Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2010 5:25:32 AM EDT
Just figured I'd start a thread showing my progress... (or lack of)

Friday April 9, 2010.... FFL application sent via certified/registered mail.

Thursday April 15, 2010.... $200 check cleared my account.

I will update accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good.  My check was cashed on the 2nd of March and my interview is scheduled for Monday April 19.  Still waiting on my letter from my landlord (commercial) for the inspecter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sounds good.  My check was cashed on the 2nd of March and my interview is scheduled for Monday April 19.  Still waiting on my letter from my landlord (commercial) for the inspecter.

Can you elaborate on this "letter" you speak of ?

I'm leasing my shop, but the property owner WAS the previous gun shop owner. In other words, there is obviously no issues with my landlord.

Do I still need some type of formal letter to provide to the BATF inspector ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Just be prepared that the ATF is going to be doing some extra careful checking into your business, seeing as how the previous owner of the business (who has a criminal record now) is still the owner of the building, and allowing you to use the building for your new business. I wouldn't expect them to "rubber stamp" this within a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]
When I spoke with the inspector the other day she mentioned that since I am leasing my building, my Printing company is in there, that I must have a letter from my lease agent stating that it was ok to sell firearms from their building.  She said that I must have this for her to finish processing my application.  I'm sure I'll find out more about it next week.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Ours just called the leasing agent and that was enough for them, they are just looking to confirm.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just be prepared that the ATF is going to be doing some extra careful checking into your business, seeing as how the previous owner of the business (who has a criminal record now) is still the owner of the building, and allowing you to use the building for your new business. I wouldn't expect them to "rubber stamp" this within a couple of weeks.

I'm not expecting any "special" treatment...  I only expect to be treated like any other new gun dealer.

This is a brand new business and completely unrelated to the previous owners. Any BATF inspector or agent will realize it the moment they walk through the door.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I mailed my paper work on 3/11, charged my account on 3/15. No word from anyone yet. I had an FFL back in 95 but closed up shop. Waiting to see if I can reopen, I should have never let my FFL go, I should have kept it up. Maybe they will be in contact soon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I mailed in an application 2/23, check was cashed 3/11, interview was today, and he told me to expect the license anytime in the next four weeks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
that is great! Good luck to you all!
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Interview today and Lic to be issued and in hand next week.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Mailed App 3/1, payment processed 3/6, interview was today. She said that it will be reviewed and approved by her supervisor then sent to the licensing center in WV, who will then process it within 30-60 days.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to the world of paperwork :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mailed App 3/1, payment processed 3/6, interview was today. She said that it will be reviewed and approved by her supervisor then sent to the licensing center in WV, who will then process it within 30-60 days.

Are you operating from a storefront ? or are you a home-based dealer?

Reason I ask is... I wonder if they (BATF) expedite the process for storefronts... and possibly put home-based FFL's on the back burner?
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#14]
possibly put home-based FFL's on the back burner?[/quote]

Why would they do that?  It does not benefit them to "back burner" anyone.  I am sure they are handling the case load as their regional or local manpower / staff permits.  I submitted my FFL on 7/26/09 and had license in hand on 9/26/09 and I am not a B&M shop.
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you operating from a storefront ? or are you a home-based dealer?

Reason I ask is... I wonder if they (BATF) expedite the process for storefronts... and possibly put home-based FFL's on the back burner?

We will be home based for now. The inspector or whatever they are said the reason things are taking so long is because they are short staffed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 4:31:40 AM EDT
[#16]
It has been 2 months to the day that the BATF recieved my package and check. Check cashed. Still waiting on a call.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Interview was today, he said I should have license between 2 weeks and 2 months. They are really backed up right now, maybe the 2 weeks time frame. Now to start looking for suppliers, I'm not sure how many that I use to buy from are still in business, 15 years was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#18]
My FFL arrived this morning, was issued last week just as they said it would, so Check was cashed on March 2nd and issued May 1st.  Would have been sooner, but I had to reschedule my interview.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It has been 2 months to the day that the BATF recieved my package and check. Check cashed. Still waiting on a call.

Interview is Friday (14MAY2010). Wish me Luck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Sent it in 2/16, they received it on 3/3, sent to Anchorage field office 3/22, received call 4/8 and scheuled interview 4/22.  I have high hopes to receive it this week...

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Got a call Monday 5/24 from BATF.

They scheduled the inspection/interview for Wed 6/2.

I was asked to provide supporting paperwork, such as signed lease agreement, borough permit, corp/LLC paperwork, drivers license, etc...

