I pretty much have to agree with all the information in the previous posts.
It is also a pretty damn accurate weapon as well.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I love PCC's and have over a dozen.  I was super excited when it came out, but ultimately sold it.  It just feels cheap.  No functional issues or the like, is just feels like eastern European trash.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
The Scorpion works.  They are popular.  Popular gets accessories.  Even Magpul is getting involved (so far a grip).   There are several brace / stock options.  The Scorpion is modular.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#11]
To what jsha22lr had mentioned...

100% if you're going to get a evo 3 s1 get the black windowed magazines. The others don't properly eject and have durability issues.

The black windowed magazines look amazing, feel amazing, feel sturdy and properly eject.

For reference, I got this one
https://czcustom.com/cz-scorpion-9mm-black-textured.html
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

100% if you're going to get a evo 3 s1 get the black windowed magazines. The others don't properly eject and have durability issues.

The black windowed magazines look amazing, feel amazing, feel sturdy and properly eject.

View Quote
This. I have three windowed and they eject very well, followed by the PGS/manticore mags. Stack up on a few of those if there are every any deals, or get one every paycheck. They are worth it. Kinda like the mags of the CZ world.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
FWIW I had to send back 4 of the the new black/windowed factory mags because I got FTF with every single one of them. They seated and ejected properly but just didn't cycle rounds in my gun. The original factory mags work fine. I believe that they reduced the spring tension on the new mags to alleviate the feed lip cracking issue, and because of this they may not work in some guns. Just something to be aware of, and YMMV.

I have never had any of my factory mags crack though, so this isn't a big deal. I'll just keep running the originals, they're cheaper and they work fine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Possibly unpopular opinion:

The Scorpion Evo is a good value, but only if you buy it and don't dick with it too much.   All the selectors, trigger stuff, etc, all adds up to the point where you could have just bought an MP5 clone or a B&T and had a much nicer overall platform (in terms of "oh this is nice", rather than function, roller locking aside).    If you want to drop extra money, buy a pile of mags after you shoot it and decide you like it.

The extended charging handles might be in order to clear gizmos or if you have giant truckasaurus hands - HBI pro stock version is nice.    The various Mlok rail options can help you fit low light gizmos on.   Other than that, don't go nuts if your entire point in getting it is a cost effective PCC.

They're great firearms.  As far as I can tell, they're zeroed from the factory; you take them out of the box and shoot them.   The staple gun trigger won't matter, and the safety won't dig into your hands if you don't choke up on the OEM pistol grip.

Shoot it stock and see what you actually need to do to it, if anything.   The things just work.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I really love mine. Pistol version with SB B&T brace and recently added the Franklin Binary Trigger.  TRS-25 red dot,  I've had it two years.  This gun has nearly eliminated my desire for an MP-5   Its just that great.

-Its 100% reliable. Runs cheap bulk ammo, HP and subsonic fine
-Mags are cheap and reliable - I've run both styles of factory mags, no problems with any, but I haven't abused them either.
-Significant and growing aftermarket support - You can keep up with fashion and change the look (braces, triggers, grips, body parts,etc.)
-Price of entry is reasonable.  It costs less than half of MP5 clone
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

FWIW I had to send back 4 of the the new black/windowed factory mags because I got FTF with every single one of them. They seated and ejected properly but just didn't cycle rounds in my gun. The original factory mags work fine. I believe that they reduced the spring tension on the new mags to alleviate the feed lip cracking issue, and because of this they may not work in some guns. Just something to be aware of, and YMMV.

I have never had any of my factory mags crack though, so this isn't a big deal. I'll just keep running the originals, they're cheaper and they work fine.
View Quote
Thanks for the info I did not know about this.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#17]
How much do you like the BFS in your evo?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#18]
It's not a bad gun for the money, but the hammer craps out after ~15k rounds. The hammer beats itself do death because it's too soft/junky followed by failures to fire. CZ does nothing about it. The full auto ones made for the European LE market do not have this problem as they come with an much more durable hammer. Mags are crappy as hell. Trigger pull is ridiculously heavy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's not a bad gun for the money, but the hammer craps out after ~15k rounds. The hammer beats itself do death because it's too soft/junky followed by failures to fire. CZ does nothing about it. The full auto ones made for the European LE market do not have this problem as they come with an much more durable hammer. Mags are crappy as hell. Trigger pull is ridiculously heavy.
View Quote
So your personal Scorpion had this hammer issue?

You had mag issues and tried the metal feed lip versions from Manticore?

Did you install the $9 springs from HBI to see how much they helped the trigger pull? What about the fairly priced trigger polish job that ShootersElement offers?

Please feel free to elaborate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
@702Wolfi

Please show a picture of your hammer. I'd be interested in seeing the damage.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@702Wolfi

Please show a picture of your hammer. I'd be interested in seeing the damage.
View Quote
It wasn't mine. I know someone who owns a tourist gun range (Not Battlefield Vegas). They have two semi auto Evo's on the line. One had 15k rounds through when it started having failure to fire on almost every round. After closer inspection, they noticed a pretty deep dent in the hammer which was caused by the firing pin. The second one a had less rounds through it but it looked just as bad. The whole hammer was chewed up badly from the bolt carrier. CZ sent him a couple of hammers to replace. The same range uses two 9mm semi auto Vectors with about the same round count and have always been trouble free for them.

