Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2009 5:15:16 PM EDT
I am setting up a website with a shopping cart, and have been told by 3 hosting companies that it is a violation of their terms of use. Sounds pretty stupid to me. They recommended a dedicated host...Cost:$419/mo. I am looking for web hosting not a car payment.

Any ideas or help guys?
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I moved my site to GoDaddy. No problem so far.

CEW
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the webhosts saying that running a shopping cart is itself against their ToS, or is the firearms-related part that they're giving you trouble with?

If it's the first, then I'd advise staying away from that host if their servers can't even handle a relatively low-traffic cart system.  Redirecting you to a dedicated host is deceptive on their part, unless you plan on having the volume of traffic that the largest shops and distributors see.

If they're anti-firearm, then move on.  There are plenty of other hosts.  The first one that comes to mind is dreamhost.com (if you use promo code MAX2009 the entire first year will cost $22, increasing to something like $120/year afterward), but there are still many others that might even be a better choice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I registered my domain name with GoDaddy and a couple of days later spoke with a guy from GoDaddy about hosting my site.  He ask what I would be needing and what the business was going to sell.  I told him i would need a cart and I would be selling guns/gun parts/gun services and he did not bat an eye at it.  I have not set it up yet as I am still waiting on my ffl.  Give GoDaddy a call.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for godaddy, this is their response to my e-mail with this same question,

"Thank you for contacting Online Support. The merchant providers we go through do not allow firearm sales. You would need to find a different merchant provider that would allow those types of sales. We work with most merchant providers. We also have other options of payments you can use such as 'Print and Call' or 'PayPal'.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Regards,"

Godaddy seems to have reasonable hosting plans from what I have seen.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm using godaddy to host and working on zencart right now for my shopping cart.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Blue host was the name of the host...and firearms, actually any weapons was against their policies.

I will be looking into Godaddy then.

Guys, as usual, you come through! A big fat THANKS!
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an FFL and own a web development company where we host websites on our own hosting servers. If any FFL needs hosting just email or IM me, I'll definitely hook you up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Interesting.  From GoDaddy's website - http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/legal_agreements/show_doc.asp?isc=goaz2001m&se=%2B&pageid=webstore_prohibited_items_policy

Go Daddy
Web Store Prohibited Items Policy

Following are some of the items which are prohibited from sale on Your web store. Go Daddy retains sole and absolute discretion to modify this list at any time, and reserves the sole right to determine whether the sale of any particular item is prohibited.

Please note You are responsible for ensuring that any product posted for sale on Your web store is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Any item that is deemed by Go Daddy to be illegal for sale, or to fall within one or more of the following categories, is subject to immediate removal. Violations of this Policy may also result in a range of other actions, including but not limited to limits on account privileges, account suspension, account cancellation and/or forfeit of fees on cancelled listings.

You may contact Go Daddy to report suspected violations of this Policy. If you are a copyright or trademark holder who believes that your intellectual property rights have been violated, please contact us by following the procedures outlined in the Go Daddy Trademark and/or Copyright Infringement Policy.

* Alcoholic beverages, including wine.
   * Controlled substances and illegal drugs. This includes, but is not limited to, items used to manufacture controlled substances and/or drug paraphernalia.
   * Credit or debit cards (active or inactive).
   * Domain names.
   * Electronic surveillance equipment.
   * Firearms, ammunition, and weapons.

I'd be afriad they would shut my site down if I started with them.

JWC
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interesting.  From GoDaddy's website - http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/legal_agreements/show_doc.asp?isc=goaz2001m&se=%2B&pageid=webstore_prohibited_items_policy

Go Daddy

Following are some of the items which are prohibited from sale on Your web store. Go Daddy retains sole and absolute discretion to modify this list at any time, and reserves the sole right to determine whether the sale of any particular item is prohibited.

Please note You are responsible for ensuring that any product posted for sale on Your web store is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Any item that is deemed by Go Daddy to be illegal for sale, or to fall within one or more of the following categories, is subject to immediate removal. Violations of this Policy may also result in a range of other actions, including but not limited to limits on account privileges, account suspension, account cancellation and/or forfeit of fees on cancelled listings.

You may contact Go Daddy to report suspected violations of this Policy. If you are a copyright or trademark holder who believes that your intellectual property rights have been violated, please contact us by following the procedures outlined in the Go Daddy Trademark and/or Copyright Infringement Policy.

* Controlled substances and illegal drugs. This includes, but is not limited to, items used to manufacture controlled substances and/or drug paraphernalia.
   * Domain names.

JWC

I have them but not a web store just hosting and maintaining my site.   It's guncrank.com  so it ani't like I am hiding any thing from anybody.

CEW
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting. From GoDaddy's website - http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/legal_agreements/show_doc.asp?isc=goaz2001m&se=%2B&pageid=webstore_prohibited_items_policy

Go Daddy

* Domain names.

JWC

I have them but not a web store just hosting and maintaining my site. It's guncrank.com so it ani't like I am hiding any thing from anybody.

CEW

Same thing here....I just use them as a host..... I'll use zen cart for my shopping cart, not go-daddy's cart.

Those regs are for their cart, not their hosting service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top