BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 2/2/2021 5:22:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980]
https://www.sigsauer.com/sig716-tread.html
This is my first AR-308/AR-10 type rifle and it is awesome! Reviews and reports indicate this rifle is capable of running with the big names in the AR-308/ AR-10 pack. It is a best buy for the price and a serious contender. Don't be fooled by its entry level price. This is not an entry level rifle, but is it a top teir battle rifle?
The SIG-Sauer Tread 716i: 21st Century Battle Rifle

Expensive vs. Inexpensive: POF Revolution DI vs. Sig 716i

Would you choose a .308 for a fighting rifle? India's new Sig 716i rifle.

NEW Sig Tread 716i Review: A Long-Range AR-10

The Sig 716i TREAD .308 Win

Update 6/17/21
My SIG716I TREAD is an accurate and reliable rifle. I've shot 460rds throught it and it just keeps getting better. It's spec'd with the following gear.
Optic: Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF MK1-MRAD mounted in an Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm SPR mount.
BUIS:  Magpul MBUS Pro Offset sights
Trigger: Stock single stage lightened from 8.5lbs to a clean crisp 4.5lb pull using the JP Enhanced Ignition Reliability Spring kit.
Charging Handle: SIG716I Ambi Charging Handle.
Muzzle Attachment: SureFire ProComp 7.62 Muzzle Brake. Stock: VLTOR EMOD stock.
Attachments: Magpul M-LOK Rifle Bipod, Magpul M-LOK MVG, Magpul MOE-K2+ Pistol Grip.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I use the one that Sig sells.  

Highly recommended.

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:

It was only a matter of time....
Im curious to see where we are at in a few years with this rifle. Expanded or obsolete. I'm seriously hoping it's expanding.
View Quote

I hope so too. I purchased mine through PSA for $1399. So far I am pleased with the fit and finish. I have some goodies on the way for it and will take some pictures when its ready for the range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:

I hope so too. I purchased mine through PSA for $1399. So far I am pleased with the fit and finish. I have some goodies on the way for it and will take some pictures when its ready for the range.
View Quote

@RABIDFOX50

Welcome to the 716I land. We look forward to your contributions.

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]

@RABIDFOX50

Welcome to the 716I land. We look forward to your contributions.

View Quote

Many thanks. Here is what I am starting with:

716i of course

Dropping the included stock for a Magpul ACS stock (might try the VLTOR Emod later)
Diamondback Tac 4-12x40 in a LaRue C.A.N. mount
Troy f/r offset iron sights
Magpul Mlok bipod

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By scottfn308:

Highly recommended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Highly recommended.

Thank you!  Signed up for in stock alert.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Got it all set up. Hopefully this week or weekend I’ll take it out and get it tested and zeroed. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By nate_the_great:
Got it all set up. Hopefully this week or weekend I’ll take it out and get it tested and zeroed. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/381888/A3247469-19C4-4441-BBCC-2DF8A392D6E2_jpe-2244977.JPG
View Quote

@nate_the_great
That is one sweet set up.

@RABIDFOX,

I can't wait to see yours too.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:22:06 AM EDT
[#9]

@nate_the_great
That is one sweet set up.

@RABIDFOX,

I can't wait to see yours too.

View Quote

I was watching a video review of the 716i and the guy reviewing suggested the Radian Raptor Ambidextrous AR-10/SR25 Charging Handle. Is that correct or should I stick with ordering the Sig Ambi?

I had to work the weekend so pics of my 716i will be up by or earlier if I get off my duff.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#10]

I was watching a video review of the 716i and the guy reviewing suggested the Radian Raptor Ambidextrous AR-10/SR25 Charging Handle. Is that correct or should I stick with ordering the Sig Ambi?

I had to work the weekend so pics of my 716i will be up by or earlier if I get off my duff.
View Quote

@RABIDFOX50
I would avoid that advice for now unless you confirm fitment with Radian. Last I heard it's been brought to their attention but they have not yet made a SIG 716 compatible Charging Handle. Phase5, SIG, and BTE make the only compatible Charging Handles I believe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Sig Ambi. It's a vast improvement over the factory CH. It's similar to the MCX and MPX charging handle, but feels better than those IMO.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Many thanks guys. I will get the Sig Ambi.

Here is a few pics of mine as of now:

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quick question---

Does Sig put any type of thread locking compound on the stock flash suppressor ?  
My YHM suppressor is arriving tomorrow, and I will need to install the included mount.  

Thanks,

Scott
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quick question---

Does Sig put any type of thread locking compound on the stock flash suppressor ?  
My YHM suppressor is arriving tomorrow, and I will need to install the included mount.  

