Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 2:52:13 PM EDT
I just bought a new safe and I put a hygrometer and one desiccant pack inside to see what the humidity level would get down to and add another desiccant pack if necessary.
The humidity in my house is a steady 35% inside the safe is 54% !!! the safe was stored outside in an enclosed trailer for a while. Could the carpet and other components be saturated
with moisture from being outside ??? Just wondering if anyone has had this trouble with a new safe. I added two more desiccant packs to see if the level will come down.

LEE
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It's possible that the carpet was saturated with moisture or maybe a temperature change since the last time you opened the gun safe that would allow the humidity within the safe to be greater than the exteriors humidity. Around 50% humidity is perfect for storing firearms so that wood, leather straps etc. don't dry out. What's great about desiccant is that it can both absorb and release moisture to keep the interior humidity at around the perfect level (assuming at some point there was moisture to be absorbed of course.) You might be able to take a little more moisture out by adding a second desiccant pack but it's that ideal level of 40 to 50% that you should be working to maintain.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Use a Golden Rod and nothing else

First post and all that..........

Golden rod or Dri-rod.  My goldenrod is 20 years old and my guns are rust free.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats a great idea.  I'm gonna put my hygrometer from my humidor im my safe to check it out.  Thanks for the great idea!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top