Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2009 3:54:43 PM EDT
A friend of mine is wanting one.Just wondering how they are holding up since they've been out for a while???He doesn't have a computer as of now,so i told him i'd get the info on them.Any help would be great.(he used to have AR's,wants something different!)
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You guys who own these don't know if they're a good reliable gun or not???
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#2]
They run just fine.

You will see in all the posts in the area people all say they have no failures or at least very very few.

I have four SIG 556's and have yet to have a failure. My friend has had a few problems running steel cased polymer coated Russian ammo, but that’s it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have run several thousand rounds of SB steel case ammo down the tube at 3-gun shoots. Not a single problem and no failures of any kind that I can recall.  No strange or unusual wear anywhere. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive had mine since they first came out and havent had a single problem.
Its really just a small percentage of these guns that are having problems but because they all flock to the forums it only make it seem like the percentage of problems is high. compared to ARs and AKs sig 556 problems are rare.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You guys who own these don't know if they're a good reliable gun or not???

With the cost of ammo these days, you almost have to cash out what's left of your 401k in order to give the thing a proper shakedown.

I haven't been keeping very good track, but in the perhaps 300 rounds (all of them my reloads), I've only experienced one malf-  It was caused by the cheesy Sig OEM plastic magazine.  No other issues with the rifle itself.

The finish on the lower is weak, and chips off with the greatest of ease.  With the exceptions of some accessories which were purchased separately, I've had no other issues with the rifle.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Well mine has some of the issues and is in the serial number range for stated issues and bolt carrier wear. If your just looking for a GP rifle its not a bad one and I prefer it to an AR. I will say that I wish Sig would make it more solid and not put cheap parts on it. The buttstock on mine wiggles excessively, the lower receiver had scrapes up and down it that are under the finish and the bolt carrier wear is troubling. Its not that the rifle isn't up to working or that its a bad rifle its just that its a Sig and I had bigger 550ish expectations for it. Its like a car sputtering, if I had an old hyundai elantra I'd be ok with it sputtering every now and then but if I bought an Audi and it sputtered right out of the gate I'd be pissed. However my understanding is that its just a certain serial number group affected by these issues in the classic and I just landed a lemon. I'm sending it back to Sig LE and we'll see what they do, I'm not going to judge them until I get it back. I'll let everyone know the results upon getting it back. So far they send me a shipping label asap and have been good about it. We'll see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top