My FDE Scorpion has only a few hundred rounds through it, but the hammer already shows some wear that I have never seen on any other firearm. My 30 rounder feed lips cracked, even though I had them only loaded with 25 rounds. because I knew they will crack if fully loaded. Plastic is a great material, but it can't take pressure at all over time, which is typical for plastics.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hello my 2 guns for next year are the Scorion evo and I am on the fence about it, so your input is greatly needed. What do you like and dislike. What my plan is  to add a BFS trigger pack to it and SBR it. But I know NOTHING about this platform!
View Quote
I did the exact same thing. Purchased with a pistol grip installed, since removed. Hands down beats my Zenith Z-5P MKE, also the Franklin Armory BFS runs better with the CZ than the mp5. I have some videos on my playlist

Zenith Z-5P MK3
Franklin Armory HK-C1 / HK Binary Trigger Range Test

CZ Scorpion Evo S3 - Controlled Bursts
FRANKLIN ARMORY BFSIII™ CZ-C1 First Test Fire - Bursts

CZ Scorpion Evo S3 - Mag Dumps
FRANKLIN ARMORY BFSIII™ CZ-C1 First Test Fire - Mag Dumps
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:42:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I compared our A1 hammer face and the ramp in the bolt to a couple S1 EVO's tonight and they all look very similar. I think dude is blowing the hammer issue way out of proportion. And replacing FCG parts after 15k+ rounds isn't that difficult.

Out of the many dozens of EVOs I've worked on this year zero have had hammer issues causing failure to fire.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Skip the cheeze baller trigger and put the money towards a suppressor.
Also, make sure you mount a decent optic.

It's still a dumb blowback gun, but ergos are perfect, reliability is perfect, weapon is accurate... LRBHO... and the value?
Just an absolute out-of-the-park home run.

(And I am officially the ten millionth person to post that on the world-wide-web... YAY!)
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine is an early model withbthe odd barrel threads and required some adapter for my hybrid.

Lots of sharp edges.

Kind if boring to shoot for some reason.  I like a little more kick.

Charging handle is small.

I bought as a pistol and SBR’d it.

I also dislike the sling attachment points.

The factory stock is not that comfy.  Not enough adjustment points if you’re used to AR stocks.  I hate that it has to be closed to latch to the side but I love the way they used a magnet to do it.

FO on it, all should have one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Skip the binary and get it polished by shooters element. It's like going from a 8 pound mil spec to a ALG ACT with a purple spring. Best upgrade sans suppressor I think
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Skip the binary and get it polished by shooters element. It's like going from a 8 pound mil spec to a ALG ACT with a purple spring. Best upgrade sans suppressor I think
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you tried the Franklin BFS on the CZ? At least try it before recommending against it, I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ve had the carbine for a while now, and recently picked up a pistol to SBR.  Fine guns for the price, but need a few things.  IMHO, the following upgrades are probably the minimum:

- Larger charging handle (I’m using HBI)
- Lighter trigger (HBI spring kit)
- Right side safety delete, or change out ( I’m using the GHW reverse safety)

On the carbine I also went for the HBI duckbill mag release, but don’t know if I’ll do it on the pistol.

I haven’t had any problem with the original transparent mags, so never got any of the black windowed mags.  I’ve heard of problems with the black windowed mags, plus I’m not sure they are 922r compliant, like the transparent 30s are.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Love mine.  Adding a bunch of HBi parts, yetiworks grip, tailhook brace and Sig Romeo makes it one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I enjoy my Evo, but if l was in your shoes today l would get the CMMG guard or banshee. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Have had no problems with factory clear or factory black windowed mags.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Have you tried the Franklin BFS on the CZ? At least try it before recommending against it, I love mine.
View Quote
In a CZ scorpion no, in a AR-15 yes. I just place a higher priority on suppressors than a CZ specific binary trigger since a 9mm or 45 suppressor has more applications then said trigger. I have nothing against binary triggers, they are fun as shit. If I hadn't have bought an English Golden retriever I would have gotten myself one for Christmas this year. I just think putting the $500 dollars that the trigger cost and putting $50 towards the trigger polish and the other $450 towards a suppressor would be a better investment in the long run for a first time buyer.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In a CZ scorpion no, in a AR-15 yes. I just place a higher priority on suppressors than a CZ specific binary trigger since a 9mm or 45 suppressor has more applications then said trigger. I have nothing against binary triggers, they are fun as shit. If I hadn't have bought an English Golden retriever I would have gotten myself one for Christmas this year. I just think putting the $500 dollars that the trigger cost and putting $50 towards the trigger polish and the other $450 towards a suppressor would be a better investment in the long run for a first time buyer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each their own, I see them as a useful tool at this point and not as much as a range toy anymore. I was honestly surprised with the combo on the CZ scorpion evo though, I grabbed another 20ish -  32 round manticore arms magazines and now its part of my car EDC. After testing the hell of the bfs on the cz platform, hands down I can say it will run as long as I keep feeding it. Over 5000 rounds of lacquered 9mm wolf and not a single ftf. The BFS on the AR platform for me was hit or miss, and my fostech echo's rule the day when I compare them side by side in non subgun calibers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

...useful tool... car EDC... bfs on the cz platform... lacquered 9mm wolf... BFS on the AR... fostech echo's rule...
View Quote
Whoa, dude.

