Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2013 10:54:10 AM EDT
Hi all,

A buddy of mine has just completed a new house and he was smart enough to have a decent sized (8x12) panic/vault room poured into his basement. I believe the opening will accommodate a standard size door and frame.

What's the skinny on options for a vault door in the $1,000 range, or is he dreaming?

Also, it looks like a lot of safe manufacturers do vault doors. Recommend some brands for him to research at the BMW level, not Bentley.

ETA Yes it really is a friend of mine and not myself; I am a few years away from doing a new house build with all the bells and whistles one would want.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out sturdy safe and amsec (American security) they seem to be the favorites around here and believe they both make just vault doors - know sturdy does, 90%sure... Not sure they will hit the $1k mark though, suppose it depends on size and features.

Another option, if its framed for a 3/0x6/8 regular door is to buy a residential fire rated door and put in multiple deadbolts, mid, low and high...not as good as a vault door but still a ton of security but much cheaper...
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I did the same and made mine 13x13 and love it but wish it was bigger. My door is made by liberty and I doubt the average piece of shit will get in. The price range is not close with one of the big brand companies. A few no name companies will sale them not painted which will save some money. Just remember that he has one foot in the vault and now he needs to step on in. Don't be cheap and cut corners on something this important. If he would price out guns, jewelry, pictures, important papers im sure that stuff would cost more than a vault door.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
There's not going to be much in the $1,000 range that is worth messing with.  If they have already spec'd a regular door opening, I would spend that $1,000 on a high quality, commercial, steel man door.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's not going to be much in the $1,000 range that is worth messing with.  If they have already spec'd a regular door opening, I would spend that $1,000 on a high quality, commercial, steel man door.

View Quote

Something like this? Maybe use the leftover cash for some really nice deadbolt (Medeco or similar)?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/L-I-F-Industries-36-in-x-80-in-Flush-Gray-Entrance-Right-Hand-Fire-Proof-Door-Unit-with-Welded-Frame-UWE3680R/202510501#specifications
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#5]
You're on the right track, but that door still seems a bit light.

I would find a real commercial door dealer in your area.  They have access to all sorts of doors that most people don't even know exist.  Try to find something made for a storm shelter (impact resistant), or jail use (more robust).

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Salvage yards and building material recyclers in his area may be another option.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Craigslist. I've seen several used vault doors going for $600-$800.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably more than $1k but they make great products.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/products/vault.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Try to find my post on commercial doors. I believe you will find it helpful.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I am a commercial door guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top