Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 10:23:27 AM EDT
If one was to find a cheapish ragged out 20" Marlin 1894 in 44 mag could you find a 16" 1/20 twist octagon barrel? Do a barrel swap cut the magazine tube down and have the ultimate bush gun? Anyone here done such a project?

Thanks all
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Getting ready to do a 94. Going from 30-30 to 38-55.
The barrel may not index correctly when tightened. So a lathe may be needed to set the shoulder back. Headspace is the rim depth. That will need checked.
And as always. Pictures would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply I did a very quick cursory check but didnt come across any barrels like I am wanting...would I have to get a barrel blank and have it cut and crowned to the length I want? Any good manufacturers out there I should be looking at I was going to give Green mountain barrels a call next week and see if they can help me any others?  
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Getting ready to do a 94. Going from 30-30 to 38-55.
The barrel may not index correctly when tightened. So a lathe may be needed to set the shoulder back. Headspace is the rim depth. That will need checked.
And as always. Pictures would be nice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking at a factory take off. That will probably be your cheaper option. Green mountain is a good choice but will need threaded.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you Sir is there a good place to look for those barrels I think the one I want was never made a 16" octagonal barrel I think that would be the neatest project I have a 16" octagon barrel 1894 44 mag thanks again for the help have a great thanksgiving. ..
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking at a factory take off. That will probably be your cheaper option. Green mountain is a good choice but will need threaded.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd check ebay and gunbroker.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If the idea is to have the ultimate brush gun --- why go with the heaviest barrel profile available (octagon that is)  

---- probably easier to find a 20 or 24" octagon barrel and have that cut down --- cutting new dovetails for the sights and mag tube dovetail is a "bread n butter" job for most gunsmith's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top