Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2012 8:24:09 AM EDT
I came across a used Marlin 1894 .357 Mag at an out of state gun shop.      They don't have any photos posted, but they're saying it's used but LNIB.    It came in as a trade and they want $479 for it.  It's the standard blue model with wood stock and has Hi-Viz fiber optic sights.

The lady I spoke with didn't know much about the gun such as serial number, or year of mfg.   She did think it was a pre-Remington model.        Does anyone know if Marlin made any of the 1894's with Hi-Viz sights, or were they likely added by the previous owner?       Also, how does $479 sound for a price?      The lady says they're firm on their price, but it's a trade and I'm sure the previous owner sold it for significantly less than $479.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#1]
look to see if it has a JM marked barrel then you should be gtg if everything else looks good if it is pre remington then heck yes buy it if it is LNIB.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I came across a used Marlin 1894 .357 Mag at an out of state gun shop.      They don't have any photos posted, but they're saying it's used but LNIB.    It came in as a trade and they want $479 for it.  It's the standard blue model with wood stock and has Hi-Viz fiber optic sights.

The lady I spoke with didn't know much about the gun such as serial number, or year of mfg.   She did think it was a pre-Remington model.        Does anyone know if Marlin made any of the 1894's with Hi-Viz sights, or were they likely added by the previous owner?       Also, how does $479 sound for a price?      The lady says they're firm on their price, but it's a trade and I'm sure the previous owner sold it for significantly less than $479.

Remember the Marlin serial number code formula and how to tell if it's a real Marlin or a Rem-lin.  And always remember that cash talks.

Serial Number data
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_336

Marlin vs Remington information
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/55496-identifying-new-york-kentucky-marlins.html
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
$479 is a buy price even if in VG or better shape, let alone LNIB

Even w/o serial #, lack of crossbolt safety and non-checkered stock is an indicator of a non-Remlin JM stamped rifle.

Sounds like a great deal.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys!    I will see if they can email me some pics so I can better determine if this is a regular Marlin, or a Remlin.       I want the .357 Mag carbine, but I had the money set aside for a new SWR Spectre II and tax stamp.

Looks like I have a decision to make.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Even w/o serial #, lack of crossbolt safety and non-checkered stock is an indicator of a non-Remlin JM stamped rifle.

If it is an older Marlin of the pre-crossbolt era... the .357mag 1894 is one of the sweetest little rifles ever.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a local contact who will do some recon at the store for me today.       He will take photos, verify serial number and check for the JM on the left side of the barrel as well as the crossbolt safety and checkering on the stock.

Anybody know when they quit stamping the "JM" on the left side of the barrel?

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a local contact who will do some recon at the store for me today.       He will take photos, verify serial number and check for the JM on the left side of the barrel as well as the crossbolt safety and checkering on the stock.

There are some JM stamped Remlins out there... Guess the barrels were left over stock.  JM alone does not equal a pure Marlin.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Around 2010, but like the other poster said there was some overlap as they used up existing parts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some JM stamped Remlins out there... Guess the barrels were left over stock.  JM alone does not equal a pure Marlin.

I did not know this sorry for the bad info all I had seen stamped JM ended up checking out to be pre rem. So I ASSumed. Use the serial number info that is above that will give you all you need to know about the gun
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
UPDATE:   My local contact went to the store today and looked at the Marlin.... err, I mean Remlin.     Sadly, this gun is one of the transitional models.      The barrel is clearly marked "REP" on the right side just forward of the receiver.       The barrel is also marked "New Haven, Connecticut".        My contact checked the action and says it functions fine, but lacks the fit and finish/ smoothness of the lever actions he's used to.  

The stock had a few small dings, and there was a blemish on the stock near the barrel band that almost looked like glue or a sealant of some kind.     The store is absolutely firm at $479 plus $25.00 shipping.       I do have the serial number, but at this point I think I'm gonna pass since this gun is obviously a Remlin.

Any thoughts before I totally walk away from this?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I would pass too, unless I could give it a thorough inspection.  There is just too much junk from the Remlin plant.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would pass too, unless I could give it a thorough inspection.  There is just too much junk from the Remlin plant.

That.

I don't mind the Remlins so much (witnessed by the Remlin 1895 in my safe), but I'd want to have it in hand for an inspection before I laid my cash out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm in Northern Michigan, and the gunshop is somewhere in Kentucky.     A hands-on inspection just is not possible for me without actually buying/ shipping and doing the FFL transfer.     Guns get bought, sold and traded all the time, but this one scares me a bit after learning it's a Marlington.     I'm going to run... not walk away from this one!

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Northern Michigan, and the gunshop is somewhere in Kentucky.     A hands-on inspection just is not possible for me without actually buying/ shipping and doing the FFL transfer.     Guns get bought, sold and traded all the time, but this one scares me a bit after learning it's a Marlington.     I'm going to run... not walk away from this one!

Watch the Marlin Owners forum, a lot of Marlin lever guns get bought and sold thru that forum.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll do that... thanks for the info!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch the Marlin Owners forum, a lot of Marlin lever guns get bought and sold thru that forum.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top