Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2018 9:00:22 PM EDT
I recently have a chance to purchase a 70's model 1894 in .44 magnum. It is a straight stock, JM marked and pre-crossbolt safety. The metal is in very good condition, but the wood has some scratches and dings. My question is what's a fair price for it. Sorry I couldn't get pics.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Barrel length? Round or octagonal? I believe the "cowboy limited" models with the 24 inch octagonal barrels are the ones that bring the most money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the bore - if it is a mirco-groove you will have to stick with jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the bore - if it is a mirco-groove you will have to stick with jacketed bullets.
View Quote
@ProfGAB101 sorry but this is wrong.  People continue to regurgitate this nonsense but there is no truth to this.  I shoot cast in my microgroove barrels and they shoot as well as my guns with Ballard rifling.  The key is to make sure the bullet is sized correctly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
round barrel, good bore, 20 inches long.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
2 to 3 hundred. Wouldn't pay any more than that, no matter what any JM zealot says.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I respectfully disagree based on personal experience with cast in at least eight micro-groove barreled Marlins.

This is right up there with the no cast in Glocks and manufacturer warnings about using factory only ammo in their firearms.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
2 to 3 hundred. Wouldn't pay any more than that, no matter what any JM zealot says.
View Quote
$200 to $300 for a pre-safety Marlin 1894 in good condition? Please tell me where you are finding these so I can buy them.

OP: I might offer $500 and go up some if I wanted it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO......there is no need to be afraid of the Marlin micro groove barrel.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin-MicroGroove.htm  

Aloha, Mark

PS....I'd want a .44 Mag Marlin all day long. IF, I could find a good one at $200-$300.   Around here, $500 and up, would be more likely.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
@JDCOOLCELTIC I would love to see where you are finding them for this much.  Oh wait I'm sure you can't.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IMHO......there is no need to be afraid of the Marlin micro groove barrel.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin-MicroGroove.htm  

Aloha, Mark

PS....I'd want a .44 Mag Marlin all day long. IF, I could find a good one at $200-$300.   Around here, $500 and up, would be more likely.
View Quote
I have only stated what they are worth. What people are stupid enough to pay for them is another matter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#11]
It looks like a new one is ~$500.  I'd say that a good JM is worth that (they don't make them anymore)

I'd try to get it for 400, and spring the 500 if necessary if I wanted one.
(I already have one)
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Marlin says a new one is MSRP or $789. Street price is around $600. Are you going to write them and tell them they are overpriced?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have only stated what they are worth. What people are stupid enough to pay for them is another matter.
View Quote
This has to be one of the stupidest post ever in a tech forum. Maybe guns aren't for you
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I would think $400-500 in good clean shape would be a good deal. New ones of questionable quality are $600+ and even new Rossi 92s are $500+ if you can find them. I think I paid around $300 for my 70s 1894 .44 Mag a few years ago and I thought it was a deal then. Would pay at least $400 for it and it’s just a fun gun I have no real need for.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

$200 to $300 for a pre-safety Marlin 1894 in good condition? Please tell me where you are finding these so I can buy them.

OP: I might offer $500 and go up some if I wanted it.
View Quote
I saw one here yesterday for $700.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted for posterior-ity

I traded a Glock21 and a case of Golden Tiger X39 for a 16" barrel JM. Year 2000. Paid $400 for the Glock. $170 for the ammo

Oh, its a ported barrel
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Many folks will decide what they might limit themselves to for a particular gun and that is fine with me but that doesn't really have a whole lot to do with average value on the street for that same firearm.

In most markets a JM marlin in 44 Mag is considered a nice ,desirable gun in limited supply. In the stated condition of decent metal with wear on the wood I believe a friends price would be $350+ and in a gunshop you might expect to pay $450 +. Add $50 to $100 with better wood .

Reports claim the current production Marlins are not horrible guns but all I have seen have disappointing workmanship . Guns built during the transition from North haven to wherever they are built are horrible on several levels and to be avoided .
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I suspect that to a large degree there is a premium that some people are willing to pay for actually levering and inspecting a firearm up close (in this case a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag).

In other words......look at the internet offerings.  Nice pictures.  BUT, can you feel the lever action and/or trigger pull through a picture?   Once it arrives at your FFL and he logs it into his book and gives you a phone call, what's next?   You run down to the FFL's and the first thing you do when he hands you the firearm is to probably inspect it.    Real close.   Check that it's empty, look at the wood to metal fit, metal finish, tooling marks, wear if it's used.....lever that action (maybe dry fire it).   Whatever/however way that you like to do this inspection process.

IF you're the picky sort of guy, maybe you'll determine that it's "no good".   OK, you have that 3 day non-firing inspection period.

So......

Who will be paying the fee to your FFL.....he has it logged into his books.  He did some work.  Isn't he entitled to his labor cost?

If you send it back......you (I suspect) will be responsible for the shipping cost.

When it arrives back at the seller's FFL.  The seller's FFL will log it in.  So, will you be charged for that process too?

Course......it might be debatable about IF in fact you have a legitimate gripe in the first place.   Are you a picky person?

OK, OK, ok.  So what I'm pointing to, is the fact that.......

IF you buy locally.....at least you get to inspect it, before you put your money down on the counter.   IMHO, that is worth something.   Maybe......a premium.....$25, $50, whatever.

So you thought that you saved money by making the purchase via the internet?  Maybe the risk was worth it, maybe not?   Whatever.

Not to mention that certain internet auctions are known to be.......NOT CHEAP.  Rather, they have a reputation for asking for "crazy prices".

If you're determined to find that Marlin 1894 .44 Mag at $200 - $300.....well, Good Luck.

Aloha, Mark

PS....prices tend to be regional and of course dependent on the circumstances of the seller.  Everything is not universal......despite being in this internet age.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#19]
JM Marlin 1894s are 650-850 here all day. Believe a pre-safety would be worth a little more. There is also a premium on the 357 offerings. 44 and 45lc seem to be towards the bottom of the range.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I paid 550 for my jm marked pre safety 44 mag and the same for a .357 6 years ago, I am very happy with both.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#21]
FYI.....Sportsman Warehouse just had an ad out for the NEW Remlin .44 mag lever action for $699.99 w/20" octagon barrel.

Me.....I'd be more interested in the used "genuine Marlin" at around $500.  Even with the round barrel.  IMHO, it swings better. And of course, paying less is better for my budget.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#23]
$350??
You guys are dreaming, JM's regulary sell for 2x that & more, Here is one listed on the EE last month , asking price was $850.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Clever
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Free market decides the price!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I use 200 grain cast leads in my 1894S with very good results. I had heard that line for quite some time and thought I would find out for myself.
My rifle has micro-groove and is a great shooter. I've had a bunch of people try to buy it after shooting it and seeing I was using commercially available cast leads for my loading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top