Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2008 9:51:31 PM EDT
Hey everyone, im not a newb to the firearm world, but I am new to these kind of weapons... so i need some advice. I would assume that the two rifles are comparable but I dont know how to make up my mind. I was thinkin about any of the popular ar15 manufacturers like dpms, bushmaster, Smith and Wesson, arma lite and colt or buying the sig 556 swat version. I really like the sig for some reason... i think becuase its just different. Also it already has a piston system installed... Anyways, help a new guy like me out or please point me in the right direction. thanks alot!
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig 556 'classic' is supposedly coming out sometime soon, no gay AR stock on that one.  

Hard decision, I'd hate to tell you to wait and see only to not be able to find anything at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Sigs are more rare and are going to be running a premium now with the political climate -

The sig has the potential of costing 2x as much as the basic AR

With the AR there are plentiful amts. of spare parts if something breaks

Get a decent AR (dpms/olympic arms/hesse/vulcan NOT INCLUDED)

And some mags/ammunition/sling/optic?/etc with the $ you save.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I own an AR, I am going to buy the SIG 556 rifle and the SIG 556 pistol.

Think about the two in this way.  AR15 is a classic <insert sport car model).  People buy them because they are classic.  Almost all  ex-military people that I have met has an AR15 because they used the M-16 when they were in active service.  They are comfortable with it.

Think about the Sig 556 as the new model sports car. New vs Old is the technology.  SIG 556 is the new technology.  

SIG 556 can have a folding stock.  AR15 cannot.  AR15 has more parts to clean.  SIG 556 can take more abuse and does not have to be super clean to work, unlike an AR15.  OFC the SIG is a pound or two heavier, but add a few things to it (flashlight, scope, front pistol grip, etc.) the extra weight is no issue.

This is why FN SCAR is coming out, Bushmaster ACR and SIG556 are out.

Plus SIG 556 is the american version of the SIG 551, which has a proven track record for military and law enforcement around the world.  SIG 556 has majority american made products.  SIGARMS has a facility that has 250 people in NH.

Both guns are good.  You cannot go wrong with either of them.  I like the SIG 556 better, my wife loves the AR15 better due to the weight issue.  (She likes the basic AR15 rifle without any additional parts).

I hope this helps.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:36:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The SIG 556's gas piston system pre-dates Stoner's direct gas system. The SIG is the classic as its technology is older (and more reliable, in my opinion). I guess the "package" is newer, but the guts have been around for a long time in a LOT of battle-proven weapons.

FWIW, when I was in the Corps, I first carried an M14 (also a gas piston rifle) and later an M16 and have owned several ARs over the years. Now I own and shoot a SIG 556 Commando.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both a RRA Tactical Entry and Sig 556 commando.  I really enjoy shooting both and have not had any issues with either one.

You can't go wrong with either IMHO
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No excuse not to have both

+1
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks alot for the help everyone! I think im gonna go with the Sig 556... I dont know why, i just feel its different and rare and like people said, maybe more reliable with the gas piston system... Plus with the price issue... I think i want to go ahead and take a hit with the price of the 556, because i can afford it right now... and they could become more expensive later. Then maybe build a AR15 later... as long as Obama doesnt rape our constitution. Thanks again and any more help is appreciated!!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
make sure you handle both before you buy.  Just incase one of them  feels better in your hands then the other.  Single most important factor.  Reason why SIG has over 5 different models to choose from with many different stocks.

I can give you the best pistol in the world, but if it feels bad in your hands, you would choose another pistol.

just a thought.

One reason I love AKs, is because it feels good in my hands.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Same deal with me, i worked behind the counter and got to handle a shit ton of ar's in every possible configuration, i just liked the Sig more.  Its basically an ak that takes ar mags.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

when I bought mine there was pretty much one configuration and I knew I hated it with a passion.  Once I fiddled with it, I love it.  The handguards made all the difference and an A2 buttstock gave it pretty close to perfect balance.

ooo you should see the classic model for sig 556.  seems the butt is going to be a little heavier then the current ones.  looks pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
When the original AWB was passed in '94, there were but a few AUG's in the US.  The AR15 was far more prevalent and common.  If you were one of the rare few to have purchased an AUG in that brief window before Sept '94, you have a very prized possession worth an incredible sum of money.  

Possible, the same might occur with the SIG.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, after losing faith in my AR, I decided to go the 556 route.  For me, that was a great decision.  I love mine, and will never look back to the AR's.  They have their place and I would love to replace mine one day, but for my only SHTF rifle, 556 for me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]
It would probably be useful to shoot, or at least hold, both first.  An AR, as long as it isn't an HBAR, feels very balanced, whereas the Sig is insanely front-heavy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I just bought a Sig 556 Swat model off Gunbroker.com, so someone congratulate me! Im excited!  It has the folding stock too! I cant wait to get it and shoot it!  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, I just bought a Sig 556 Swat model off Gunbroker.com, so someone congratulate me! Im excited!  It has the folding stock too! I cant wait to get it and shoot it!  

Congratulations!  After spending some quality time with mine it's going to put more hurt on the AR's in the safe than my FAL did.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When the original AWB was passed in '94, there were but a few AUG's in the US.  The AR15 was far more prevalent and common.  If you were one of the rare few to have purchased an AUG in that brief window before Sept '94, you have a very prized possession worth an incredible sum of money.  

Possible, the same might occur with the SIG.

I've had this thought as well.

I traded a bushy M4 and a romy ak for mine straight up.  I was in a funk and needed that "new gun feeling".  I like it a lot.  I've got 3 AR lowers I'm going to build up, all with good components, so I will know that my backup rifles are in the same league as my 556, and should things get weird in a few years, my 556 could wind up being worth a lot of money.  If it comes to that, and I have adequate replacements, then I'll be glad I had the foresight.  In the mean time, I'm enjoying how jealous it makes my AR shooting buddies.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#20]
On one hand I sort of like the 556 and on the other I don't. The 556 reminds me a lot of an AK in a way. Kind of a mix between an AR and AK almost. It is pretty front heavy. I was considering one but decided to stick with AR's for now. You can get two AR's for the price of a sig 556.

I think a Bushmaster ACR could change my views tho.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You can get two AR's for the price of a sig 556.

Exactly
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get two AR's for the price of a sig 556.

Exactly

Or three converted Saigas in 5.56, with actual sights

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, after losing faith in my AR, I decided to go the 556 route.  For me, that was a great decision.  I love mine, and will never look back to the AR's.  They have their place and I would love to replace mine one day, but for my only SHTF rifle, 556 for me.

Very well said, big +1.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't buy the damned gun based on novelty, that's the least you can do for yourself. For a go to gun, the last thing that will be going through your mind is how jealous all your mall ninja friends will be. As others have recommended, ergonomics should be key as both weapons platforms are great and replacement parts readily available (more so for the AR). Fondle both at a candy store, try both if you can, then make a sound decision.

As for the veterans propensity towards the AR platform, you're absolutely correct in assuming most like their ARs. We know the manual of arms, some of us have detailed it to every nut and bolt, been through the good times and bad. It is a part of our history, and for those who've properly maintained their weapons through all of its trials and tribulations, it has kept us safe and earned our respected confidence. We don't live in a 3rd world shit hole, nor should we neglect our weapons as such. All machines eventually break down, a proper PM routine will make all the difference. Look up Pat Rogers PDF on basic maintenance tips on the AR platform for more knowledge.

If you like both, get both if you can, but damn it don't get one over the other because you think 1) it makes you instantly tacticooler or 2) you'll be able to retire from it's appreciated value.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top