Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 9:44:56 AM EDT
looking at getting a 01 FFL...

there are no specific zoning requirements for this from what I can find?

As for a 07, a manufacturer, the place has to be zoned for "manufacturing"...which is VERY difficult to find where I live.  Also dont want my property re-zoned, then re-assessed.   Could a place be zoned as "mixed use", such as on a lot of land where there is an apartment building (type of property I live on)?

I live on a street where there are a number of deeds, each is for a multiple unit apartment building, all are owned by my immediate family.  There are 2 possible garages which I have access to, to use as a "premises", though none are on their own deed. And making them on their own lot/deed is out of the question...as is the possibility of them being rezoned for manufacturing as the town wont accept it.

So, would I only be limited to getting a 01 FFL or do you think a 07 FFL is possible.  If so , how?

Finding a "manufacturing" zoned place for rent is out of the question also...as the only places I found locally run around $3500-5000 a month rent.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Appropriate zoning is required for a Type 01 FFL - commercial activity must be permitted at the location.

You're going to need a local land-use attorney to help you out with either getting a waiver or getting your property rezoned appropriately.  An initial consultation with one shouldn't cost much (if anything) and would let you know if what you want to do is feasible.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Appropriate zoning is required for a Type 01 FFL - commercial activity must be permitted at the location.

You're going to need a local land-use attorney to help you out with either getting a waiver or getting your property rezoned appropriately.  An initial consultation with one shouldn't cost much (if anything) and would let you know if what you want to do is feasible.

my father runs a business , appointment only sort, video production...on the same site currently, out of the house.

He likened it to how women run salons out of their house.  Unsure if you could be a FFL dealer similarly.   I know Rich here from NY is going for his FFL, and running it much like as I hope it would be possible for me to.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Your best bet is to call the town. I know a lot of 01 FFLs around Rochester who have worked out of their homes for years and live in areas that are zoned residential. You may just need a letter from your jurisdiction stating that you are allowed to run a 01 or 07 from your premises.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Your best bet is to call the town. I know a lot of 01 FFLs around Rochester who have worked out of their homes for years and live in areas that are zoned residential. You may just need a letter from your jurisdiction stating that you are allowed to run a 01 or 07 from your premises.

Im heading down tomorrow to speak to the secretary. Ill end up probably taking to the zoning board.....my town is anything but easy on people and businesses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top