I already have everything copied and waiting in a folder for them.

The gal I spoke with on the phone was very pleasant and polite...   I still haven't encountered any of the "jack-booted thugs" so commonly spoken of here on Arfcom.
In the last 6 months or so, I've met and spoken with a dozen or more BATF agents...  EVERY single one of them have been friendly, polite, professional and quite frankly, just plain down to earth.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a call on 5/14 from the agent that did my inspection.  There is a new inspector or something in Seattle who wanted a couple changes done.  The shop is an LLC and we had marked, apparently erroneously, that we were a corp on the app when we are technically an other.  

Not a big deal to change but it adds time to the process.  Been over 3 months since I initially sent in the app.

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got a call on 5/14 from the agent that did my inspection.  There is a new inspector or something in Seattle who wanted a couple changes done.  The shop is an LLC and we had marked, apparently erroneously, that we were a corp on the app when we are technically an other.  

Not a big deal to change but it adds time to the process.  Been over 3 months since I initially sent in the app.

It's funny you say that... as I did the exact same thing. (I am an LLC)  
The agent said it's no big deal and that we can get it fixed when she stops in next week.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Still waiting on ours... This whole process has been delay after delay from every level of government. It's getting very annoying but at least it allows us to save up more money for when we actually start business.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Still waiting on ours... This whole process has been delay after delay from every level of government. It's getting very annoying but at least it allows us to save up more money for when we actually start business.

Having a very good attorney was instrumental in getting through some of the BS associated with my local municipality.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's funny you say that... as I did the exact same thing.
(I am an LLC)  

The agent said it's no big deal and that we can get it fixed when she stops in next week.

The other issue is that apparently the title, when used with an LLC, can't be "owner" so I had to add "/member" and date and initial those changes as well.

These things were missed/not known to be issues when the interview/inspection was done and the agent apologized for having to do the corrections.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny you say that... as I did the exact same thing. (I am an LLC)  

The other issue is that apparently the title, when used with an LLC, can't be "owner" so I had to add "/member" and date and initial those changes as well.  

These things were missed/not known to be issues when the interview/inspection was done and the agent apologized for having to do the corrections.

I'm lucky... in that my agent caught those issues prior to my inspection. My attorney will also be attending the inspection next week, so any issues that may arise will be dealt with and corrected immediately and on the spot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I talked to the agent that did my interview today and she said that the corrections were made and the emails sent to the Atlanta office and that all I am waiting on is the mailman basically.  She was kind of surprised I had not received it yet actually.

Maybe after I get it I'll stop grinding my teeth so damn much.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I mailed in an application 2/23, check was cashed 3/11, interview was today, and he told me to expect the license anytime in the next four weeks.

Still waiting. I'm supposed to call in if it doesn't arrive tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's funny you say that... as I did the exact same thing.
(I am an LLC)  

I'm lucky... in that my agent caught those issues prior to my inspection. My attorney will also be attending the inspection next week, so any issues that may arise will be dealt with and corrected immediately and on the spot.

My agent did not know that these were issues and apologized for not correcting them while she was at the shop for the inspection/interview.

I would like to say, that despite my best efforts , everyone with the BATF that I have personally had contact with has been extremely polite and professional so far and my interactions with them have been better than any I have ever had with any governmental agency, Local, State, or Federal.  I am not saying that I don't fear for my canine's safety, but that that it appears the jackboots don't come out during these sorts of dealings.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would like to say, that despite my best efforts , everyone with the BATF that I have personally had contact with has been extremely polite and professional so far and my interactions with them have been better than any I have ever had with any governmental agency, Local, State, or Federal.  I am not saying that I don't fear for my canine's safety, but that that it appears the jackboots don't come out during these sorts of dealings.  

Agreed.  Our interactions with them have been great, as have the NICS folks.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#32]
It's hhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Ahh, that initial dance around excitement followed by a sudden and overwhelming feeling of "Oh fuck I forgot to order 4473's"
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having a very good attorney was instrumental in getting through some of the BS associated with my local municipality.

There was no BS per se from any agency, just short staffing resulting in long wait times on paperwork processing. I don't think bringing in a lawyer would really have helped. Like we needed to contact someone in the city zoning dept to file a form (didn't really require approval) but the website didn't have the info and the guy we were told to call by the ATF was out on furlough days the first time or 2 we called. Just a long wait to get our LLC, then our state tax license, and the city has been the worst between that zoning office and the tax license.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Well... Wednesdays interview went pretty well.

