Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2018 8:27:47 PM EDT
I found this big one on sale at Academy. I know it is probably the lowest end model. But for my needs right now and probably for the next 10-15 years, this safe should serve me well. The price seems right. Or should I save up some more $ and get something else?
Safe at Academy

My real question is... how do I get this 450lb safe from the store to my closet?
A strong ass dolly, a trailer, and two strong guys?
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
its only 450 pounds.  a dolly will do it and a buddy...  You dont need 2 big dudes.

Just some advice.

That safe might stop a smash and grab, but if anyone has 3o minutes and a grinder.... they are in.

I have a similar "safe" and I expect losses if anyone knows what they are doing breaks in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]
an ax can get in too. faster than 30 minutes
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its only 450 pounds.  a dolly will do it and a buddy...  You dont need 2 big dudes.

Just some advice.

That safe might stop a smash and grab, but if anyone has 3o minutes and a grinder.... they are in.

I have a similar "safe" and I expect losses if anyone knows what they are doing breaks in.
View Quote
That safe might stop a smash and grab, but if anyone has 30 minutes seconds and a grinder.... they are in.

Constructed with a 12 gauge steel door and a 14 gauge steel body.

Whatever you end up with; a U.L. listed lock should be on your list of required features when you purchase.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What about this one for $150 more. It has double the fire rating.

Tractor Supply
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
an ax can get in too. faster than 30 minutes
View Quote
Yeah, a couple of blows to make an initial hole, and wont take much after that.

The door is also pretty thin, so it's not going to hold someone wanting to get in there in a hurry if they can get a pry bar in there with some leverage.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What about this one for $150 more. It has double the fire rating.

Tractor Supply
View Quote
That only helps with fire. I did not see the steel used on that safe in that link... that's where the difference is when you want to make it harder to cut/ torch or pry a safe open.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That only helps with fire. I did not see the steel used on that safe in that link... that's where the difference is when you want to make it harder to cut/ torch or pry a safe open.
View Quote
Yeah, I thought the chances of the house burning down were higher than someone breaking in and breaking into the safe.

I figured double the fire protection time for $150 might be worth it.

Without me buying a $3500 safe...
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, I thought the chances of the house burning down were higher than someone breaking in and breaking into the safe.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you put the safe in your basement, the cheaper one will be just as OK in a fire, unless your house collapses into the basement and it smolders for 2 hours. Either safe would be toast at that point.
Your best bet is to insure your guns with a rider on your homeowners.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I would definitely not recommend Cannon for a couple reasons. For one, their warranty department sucks, when your electronic lock inevitably fails, they will not honor their warranty and at most will just send you a new lock, even though it's useless as you can't get the safe open. Cannon literally stripped out any relevant security features from this safe and considering it only has 10 bolts in that large of a body and doesn't even mention the thickness in the door, I can pop that sucker open with a crowbar by myself. I would highly recommend taking a look at a Liberty Safe or the very least the AMSEC NF Series with my real recommendation being the AMSEC BF series. They use the same concrete proprietary mix they use in their TL Rated insurable safes. Another descent option that is far more affordable are the Steelwater safes with a dial lock. Here is their 39 gun safe with a 60 minute fire: https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Steelwater-Gun-Protection-AMLD593924-blk/dp/B00Y1HRC9K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1521568279&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=amsec+gun+safe&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=expertsafer07-20&linkId=72015b6338a308894df3c7ed1a63a3e4
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I got that cheap one at Academy. They are running some promo about reloading 10% back on a gift card. So I technically got it for $586 OTD. It can hold all of my guns and magazines.

I added a Tripp Lite surge protector, 18 inch golden rod, A pro breeze mini dehumidifier, and some motion activated leds.

Attachment Attached File

Lol.

I still need to anchor it to the concrete, add the rest of my guns and stuff, and clean up the wiring mess.

It sure is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got that cheap one at Academy. They are running some promo about reloading 10% back on a gift card. So I technically got it for $586 OTD. It can hold all of my guns and magazines.

I added a Tripp Lite surge protector, 18 inch golden rod, A pro breeze mini dehumidifier, and some motion activated leds.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351027/B3A0EA6F-C1A8-4348-9A49-ABBDD53D1BD9-490737.JPG

Lol.

I still need to anchor it to the concrete, add the rest of my guns and stuff, and clean up the wiring mess.

It sure is better than nothing.
View Quote
Question- Why a golden rod and a dehumidifier? I thought that the golden rod was a dehumidifier? I still need to pick one up for my safe.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Question- Why a golden rod and a dehumidifier? I thought that the golden rod was a dehumidifier? I still need to pick one up for my safe.
View Quote
Garage in Arkansas it gets really humid here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always run both, no issues in 20+ years.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Any possibility to change out the e-lock for a dial?
I had an e-lock fail a few years back.
I was lucky it failed open. I swapped out the lock to a dial myself.
As long as the mech inside is right behind the keypad, it should be able to convert.
The e-locks are WAY to common now. A good old fashioned dial is EMP proof and no batteries to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I would say at a minimum a liberty safe (what I just bought) for me the minimums were 11 gauge steel and 4 way bolt work with good capacity. This is going to defeat most thieves that I will encounter. With enough time it'll be beat. A true professional thief with the skills and know how probably isn't coming after me...probably.

You have to weigh what you're protecting against the likelihood of someone with the skills who can defeat it.

Bolt to the floor, have a security system. Layers of security are key.

A lot of folks on here will lead you to believe you need dogs, the best alarm money can buy, a TL rated bank safe that weighs 4,000 pounds and a personal security team.

Take arfcom with a grain or salt and be realistic about your expectations.

I'd say go a step above what you can get at a big box store.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#19]
What options out there exist for a dial lock "~64" (realistically 20 long guns) gun safe for less than $1000? I really just want something that will serve as a deterrent to prevent smash and grabs and to act as an additional layer of security. I already have insurance to cover all of my firearms, reinforced doors and entrances, cameras, and a monitored security system to help deter shitheads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe call a security company to do a stealth delivery. They can't steal what they don't know about.

Just don't hire parolees to do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top