Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2019 9:12:09 PM EDT
Took my Rattler out today, and it ran just fine with supersonic rounds, but was a bit less so with unsuppressed subsonic rounds. I left the gas full open and it just wouldn't run consistently with 220gr Remington, not enough gas to strip the next round.  I knew this could be an issue, so I'm not upset, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with different subsonic ammo that cycles consistently in the Rattler. I was thinking maybe the Gemtech 208gr or some of the 194gr might work. Supersonics work both suppressed and unsuppressed.  Would love any thoughts. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Subsonics are not meant to be run without a suppressor. A suppressor gives you that back pressure to cycle reliably when subsonic ammunition is used. I’m sure that some will work without a suppressor but what’s the purpose.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Sig makes ammo that I am sure they would recommend for the gun.  Seems like an obvious place to start when looking for ammo to function in the Rattler.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone make a booster brake for 300AAC so one can boost more gas back for these guns that don't run 100% on subs?  The concept of boosting isn't new - and seems to work for Krinks - and CNCwarrior made some copies of the Krink booster in various sizes but not for 30 cal 5/8-24.

My gun will will run 100% on supers, and about 15% on subs (S&B) and less than 10% remington subs.  It seems so close  to wanting to run - ejects empty and cocks hammer, often just missing the round to pick up - just a little more gas!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone make a booster brake for 300AAC so one can boost more gas back for these guns that don't run 100% on subs?  The concept of boosting isn't new - and seems to work for Krinks - and CNCwarrior made some copies of the Krink booster in various sizes but not for 30 cal 5/8-24.

My gun will will run 100% on supers, and about 15% on subs (S&B) and less than 10% remington subs.  It seems so close  to wanting to run - ejects empty and cocks hammer, often just missing the round to pick up - just a little more gas!
View Quote
Doesn't the Noveske pig increase gas pressure back on a system slightly?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Appreciate the responses. I'm aware that subs can be problematic without the can. All I was hoping for was that someone had some good luck with a particular brand of subs in a Rattler without the can. I don't want to put a Pig on there because I'd have to remove it to put my can on. I'll give the Sig ammo a shot, I kind of forgot I had some so I should have taken those with me, guess I have an excuse for another range day with the Rattler.

Has anyone tried any 194gr subsonic rounds?  I've only done 220gr, so my experience is zero with them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
American Eagle 220 subsonic runs great in mine unsuppressed. I also could not get the Remington 220 to work. Short stroked most all rounds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Every time this question comes up I wonder why anyone wants to shoot subs unsuppressed. It makes no sense to me.

Can someone explain what the point is? I legitimately don’t understand.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Every time this question comes up I wonder why anyone wants to shoot subs unsuppressed. It makes no sense to me.

View Quote
Maybe to make sure you can just in case it is all you have at hand. Saying "hold that thought" to someone while you run to the gun store for ammo may not always be an option.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't WANT to shoot subs suppressed, but if I have a day where I forget my can and I've already gotten to the range, I can at least still shoot without buying overpriced range ammo. It's more a matter of convenience. But shooting unsuppressed subsonic isnt on my must have list. Preference is supersonic suppressed and unsuppressed, subsonic suppressed, then a huge drop off before I get to unsuppressed subsonic

It's also a knowledge piece: it's good to know what works/doesn't work in my weapon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top