It felt like more of an interrogation to me though.

Considering the previous issues at the location, I pretty much expected alot of questions and scrutiny. The agents were very thorough, polite and professional. The visit lasted a little over two hours.
I had a few errors on the application... but was able to correct them on the spot.

Hopefully the FFL shows up soon...   In the meantime, I opened up for business selling indoor range memberships, misc gun related accessories and ammo. We had steady walk-in customers throughout the day and did pretty good for not advertising at all. I wasn't really sure how/when to open...  so I just decided to walk to the front door... unlock it... and plug-in the "OPEN" sign.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#35]
ATF cashed check on 9th of March, and im still waiting.  They are probably pretty low on people up here in AK.  They said short staffed.  Im going to run my little shop out of a finished room over my garage with regular hours, so I guess im technically B&M and KT.  The other shops around here dont do military type rifles, so I dont think im going to be stepping on too many toes.  

where do you guys get your books?  are you allowed to get them ahead of time?
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
where do you guys get your books?  are you allowed to get them ahead of time?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1694/Product/FIREARMS_RECORD_BOOKS - we bought ours after having the interview.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Our FFL finally arrived on wednesday. Now we get the joy of emailing and mailing it all over and scrambling to order things we need to begin operating
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Our FFL finally arrived on wednesday. Now we get the joy of emailing and mailing it all over and scrambling to order things we need to begin operating

I am getting carpal tunnel from distributer/dealer apps.

You are gonna have an easier time of it though, I have to weed through distributers to find ones that won't rape on shipping.  Check by Fax  can be an easy process or as drawn out as a full credit app.  

I have been going steady for over 2 weeks sending out the FFL, I tried to get as many accounts as possible ahead of time with just the business license, but many places won't talk to you or want a huge buy in if that is all you have.

I made up a excel worksheet with name, contact info, website, account info, shipping notes, product notes and login info for all the outfits I deal for.  Makes life easier.

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Still waiting...

The BATF actually came out a 2nd time, on Monday afternoon for a few followup questions.

I understand there are delays involved when dealing with a govt agency... but it's starting to actually cost me money now. I opened the shop awhile, since I can at least run the indoor range and sell ammo without the FFL... but I probably could have sold several firearms and done a few transfers if I had that damn piece of paper in my hands.

The app was mailed 4/9 and check cashed 4/15.

I thought by law they only had 60 days to process the applications ?
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#40]
We mailed our app in mid-January, date on the license was May 1.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I thought by law they only had 60 days to process the applications ?

Somewhere in the FAQ's is says that is true, but if there are any questions or mistakes those can delay things for up to another 60 days.  Seems like virtually anything can be a mistake too.  

Start lining things out and getting the forms you need and a contact list made and get accounts with distributers that you can get accounts with and make the most of the down time.  Last couple weeks has been a blur of getting accounts and ordering and I can't keep track of the mess.

I had accounts with several of the major dealers already so all it took afterwards was am ffl to get guns, but I was able to get accessories ahead of time through some of them.  Some distributers have pretty extensive application processes and getting what you can ready or done right now will save you frustration later.  

It has been a flurry of activity and I see the shop address and FFL # when I close my eyes at night, but it is fun in a way.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I called Atlanta yesterday morning.

The gal told me the license is approved and they are just waiting for paperwork to arrive from the Lansdale office before issuing the license.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Called BATF again today... and was told the FFL was mailed out yesterday the 30th.

Looks like we're now "in the system".

Link Posted: 7/1/2010 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Congrats. I'd suggest you join the Super Secret FFL Forum but it seems to be having web issues at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#46]
We are doing some work on the back end databases so we just shut off the accounts for a while as we do it.  Check it out later tonight :)

Link Posted: 7/1/2010 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Congrats. I'd suggest you join the Super Secret FFL Forum but it seems to be having web issues at the moment.

Just tried to get on...
I can't register on the site until I get all the numbers from the FFL...  The BATF only gave me the numbers needed to confirm via EZ check.

Hopefully it will show up in my mailbox tomorrow or Saturday.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#48]
You can use the shorter version if you like, doesnt need to be the full number.

The other numbers are just expiry, state and county info.

Link Posted: 7/2/2010 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You can use the shorter version if you like, doesnt need to be the full number.

The other numbers are just expiry, state and county info.

Done.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#50]
We have had a few issues with new users who registered since 6PM yesterday and the accounts may not have taken.  I think we found the issue now, so you should be able to try it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top