Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2011 10:13:33 PM EDT
I bought this rifle new with no instructions.  I fired 50 rounds through her and have no idea how to dissasemble so I just started pulling screws per some interweb instructions and now it's just a mess.  Anyone have any ACCURATE dissasembly/ reassembly instructions for this thing?  I am at a total loss here.

TIA

––VT
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't need to take apart your rifle to clean it. I assume that is why you were disassembling it.

http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/rossi92.htm
That is an exploded drawing,

The Rossi 92
That should be what you need.

I hope you get it back together.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is a site that has a couple of links for the assembly and disassembly instructions of the Rossi 92 with diagrams and pics:

http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you like your rossi I am considering one as a shooter/trunk gun. Reveiws are mixed mostly on the bad from what I have seen. I want a .357 lever gun but will probably end up with a 30/30 cause of cost.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies fellas, I have it about 85% back together! What a bear!  I'm sure the next time (10K rounds from now) will be easier.

Quoted:
How do you like your rossi I am considering one as a shooter/trunk gun. Reveiws are mixed mostly on the bad from what I have seen. I want a .357 lever gun but will probably end up with a 30/30 cause of cost.

Well I only have 50 rds thru her, but so far I like it a lot, no failures or other issues (other than the difficulty factor in taking it apart/ putting it together).   I read a lot of mixed reviews too but for the most part it came out on top.  One thing I noticed is it doesn't like being treated gentle, you need to rip the lever open and closed and cycle those rounds like a MAN, man.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you've had it apart once, you can order a DVD from Steve Young on doing an action job.

If you do, go ahead and order three things while you're at it.

steel magazine follower
ejector spring
safety delete plug

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up a Rossi 92 in .44 magnum for Cowboy Action shooting.......so far I have only put 50 rounds through mine, but you are right, you have to work that action like you mean it!

Mine has a 24" octagon barrel and that muzzle heavy weight really helps to control the recoil. I do plan on getting Steve Young's video and removing the bolt safety, replacing the plastic magazine follower with a steel one and installing a new ejector spring......

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol...

You will learn to love it.

Pullin screws....lol. Don't loose any!

Lever gun took apurt
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just picked up a Rossi 92 in .44 magnum for Cowboy Action shooting.......so far I have only put 50 rounds through mine, but you are right, you have to work that action like you mean it!

Mine has a 24" octagon barrel and that muzzle heavy weight really helps to control the recoil. I do plan on getting Steve Young's video and removing the bolt safety, replacing the plastic magazine follower with a steel one and installing a new ejector spring......

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/Rossi92-2.jpg

Very nice!  I love those octagon barrels.

It makes a night and day difference.  I haven't done the work myself, but I do have a pair of Rossi's that have received Mr Young's magic touch.  The 357 was the roughest, stiffest Rossi I'd ever seen and now it's smooth as glass.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I love it, holy shiite I thought I was going to have to send her to TX for a re-put-together.

I do notice now that I had it stripped down, thoroughly cleaned and lubed up the action seems MUCH slicker.  I'll probably get the parts for the total slick-up job.  Thanks again all, whew!

I'm gonna shoot another couple hundred rounds through it tomorrow, it really is a ton of fun to shoot.

––VT
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 3:32:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a rossi 92 a couple years ago in 45 colt. octagon barrel and blue case harden in color.  When I saw it in the case at Bass pro I knew I had to have it.  Everyone is right they are rough to cycle out of the box and I was looking at maybe sending it to Steve for an action job.  But I kept on firing it and cycle the action and now it is pretty smooth. I still my look into doing the action work but it's OK for now.  My problee now is that curved butt stock. Yea it looks great but if you get away from cowboy loads and shoot some a little hotter my old shoulder starts giving me trouble. Been looking for some kind of pad but that curved stock makes it difficult. Have not found any thing that works. Ideas?  I even thought of getting another one in 454 because of the stock that comes on it. Still could shoot the 45 colt and it would go nice with my ruger super red hawk in 454.  that pair should be enough for any zombi up raising we get around here
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I picked up a rossi 92 a couple years ago in 45 colt. octagon barrel and blue case harden in color.  When I saw it in the case at Bass pro I knew I had to have it.  Everyone is right they are rough to cycle out of the box and I was looking at maybe sending it to Steve for an action job.  But I kept on firing it and cycle the action and now it is pretty smooth. I still my look into doing the action work but it's OK for now.  My problee now is that curved butt stock. Yea it looks great but if you get away from cowboy loads and shoot some a little hotter my old shoulder starts giving me trouble. Been looking for some kind of pad but that curved stock makes it difficult. Have not found any thing that works. Ideas?  I even thought of getting another one in 454 because of the stock that comes on it. Still could shoot the 45 colt and it would go nice with my ruger super red hawk in 454.  that pair should be enough for any zombi up raising we get around here

The main thing that Steve's action job does is lighten the springs, and there are several of them.  The things are rough from the factory and they overspring them to make them function.  Once they smooth out you don't need all the spring.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#12]
The Rossi 357s are addictive.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The hard part about getting a 92 back together is lining the hole in the lever cam up with the hole in the bolt, compressing the ejector into place, and then tapping in the retaining pin through the hole in the side of the receiver. (That's what that stubby litte screw on the left side is for.). A reduced power ejector spring and a dummy round or empty case hooked under the extractor makes it way easier to line everything up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The hard part about getting a 92 back together is lining the hole in the lever cam up with the hole in the bolt, compressing the ejector into place, and then tapping in the retaining pin through the hole in the side of the receiver. (That's what that stubby litte screw on the left side is for.). A reduced power ejector spring and a dummy round or empty case hooked under the extractor makes it way easier to line everything up.