Just... whoa...
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Whoa, dude.

Just... whoa...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...useful tool... car EDC... bfs on the cz platform... lacquered 9mm wolf... BFS on the AR... fostech echo's rule...
Whoa, dude.

Just... whoa...
Since you put it like that. I’m happy with them

BFS for subguns
Fostech Echo for 5.56/7.62x39/308
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

To each their own, I see them as a useful tool at this point and not as much as a range toy anymore. I was honestly surprised with the combo on the CZ scorpion evo though, I grabbed another 20ish -  32 round manticore arms magazines and now its part of my car EDC. After testing the hell of the bfs on the cz platform, hands down I can say it will run as long as I keep feeding it. Over 5000 rounds of lacquered 9mm wolf and not a single ftf. The BFS on the AR platform for me was hit or miss, and my fostech echo's rule the day when I compare them side by side in non subgun calibers.
View Quote
I would think for a car gun you'd want a suppressor, wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waiting on stamp, I should have been a little more clear. I always have a rifle and subgun in my trunk, plate carrier, etc. I normally carry my pistol on me. Trunk is the last place I would go to for a weapon. My old load out included my zenith with 6 30 round mags, and has been replaced with the cz scorpion and 9 32 round mags. They are loaded up with Hornady Critical Duty Ammunition 135gr ammo. My peltors are wrapped around the hand guards of cz.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm happy with mine. Trigger is a tad heavy but it shoots well

Considering the BFS trigger for it as wel

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Waiting on stamp, I should have been a little more clear. I always have a rifle and subgun in my trunk, plate carrier, etc. I normally carry my pistol on me. Trunk is the last place I would go to for a weapon. My old load out included my zenith with 6 30 round mags, and has been replaced with the cz scorpion and 9 32 round mags. They are loaded up with Hornady Critical Duty Ammunition 135gr ammo. My peltors are wrapped around the hand guards of cz.
View Quote
It's probably an old statistic, but something like a quarter of all auto accidents are rear end collisions. I keep a pair of ear pro with me, but with the exception of my carry gun, whatever I have in my truck with me has a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's probably an old statistic, but something like a quarter of all auto accidents are rear end collisions. I keep a pair of ear pro with me, but with the exception of my carry gun, whatever I have in my truck with me has a suppressor on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I have coming

https://www.innovativearms.com/portfolio/scor-integral-cz-scorpion/

Im not that worried about getting hit in the rear, I can access my trunk from inside the car. Worst case I always will have my handgun on me.

Innovative Arms Integrally Silenced CZ Scorpion EVO
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's probably an old statistic, but something like a quarter of all auto accidents are rear end collisions.
I keep a pair of ear pro with me, but with the exception of my carry gun, whatever I have in my truck with me has a suppressor on it.
View Quote
It's an old statistic but a very valid one. I was stopped on the I-75/85 bottle neck in traffic when a Full Blown Retard plowed into my Jeep at over 40MPH... the tard was in a Chevy 2500 loaded down with ductile iron pipe, sprinkler heads, etc... Hit me so hard I couldn't tell the cop my middle name when asked. I had to think about it. That was my second rear ending. Same thing happened to my wife when stopped on a surface street. We keep nothing of value in the cargo spaces of our SUV's now... because when stopped in traffic or at a red light you are at the mercy of common retards! YMMV...

To the OP, I have had my Scorpion for 2 weeks and put 500 rounds thru it on Friday in a 2.5hour range session. Right away after getting it home I knew both the right & left side safety had to go, the mag release needed a Duckbill, and the charging handle needed to be bigger. For less than $100 and 20minutes of time all those were remedied with parts from HB-Industries and the shipping was fast. This Scorpion has just replaced our/my Home Defense 10.5" AR as the Primary HD gun after Friday's trigger time and a few small upgrades. I can see me getting a short suppressor for it in the future.

The CZ Scorpion is well thought out, balanced, compact, durable, and sewing machine reliable from all the reviews I've seen and my own short time/experience with my own Scorpion & with a wide variety of ammo. I plan spending a lot more time with this CZ!!!

This is now our secondary HD gun of which I love so it says a lot of how I feel about the Scorpion. Looking for a new foam backing to cut out for the Scorpion and 32 Round Mags now.

"Wall Art...pic(s)..." Please excuse the messy wiring/Uverse/Speaker combo... Our house is under reconstruction after a 30K pound white oak hit our home!

New Scorpion...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top