Thanks,

Scott
View Quote

I didn't think so. I believe it was torqued to spec which means its on there good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#15]

I didn't think so. I believe it was torqued to spec which means its on there good.
View Quote

I got it off.  You were correct, it was torqued on there pretty good.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Talk about a group with some bad influence.
Starting with a blank canvas.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Tangotag:
Talk about a group with some bad influence.
Starting with a blank canvas.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98037/IMG_8556_JPG-2258894.JPG
View Quote

@Tangotag

Hopefully we get a pistol and different calibers soon so we can all really get jiggy with it lol....

Welcome to 716I land. We look forward to your future posts. Let us know if you need anything.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I started a thread asking if we have a definitive answer on the barrel finish and bore treatment, but thought I would post the question here too.

After much internet research, there is a lot of conflicting information online.  I do not know which of these explanations is correct:

A) Sig originally offered the 716i Tread with a nitride barrel (exterior and bore) but changed to a DLC finish (exterior only);
B) People online did not know what DLC was and incorrectly assumed it was nitride since Sig has been using nitride finishes for two decades;
C) A combination of A&B.

Regardless, I've read here and elsewhere that Sig CS says it DLC.  This means an uncoated bore.  I highly doubt the Indian military would adopt a bare-steel bore for front line troops.  Does anyone know the barrel (and bore) finish specifications for the Indian contract?

At this point I am assuming it is a bare steel bore with DLC finish.  However, my rifle's exterior barrel finish does not look like any other DLC I have seen.  It is far too shiny.  It looks nitrided (the finish looks like a PSA nitrided barrel finish ... shiny and bright unlike the DLC finishes I have seen which tend to be more "flat" or "low sheen").

What says the hive?

OPTION 1) Sig CS is wrong, and it is nitrided;
OPTION 2) It varies rifle to rifle (Sig is notorious for changing specs);
OPTION 3) It is DLC exterior and rust-prone bare steel bore?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm sorry I cannot answer you question, save to say that my bore seems every bit as black as the outside of the barrel.

Serial 22M0035XX

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
I'm sorry I cannot answer you question, save to say that my bore seems every bit as black as the outside of the barrel.

Serial 22M0035XX

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20220129_163119-2259181.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20220129_163145-2259180.jpg
View Quote

I asked SIG if they could send out a tapered adapter for my SureFire ProComp. There wasn't one in the shipping box when I purchased. I too will provide bore pics when I reinstall it. Personally I think the barrels are completely nitrided with polished chambers and DLC refers to the Bolt Carriers. I doubt they're unfinished but you never know.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Just put a deposit down on the 5.56 SIG M400 Switchblade Pistol.
Attachment Attached File

I wanted to get the SIG Cross but with all the crazy talk about pistols and braces, I figured the best time is now for the Switchblade. I want the Cross, the NGSW Raptor .308 and another 716I.

SIG if you hear me, don't sleep on the 716I! Instead place more effort into full ambidexterity, caliber conversions and different barrel lengths adding to the current quality offering. If you build it we will come!
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#22]
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif
I wanted to get the SIG Cross but with all the crazy talk about pistols and braces, I figured the best time is now for the Switchblade. I want the Cross, the NGSW Raptor .308 and another 716I.

SIG if you hear me, don't sleep on the 716I! Instead place more effort into full ambidexterity, caliber conversions and different barrel lengths adding to the current quality offering. If you build it we will come!
View Quote

Like a 12" pistol? The 'Shillelagh'.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#23]
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif

View Quote

I bought a switchblade and it is AWESOME.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Went out this morning and ran 100 rounds of PPU 145gr. FMJ through the 716i. Flawless cycling and very consistent brass ejection. Still need to dial in my scope but I am on paper at 50yds (indoor range). I will be out at the 200yd range next week to fine tune the scope. I am very happy with my 716i.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

Like a 12" pistol? The 'Shillelagh'.
View Quote

Wow your bringing back memories. I had bought one on my Africa deployment and forget to bring it back. Definitely a proper tool with a purpose and much handier than a gun in certain situations.

Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

I bought a switchblade and it is AWESOME.
View Quote

Music to my ears. Im thinking about how to dress it up and so far I'm lleaning towards stealth gray Magpul accessories. I ordered some Tungsten Grey mags from X-Werks that I'm shocked I actually paid for but I love their work. I have a sweet Nikon 1-4 LPVO for it too. I can't wait to get it.
Now I just need a Cross, another 716I and a NGSW MCX Raptor. I may have to add another M400 should this one prove itself worthy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Went out this morning and ran 100 rounds of PPU 145gr. FMJ through the 716i. Flawless cycling and very consistent brass ejection. Still need to dial in my scope but I am on paper at 50yds (indoor range). I will be out at the 200yd range next week to fine tune the scope. I am very happy with my 716i.
View Quote