Yes, thankfully I read somewhere about the spent cartridge, that definately helped a lot!

Thanks again for the help y'all!
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Steve reworked one of my Rossi's last year. There is a great deal of difference between the two. They are from the first batch to hit the states in the late 70s. Serial #s 1499 & 1500. He said most folks won't touch a 92. He calls it building a ship in a bottle. May have him do the other one some day....
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
OMG I want one of these I think I am gonna get a Rossi Model 92 Round BBL Large Loop Rifle R92-56006, 357 Remington Mag, Lever, 16 in, Walnut Stock, Blue Finish, 8 + 1 Rd. It looks so cowboy and I cannot wait to shoot the hell out of one then to get the headache to tear it apart. I love the challenges of these type of guns. I am hunting for the right deal on one. I can't wait maybe santa will give me one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm waiting for Buds to get back their 24 inch octagonal .357.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:19:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally posted by bfm1851
I picked up a Rossi 92 a couple years ago in 45 colt. octagon barrel and blue case harden in color. When I saw it in the case at Bass pro I knew I had to have it. Everyone is right they are rough to cycle out of the box and I was looking at maybe sending it to Steve for an action job. But I kept on firing it and cycle the action and now it is pretty smooth. I still my look into doing the action work but it's OK for now. My problem now is that curved butt stock. Yea it looks great but if you get away from cowboy loads and shoot some a little hotter my old shoulder starts giving me trouble. Been looking for some kind of pad but that curved stock makes it difficult. Have not found any thing that works. Ideas? I even thought of getting another one in 454 because of the stock that comes on it. Still could shoot the 45 colt and it would go nice with my Ruger super red hawk in 454. that pair should be enough for any zombie up raising we get around here

I have the Rossi 92 in 454/45LC.  I put a Cabela”s “Kick Killer Lace-Up Butt Pad” on it.  The pad is leather and looks right with the rifle.  Cabelas say:  
Protect your shooting shoulder with the most effective recoil absorber in the world: Akton® viscoelastic polymer. Both the recoil force and duration of peak impact are reduced to give you superior firearm control even during prolonged shooting sessions firing with hard-hitting rifles and shotguns. These butt pads feature a full 1/2" Akton® shield and a smooth surface that allows fast mounting with no snags. Lace-on leather cover creates a secure fit.

I think it does a great job.  It is only $34.99 on line.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#19]

My ranch hand in .357mag

It is sweet, but had a mechanical flaw. I had to mod the elevator.

Below is my stainless .44mag. Marbles bulls eye sights, with a .5 inch high brass bead front sight. Affections a mild word to describe how I like it.

I plugged the safety on both these. I still need to get the metal follower.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Steve reworked one of my Rossi's last year. There is a great deal of difference between the two. They are from the first batch to hit the states in the late 70s. Serial #s 1499 & 1500. He said most folks won't touch a 92. He calls it building a ship in a bottle. May have him do the other one some day....

Get his DVD and kit HERE for $58.40 and do it yourself.  I did both of mine when they were new and watching Steve's excellent DVD made the job a breeze.  Mine are newer so I also plugged the bolt safety.  I even did a neighbor's Rossi for him after he tried mine out at the range.  He couldn't believe the slicker action and better trigger the job produces.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy one! These things are as fun as .22's used to be when you were a kid! Plink, plink, plink all day...and you can hunt deer with 'em too!
I love mine.
I bought it, and a .357 Beretta Stampede at the same time thinking I'd be a cowboy of some sort...so far I've put about 1000 rounds through the Rossi, and about 24 through the Stampede, not that the Stampede isn't a fun revolver, it's just the Rossi seems to end up getting all the ammo and trigger time! It's really fun taking long range shots with it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#22]
One thing that I dont understand about these, is how the rifles ( i had one in 357) are some of the stiffest, roughest guns out there, yet, all the ranch hands ive played with are really slick.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#23]
How well does the blueing on these hold up compared to just getting a stainless I like the blued for classic look but the stainless looks good as well just curious as to wether or not there blue is decent enough to not be a rust magnet I actaully over clean my gun anyways so I know she would be oiled and clean but just curious any  input would help me in my future decision thanks guys good info I needed. My plan is to buy one directly from steve and have him do his action job all at once and add large loop lever as well. he has an 8 month back log but I can wait maybe.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One thing that I dont understand about these, is how the rifles ( i had one in 357) are some of the stiffest, roughest guns out there, yet, all the ranch hands ive played with are really slick.

Mine cycles like butter. It was a bit rough at first, but I just sat in front of the boob tube one evening cycling it over and over about 1000 times, dry, without any lube, and it RAPIDLY smoothed up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How well does the blueing on these hold up compared to just getting a stainless I like the blued for classic look but the stainless looks good as well just curious as to wether or not there blue is decent enough to not be a rust magnet I actaully over clean my gun anyways so I know she would be oiled and clean but just curious any  input would help me in my future decision thanks guys good info I needed. My plan is to buy one directly from steve and have him do his action job all at once and add large loop lever as well. he has an 8 month back log but I can wait maybe.

No issues so far, but mine is less than a year old.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top