Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2017 3:19:45 AM EDT
Thinking about having the Brush Hog package done but man... that is spendy. Anyone have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
No experience with them but I emailed Lew Bonitz last year about building a Marlin SBR in 357 magnum.  He turned me down saying he had decided to focus on his own models instead.  Funny thing is a few months later he emailed me saying he would take the work but I had moved on at that point.  

Wild West Guns also builds SBRs for a lot less money than Grizzly.  I would recommend Ranger Point Precision but don't think they hold a Class 3 FFL, at least they didn't last year when I was talking to them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#2]
For me it would depend on how often I planned on using it.

Are you a guide that would use it all the time?

Do you just want to use it occasionally for fun?

Do you just have a ton of money to burn?

I would like one too, but I could never justify the cost if it was going to be in my safe 99.9% of the time.

If you get it, please post pics!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll let you guys know when mine comes back, hopefully before hunting season starts.

I'm pretty much going to have one lever gun so I figured all the mods I wanted to get done should get done by a professional.  I really like the look of his rifles and from what I've read, his work top notch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#4]
What is it you like about the package?

You can send your gun off and have a chopped and threaded barrel for less than $200. A diy smoothed action can be done with a set of stones and some Fitz. DRC sights, XS rail, sling, and lever can be bolted on without much trouble.

I'm pretty sure there is a place you can send your stock of to get the correct LOP.

On the high side you can have a close example for $1100 excluding LOP, but including the rifle (if purchased recently using the rebate).
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that is very expensive.  I shortened my guide guns barrel, added an extended magazine tube and mounted a Wild West guns Scout scope mount for less than $200.  I used a drill press, a hacksaw and a couple special files.  If your action is rough, lube it and use it.  It will smooth out.  I've shot the rifle a lot and am really happy with it
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello all, got my rifle back today.  It is as smooth as silk when loading, cocking and pulling the trigger.  

If you have the $, I recommend it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice! Now we need a range report.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Only thing I didn’t like about em was the “blast and blue” finish.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Took her out today for sight in and didn’t need to make an adjustment.  At 25 yards I was grouping less than an inch standing (sorry range was hot when I left, left my target up).  I was nailing the 6” steel plates at 100 yards five out of six times standing.  Clean break every time, I knew exactly when the hammer would fall.

I was in a bit of a rush and didn’t take my time to get exacts but for now minuet of deer is sufficient until the season is over.

Finish is ceracoat btw.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Took her out today for sight in and didn’t need to make an adjustment.  At 25 yards I was grouping less than an inch standing (sorry range was hot when I left, left my target up).  I was nailing the 6” steel plates at 100 yards five out of six times standing.  Clean break every time, I knew exactly when the hammer would fall.

I was in a bit of a rush and didn’t take my time to get exacts but for now minuet of deer is sufficient until the season is over.

Finish is ceracoat btw.
View Quote
@JPNY23
Which ceracoat color? Rifle looks great.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@JPNY23
Which ceracoat color? Rifle looks great.
View Quote
Thanks!  It’s flat black, though you can choose colors.
Top Top