@RABIDFOX50
That's great to hear. I'm glad your happy with your 716I. The 716I just keeps getting better IMO. Charging my 716I when new was like pulling the sword from the stone. It used to cast a metallic smoke cloud when charged and now it glides so smoothly, after just 565rds. For some reason the 716I brings me joy to shoot. It has something to do with what 7.62 is capable of and the emotional response it's performance provides the shooter. I also own an M1A SOCOM16 and although it's fun to shoot, it takes a backseat to my 716I. All my guns have taken a backseat to my 716I. There's nothing wrong with .308 even if there are better rounds that can do the job. It's just happens to be readily available and plentiful at that and for a decent price. When you compare that to what is available, price, and what still gets the job done, .308 is good enough for me. I have decided to get the Geissele High Speed National Match trigger to replace my JP spring aided SIG stock trigger on my 716I. I think it will provide me what I am looking for in that department.

Take care
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Well finally got the stock Sig flash suppressor off the 716i, and got the suppressor mount
installed.  Did some testing today to see what kind of zero shift I would get between suppressed
and non-suppressed I would get, if any.  So far, it seems to be minimal.  

Took a pic in the shop with the can attached.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally took my 716 out to the range today just for some function testing prior to painting it.
Happy to report it ran fine unsuppressed and suppressed with a Surefire RC2 7.62 Mini.
Ejection went from 4:30 to 2:00 and there was an increase in recoil but it felt about the same way my KAC ACC did it had the same suppressor.
Wasn’t a huge round count at 60rds, but I’m happy with the initial performance
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 7:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#29]
Originally Posted By nate_the_great:
Finally took my 716 out to the range today just for some function testing prior to painting it.
Happy to report it ran fine unsuppressed and suppressed with a Surefire RC2 7.62 Mini.
Ejection went from 4:30 to 2:00 and there was an increase in recoil but it felt about the same way my KAC ACC did it had the same suppressor.
Wasn’t a huge round count at 60rds, but I’m happy with the initial performance
View Quote

@nate_the_great
That's great to hear. We look forward to more of your feedback.

So today I finalized a deal on a SIG 716 G2 Patrol FDE to add to my collection. While at the shop I also picked up a 365XL for my pocket carry.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Today was a good day.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I got to take mine to a range with a bench today. Surprisingly LC M80 ball shoots MOA consistently at 100 yards. Usually 4 rounds touching with a 5th flier at the 1” mark. Shot one group of 5 factory loaded Hornady 168gr AMAX and it was terrible. This was towards the end my session and it could’ve just been me too. Next time I get out I’ll try the AMAX load again and try for a 10 shot group with M80 ball.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#31]

@nate_the_great
That's great to hear. We look forward to more of your feedback.

So today I finalized a deal on a SIG 716 G2 Patrol FDE to add to my collection. While at the shop I also picked up a 365XL for my pocket carry.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220203_130123_jpg-2266954.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220204_134727_jpg-2266956.JPG
Today was a good day.
View Quote

Nice! A 365 is likely my next purchase.

I’d bet they do, but can you verify if the bolts are interchangeable?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

Nice! A 365 is likely my next purchase.

I’d bet they do, but can you verify if the bolts are interchangeable?
View Quote

@olds442tyguy

How you doing bud? When I get the G2 I'll check it out. I also plan to check lower compatability. I'll post several pics too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jonathon:
I got to take mine to a range with a bench today. Surprisingly LC M80 ball shoots MOA consistently at 100 yards. Usually 4 rounds touching with a 5th flier at the 1” mark. Shot one group of 5 factory loaded Hornady 168gr AMAX and it was terrible. This was towards the end my session and it could’ve just been me too. Next time I get out I’ll try the AMAX load again and try for a 10 shot group with M80 ball.
View Quote

@jonathon
Interesting results, especially from the AMAX Load. I look forward to hearing back from you after your next session. Good luck and take care.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#34]

@jonathon
Interesting results, especially from the AMAX Load. I look forward to hearing back from you after your next session. Good luck and take care.
View Quote

It's very interesting. I did check and milspec for M80 ball is a mean radius of 5 inches at 600 yards, or about 1.6 MOA. So it's not necessarily impossible but I'm a little amazed. This batch of LC M80 was bought from Brownells in 2019. This rifle shoots M80 better than my Ballistic Advantage .223 shoots 77gr .223. I need to find my rear bag and get my bipod setup for this rifle as I think the AMAX load will do at least as good if I'm not fighting keeping the gun stable. I'm hoping to draw a deer tag this year and use this rifle as I think it's about perfect for a semi-auto. The Kahles K16i is a great fit and I do not feel limited by the 6x top end at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Just picked up mine used locally.  Might have been a member here but didn't ask.  $1700 with pst1-6 in a larue cant, mbt2s, 9 pmags, 3 lancer, 1 hex.  Haven't shot it yet but like the relatively light weight and feel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By cspackler33:
Just picked up mine used locally.  Might have been a member here but didn't ask.  $1700 with pst1-6 in a larue cant, mbt2s, 9 pmags, 3 lancer, 1 hex.  Haven't shot it yet but like the relatively light weight and feel.
View Quote

Sounds like a screamin' deal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
Veeeeery nice score
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

That’s a steal!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Wow that is a good deal! Let us know what you think of it after you take it out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Well finally got the stock Sig flash suppressor off the 716i, and got the suppressor mount
installed.  Did some testing today to see what kind of zero shift I would get between suppressed
and non-suppressed I would get, if any.  So far, it seems to be minimal.  

Took a pic in the shop with the can attached.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22729/YHM_308_jpg-2263195.JPG

View Quote

@scottfn308

I may have asked already, but what BUIS are you using?

I was thinking of getting Troy sights front and rear.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By C-4:

@scottfn308

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/7EF35A10-1BCB-41AE-9214-2C4AD58CD3E8-2276228.jpg
View Quote

I have the GG&G MAD rear sight and the corresponding font sight from them as well.  
I used them since I already had them in the shop.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#42]

@scottfn308

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/7EF35A10-1BCB-41AE-9214-2C4AD58CD3E8-2276228.jpg
View Quote

Not to get political, but friends don't let friends use Troy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By rhaney02:

View Quote

I'm sure we all have a firearm or part, built by a company that at one time, conducted themselves unethically in some way, shape or form. Imagine the naivety in thinking, only those caught commit the acts.... Funny!
For this simple possibility, friends should refrain from judgment, when it comes to the steel one chooses to protect their family with.

Just saying....
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 8:55:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ex_Sanguine_Nation] [#44]

I'm sure we all have a firearm or part, built by a company that at one time, conducted themselves unethically in some way, shape or form. Imagine the naivety in thinking, only those caught commit the acts.... Funny!
For this simple possibility, friends should refrain from judgment, when it comes to the steel one chooses to protect their family with.

Just saying....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rhaney02:

Just saying....

I understand both sentiments. We could certainly carry our concerns back a ways earlier and ask "What was JP Sauer und Sohn doing between 1938 and 1945?".

Anyway, you can get the new 2tone Snakebite in stock at Primary Arms, and 12% off, presently.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks, guys.  I already had a rear Troy sight from a while ago so was going to add the front one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I had a chance to finally get out and shoot my Sig 716i.  My 13 year-old shot an SLR-106 (5.56mm).  Very short range trip but fun!

I quickly put on a Trijicon TA-31F and shot it at 25 yards.  I was just making sure this thing can fire.  I was shooting some Portuguese surplus ?1980.  I have some good .308 ammo but no need for what I was doing today.  I shot one 20-rnd mag and it was great.  I noticed that the recoil was less than my brother’s ? 1rst Gen Sig 716.  That thing has a stout recoil.  My plan is to put an Omega 300 on it.  I’d like to deer hunt this fall with it.  

I definitely need to get a sling on this!

Son shooting SLR-106 (5.56mm).

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#47]

I had a chance to finally get out and shoot my Sig 716i.  My 13 year-old shot an SLR-106 (5.56mm).  Very short range trip but fun!

I quickly put on a Trijicon TA-31F and shot it at 25 yards.  I was just making sure this thing can fire.  I was shooting some Portuguese surplus ?1980.  I have some good .308 ammo but no need for what I was doing today.  I shot one 20-rnd mag and it was great.  I noticed that the recoil was less than my brother’s ? 1rst Gen Sig 716.  That thing has a stout recoil.  My plan is to put an Omega 300 on it.  I’d like to deer hunt this fall with it.  

I definitely need to get a sling on this!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/6626DD6D-80C6-4B71-BE84-E6D7B7D6687C-2278405.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/0E9EB129-AFB1-4A7C-ACD5-7C8AFAD695A8-2278406.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/5FBCC4FE-12E4-453A-80D7-C67379AAB134-2278407.jpg

Son shooting SLR-106 (5.56mm).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/79DF8A83-1F98-4B41-AAC5-25DE597EC726-2278409.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/FC57BB94-2387-44B7-88FD-8FD4B60B889B-2278408.jpg
View Quote

@C4

Glad to hear you and your boy are out and having fun with some sweet guns. A win in my book.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#49]
How well does the 716I suppress?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Which version of the Magpul MIAD grip works best on the 716i?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top